13 Shaq Lawson DE Clemson 1 Official Visit
14 Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville 1 Official Visit
24 R Nkemdiche DT Ole Miss 1 Official Visit
33 Paxton Lynch QB Memphis 1-2 Official Visit
38 Derrick Henry RB Alabama 1-2 Official Visit
43 Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh 2 Official Visit
116 Paul Perkins RB UCLA 3-4 Official Visit
549 Ryan Brown DE Mississippi State - - Official Visit
Looking at the visit list of past years it seems that we don't bring in many more than about 8-12 1st round guys and judging by this list it seems we are already at 11 if you count Lynch, which I do, and even 12 if you want to count Nkemdiche. It's interesting because it seems that we are bringing guys in for visits with a trade down in mind (Rankins, Lawson, Treadwell, Lynch, Hargreaves, maybe Elliott) and then of course guys that are considerations at 4 in Bosa, Ramsey, the QB's and Buckner.

I can't see us bringing in many more 1st round prospects since we have already brought in 16 of 30 with only about 3 guys so far who will go in the 2nd-3rd. With this heavy emphasis on 1st round prospects, especially with so many guys in the 10-20ish range, it seems that we are preparing for either a trade down from 4 or a trade back up from 34.

Let's just hope that one way or another we end up with one of these 3 QB's.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4750283/cowboys-scheduled-to-have-six-qbs-visit-valley-ranch

IRVING, Texas -- While owner and general manager Jerry Jones said every decision the Dallas Cowboys will make in the draft will be with the idea that Tony Romo will be their quarterback for the next 4-5 years, it is not stopping the team from doing all of the legwork on the most important position.

Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch will visit Valley Ranch this week but they have already been linked to the Cowboys through the Senior Bowl, where they coached Wentz, or private workouts.

The Cowboys will also have Christian Hackenberg, Connor Cook and Jacoby Brissett at their facility for pre-draft visits.

The Cowboys have not filled their backup quarterback spot in free agency and currently have Kellen Moore and Jameill Showers behind Romo on the roster.

Hackenberg, Cook and Brissett would be options beyond the first round. The Cowboys had a private workout with Hackenberg recently.

Hackenberg had the look of a possible No. 1 overall pick as a freshman when he played for Bill O’Brien. His career took a downturn after O’Brien left for the Houston Texans. Hackenberg’s skills did not seem to mesh with the system used by new coach James Franklin.

In 2013, Hackenberg had 20 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions. In 2014 he had 12 touchdowns and 15 interceptions and he had 16 touchdowns and six picks in 2015 but completed just 53 percent of his passes.

Cook was a three-year starter at Michigan State and finished with 70 touchdowns and 21 interceptions. He has played in plenty of big games but is he a long-term solution? Brissett had 43 touchdowns and 11 picks in his two full seasons as the starter at NC State. He has prototypical size (6-foot-4, 235) but did not take many chances down the field. The Cowboys coaches met with him at the Senior Bowl.

------------------

Interesting if we don't bring in Prescott for a visit. I also read that we are bringing in Karl Joseph, so the visit total should be up around 20.

At the end of the day, I really do not want Cook or Hackenberg in the 2nd, if we take one of them in the 3rd I might be ok with it but I would much rather just spend a 1st on one of the top 3 rather than take one of these fools in the 3rd, and definitely not in the 2nd.

Brissett, like Prescott, is a waste of time. He may develop into a decent backup so if we take him in the 4th or 5th I guess I couldn't complain but it doesn't do much for our long term plans at QB.

Let's just hope these fools fall into getting one of the top 3 because it seems quite likely that while they'd like to grab one of the top guys, they'd be just as satisfied with one of these other schlubs later in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like this. He certainly isn't a sleeper but he just has the look of a complete NFL safety to me. Someone who can tackle well and cover well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]

Will Fuller has confirmed via Twitter he has a visit.

Cotton

Staff member
[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]

Will Fuller has confirmed via Twitter he has a visit.
They'll hand him a list of questions and he will promptly drop it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They'll hand him a list of questions and he will promptly drop it.
Amari Cooper and Mike Evans had some of the most drops of any NFL WRs last year. I bet you'd want nothing to do with either of them as well...

Cotton

Staff member
Amari Cooper and Mike Evans had some of the most drops of any NFL WRs last year. I bet you'd want nothing to do with either of them as well...
Neither of them are body-catchers. I've already made this point. Move on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A'Shawn Robinson will be part of the Dallas Day visits on Friday.

Cotton

Staff member
So you don't care about if they catch the ball or not lol
You can coach drops out of players. It's much harder to coach body-catching out of a player. Big difference.

Cotton

Staff member
Why is that? Other then a fabricated justification because you don't like Fuller.
Because most of the time (almost all of the time) when a receiver is a body catcher it's the only way they safely catch the ball. They aren't talented enough to catch it away from their body, which inherently leads to even more drops because they are letting the ball get into their body. And, since they can't catch it away from their body, the talent can't be coached into them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And, since they can't catch it away from their body, the talent can't be coached into them.
I can show you plenty of catches where Fuller catches the ball away from his body. Hell, just watch the combine and you'll see him catching the ball away from his body the entire day. So no, just because a guy catches some balls against his body doesn't mean he can't catch them away from his body. Usually it's just a confidence issue or a concentration issue. But if the guy displays legit hand eye coordination and an ability to high point the ball it's just as easy as anything to coach out of them.

It's just funny that the guys who lead the NFL in drops are not considered body catchers. Yet you claim that the term "body catchers" means it will lead to the most drops.

Cotton

Staff member
I can show you plenty of catches where Fuller catches the ball away from his body. Hell, just watch the combine and you'll see him catching the ball away from his body the entire day. So no, just because a guy catches some balls against his body doesn't mean he can't catch them away from his body. Usually it's just a confidence issue or a concentration issue. But if the guy displays legit hand eye coordination and an ability to high point the ball it's just as easy as anything to coach out of them.

It's just funny that the guys who lead the NFL in drops are not considered body catchers. Yet you claim that the term "body catchers" means it will lead to the most drops.
Dude, two words. Terrance. Williams. Case closed, counselor.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Don't want another bodycatcher on the team. He has issues or it wouldn't be talked about by mediots or even fans. Williams hasn't been able to correct his issues so let's compound it by adding another one. Luckily I don't think Dallas will have to worry about him as he will probably be gone by our second pick.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because most of the time (almost all of the time) when a receiver is a body catcher it's the only way they safely catch the ball. They aren't talented enough to catch it away from their body, which inherently leads to even more drops because they are letting the ball get into their body. And, since they can't catch it away from their body, the talent can't be coached into them.
Tell that to Michael Irvin who also caught most of his passes with his body.

Top Bottom