Who would you trade Dak Prescott for?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They were discussing this today on Cowboys Break, when some idiot called in and asked wouldn't Dallas have been in better position if they traded Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott this offseason in a "modern day Herschel Walker trade" for tons of defensive help and then just kept Romo and brought in Adrian Peterson in free agency. This is of course the dumbest idea I've ever heard, but it got me thinking.

Is there any player out there today you'd trade Dak for, straight up?

For all my Tony Romo support, I'm not sure there is. If so, it's like another second or third year QB like Carson Wentz. Not even sure I'd do Andrew Luck.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Nobody. There isn't one single player, or really even a group of players I would trade him away for. You don't luck into a franchise QB just to trade him away.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Which is interesting in the sense of, do you know how Bill Simmons does those NBA trade value player rankings?

Not saying Dak Prescott is the best player in the NFL, but is he the most valuable trade asset in the league, given his success, his contract, his position, and his age?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody. There isn't one single player, or really even a group of players I would trade him away for. You don't luck into a franchise QB just to trade him away.
Yeah, it's hard because I've never seen a QB so successful so early in his career. I can try to project that someone like Andrew Luck or Carson Wentz is this successful in our offense but it's all projection because they haven't done it in their offenses. So no, I'm not sure there is a QB I'd trade Dak for. Which I'm sure some experts would say I'm silly for saying that. But I don't want an older QB to come in for 2 years and than retire. We have the chance to be really good for the next decade. And I don't want to blow all of that for a slightly better chance at a Superbowl for the next couple years.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I would trade Prescott for luck in a heartbeat. That seems like a no-brainer to me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Heck I'd probably trade him for Rodgers or Brady as well. I feel like we'd be instant favorites to win the Super Bowl with either of those quarterbacks.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Heck I'd probably trade him for Rodgers or Brady as well. I feel like we'd be instant favorites to win the Super Bowl with either of those quarterbacks.
Those guys are at the end of their career. The window for Prescott is HUGE. Also, his cap hit is negligible.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would trade Prescott for luck in a heartbeat. That seems like a no-brainer to me.
Yeah the only thing that makes me hesitant with Luck is that he has been so INT happy over his career. And it's probably a result of playing on such a shitty roster but his teams have been so average that it makes me think a little. Plus his contract would be cost prohibitive. Which is why he has less talent around him.

The older QBs who are obviously better like Rodgers and Brady are great except they are into their mid thirties or worse. Rodgers at 33 behind our Oline could probably play 4 years. Brady who knows how much longer before he retires. He could stop any day now, he has already accomplished everything there is to accomplish.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Dak is easily the most valuable asset in the league. A 23 year old franchise QB going into the second year of his rookie contract? Trading him for anybody else in the league would be pure stupidity. Guys like Brady (2-3 years left tops before he's done) and Rodgers (maybe 5 more years) are winding down their careers, and also getting paid handsomely. Luck is getting paid over 20 million a year, and he's thrown 25 picks over the past 2 seasons.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd trade Dak for Carson Wentz. If they needed a sweetner to give him up, I guess I could throw in Zeke. And maybe a couple Olinemen.

:unsure

townsend

Banned
Luck has been pretty injury prone. Dak seems a little sturdier, and he had a way better rookie season than Luck. I think you'd be hard pressed to say Luck will be the superior QB next season.
Matt Ryan is the only guy I would say definitely projects as a better value over the next 10 years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd trade Dak for Carson Wentz. If they needed a sweetner to give him up, I guess I could throw in Zeke. And maybe a couple Olinemen.

Wentz could be the next Luck if he got some people that could catch. Glad to see they really did not give him more reliable weapons.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wentz could be the next Luck if he got some people that could catch. Glad to see they really did not give him more reliable weapons.
Yeah, they had the opportunity to give him both good WRs and a good RB in the draft the way it fell. I was surprised they decided to go more defense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like the two guys in the conversation are Luck and Wentz.

Matt Ryan or any of the over-30 QBs.... no, too short a shelf life.

D

Deuce

I don't trade Dak for Brady. Even if it were a 1 year window, a Super Bowl victory is worth 10 years of rebuilding.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They did sign Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith though.
Jeffrey will miss a quarter of the season with a soft tissue injury. Smith is average. They had a chance to kill it in the draft and they whiffed.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I can't think of anyone you would trade a 23 year old QB for who just had that kind of season.

You could literally be trading away a contender for GOAT.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

You are a dirty Dakota whore...

Top Bottom