Draft Scenarios...

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Jerry better start letting his people do their God damn mother fucking jobs!! I'm tired of this shit !!!

It's Monday, just had to get that out.

That is all, Thank you

stubbie

Not So New Member
I totally understand everyone ripping our front office. The 2000s were bad. But please get your heads out of your a$$es and notice that we have done pretty good since 2011 in drafting.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I totally understand everyone ripping our front office. The 2000s were bad. But please get your heads out of your a$$es and notice that we have done pretty good since 2011 in drafting.
We have still been barely average in the 3rd round and later.

stubbie

Not So New Member

OK...in your opinion. But what team is better than average? Other than New England and Pittsburgh, not many teams are lighting it up. Be happy we have hit on some at the top of the draft. Playing Madden has ruined a lot of peoples reality in football...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
OK...in your opinion. But what team is better than average? Other than New England and Pittsburgh, not many teams are lighting it up. Be happy we have hit on some at the top of the draft. Playing Madden has ruined a lot of peoples reality in football...
Who are you proud of 3rd round or later since 2011?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes, in my opinion. I mean, this is a msg board. It's kind of what they are for... to give people an open forum to express their opinions.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Who are you proud of 3rd round or later since 2011?
Hitchens in 4th round 2014
Wilcox...not a steal, but a starter...3rd round 2013
Tyrone Crawford 3rd round in 2012
Kyle Wilber 4th round in 2012
James Hanna 6th round in 2012
DeMarco Murray 3rd round in 2011
Dwayne Harris 6th round in 2011

All pro players, maybe not. But some solid picks that have contributed on the field. You want something better, play Madden.

Any other questions?

stubbie

Not So New Member
Yes, in my opinion. I mean, this is a msg board. It's kind of what they are for... to give people an open forum to express their opinions.
Exactly...and not everyone agrees with yours....:art

Rev

Staff member
Hitchens in 4th round 2014
Wilcox...not a steal, but a starter...3rd round 2013
Tyrone Crawford 3rd round in 2012
Kyle Wilber 4th round in 2012
James Hanna 6th round in 2012
DeMarco Murray 3rd round in 2011
Dwayne Harris 6th round in 2011

All pro players, maybe not. But some solid picks that have contributed on the field. You want something better, play Madden.

Any other questions?
I was just wondering. No need to get your panties in a wad. I don't agree with some of them but if you are that is fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the average? I think all teams generally speaking have a ton of misses. As fans of the Cowboys I think we are much harder in judging our teams drafting then other teams drafting. I'd say our recent history in the draft is actually very good. We have hit big on a lot of our first and second round picks. Most teams can't even accomplish that. The Patriots for example took Easley in the first round who has been a bust, Aaron Dobson in the second round who has been a massive bust, and Tavon Wilson who isn't even with the team anymore (Second round bust). But yet most applaud them as great drafters.

Rev

Staff member
What is the average? I think all teams generally speaking have a ton of misses. As fans of the Cowboys I think we are much harder in judging our teams drafting then other teams drafting. I'd say our recent history in the draft is actually very good. We have hit big on a lot of our first and second round picks. Most teams can't even accomplish that. The Patriots for example took Easley in the first round who has been a bust, Aaron Dobson in the second round who has been a massive bust, and Tavon Wilson who isn't even with the team anymore (Second round bust). But yet most applaud them as great drafters.
I don't think anybody is upset with the Cowboys in the first round or second round (with the exception of Escobar). After that I think the confidence level lowers. I don't know why it's a bad thing to think that but I guess it is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think anybody is upset with the Cowboys in the first round or second round (with the exception of Escobar). After that I think the confidence level lowers. I don't know why it's a bad thing to think that but I guess it is.
Sure but isn't that true with most teams? I mean the later in the draft you get the less likely you are to "hit" on a player? I get the frustration though. I mean I feel like I could do better drafting on the third day and beyond then the Cowboys have been doing. But I see other NFL teams draft some really random bad reaches too so I have no real concept of how we compare with other teams.

stubbie

Not So New Member
My problem is people acting like we haven't done squat in the draft...ever.

Rev

Staff member
Sure but isn't that true with most teams? I mean the later in the draft you get the less likely you are to "hit" on a player? I get the frustration though. I mean I feel like I could do better drafting on the third day and beyond then the Cowboys have been doing. But I see other NFL teams draft some really random bad reaches too so I have no real concept of how we compare with other teams.
I really don't have the time or want to pay attention to other teams to know about who is better or not. I just see the players that we have and know I'm not satisfied with the ones we have chosen in those rounds for the most part almost every year.

stubbie

Not So New Member
I really don't have the time or want to pay attention to other teams to know about who is better or not. I just see the players that we have and know I'm not satisfied with the ones we have chosen in those rounds for the most part almost every year.
Are you ever happy unless a Super Bowl ring is received at the end of the year?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The draft hasn't happened yet and some have already thrown in the towel. Maybe it will be productive who knows. No point in all the angst until after the fact.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just see the players that we have and know I'm not satisfied with the ones we have chosen in those rounds for the most part almost every year.
I think odds are the later in the draft you get the less you'll like the picks though. The very nature of the draft is that the later you get in the draft the less "predictable" the picks are. Which is why people are bound to be more dissatisfied with picks later in the draft. But hey, I disliked Chaz Green as much as anyone. I had no problem with guys like Wilson and Russel even though they weren't names I was looking at and wanting. I can recognize that they both have specific talents that could develop nicely in our system.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas usually doesn't have a problem drafting when they stick to their board.

They get in trouble when they overreact based on what happened in the previous season or "target special teams".

And it's also OK to target need. Just don't overreact or fall in love projecting all the answers to your troubles on the best available draftee.

Right way: Need OL, trade down to get the best available in Frederick and grab an extra pick (Williams). They hedged the loss of potential value by acquiring an extra draft pick and still landed a multi-year starter.

Wrong way: Need Pass Defense, trade up losing a 2nd round pick to get Morris Claiborne, overlooking his wonderlic score and overrating him in the process. They literally called him the best CB prospect since Deion Sanders... one year after Patrick Peterson was drafted. That's how delusional need had twisted them.

Had they not traded and stuck to their guns they probably end up with Michael Brockers and Bobby Wagner.

Top Bottom