PFT: Ezekiel Elliott wants to be a “more dominant” second-level runner

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ezekiel Elliott wants to be a “more dominant” second-level runner
Posted by Josh Alper on May 9, 2017, 6:58 AM EDT

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott said recently that he thinks the team just scratched the surface of what it is capable of doing while going 13-3 during the 2016 season and his fellow 2016 rookie sensation has identified one area where he can do more.

Running back Ezekiel Elliott led the league in rushing during his first NFL season and had the most runs of 20-plus yards of any player in the league to help him get to that spot, so it wouldn’t seem that he had problems getting to the second level or making things happen once he got there. Elliott sees room for improvement, though.

“I just want to work on being a more dominant, second-level runner,” Elliott said, via the team’s website. “I think a couple of times last year I could’ve been more elusive when I got to the second level. I just want to focus on altering my runs.”

Assuming the Cowboys offensive line maintains a similar level of performance, Elliott should find himself with plenty of chances to show off his skills at the second level. If they are more impressive than last year, Elliott should be seeing a lot of the end zone in 2017.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Elliott doesn't seem to be a juking kind of runner unless you count hurdling as juking.

He's more physical than elusive.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Elliott doesn't seem to be a juking kind of runner unless you count hurdling as juking.

He's more physical than elusive.
He isn't elusive in a flashy way but I think he varies his speed and can accelerate quickly to pull away or get the corner once a defender slows down or tries to mimic his movement to close on him.

dallen

Senior Tech
He isn't Le'Veon Bell or Barry Sanders but I wouldn't say he isn't elusive

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No one said he's not elusive. Every successful runner has some elusiveness.

That's not Zekes game though, especially at the second level after his burst.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
No one said he's not elusive. Every successful runner has some elusiveness.

That's not Zekes game though, especially at the second level after his burst.
But he seems to recognize that his game needs work in that regard, and I'd imagine we'll see more juking and less shoulder blocks this year.

The less hits he's taking the better. And if he makes one guy miss in the secondary it's daylight all day.

Cotton

Staff member
But he seems to recognize that his game needs work in that regard, and I'd imagine we'll see more juking and less shoulder blocks this year.

The less hits he's taking the better. And if he makes one guy miss in the secondary it's daylight all day.
He has been quoting as saying that he ran into people last year to set a tone. I'm quite positive he will avoid contact a little more this year.

data

Forbes #1
As long as getting fancy doesn't lead to fumbles.

Top Bottom