Archer: Cowboys putting La'el Collins on the move to right tackle

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys putting La'el Collins on the move to right tackle
7:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas – At several different stops along the offseason path, Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team’s preference was to keep La’el Collins at left guard in 2017.

The Cowboys opened their on-field teaching sessions last week and Collins worked solely at right tackle.

It doesn’t sound like a temporary move.

"He wants me to start there and hit it full speed,” Collins said Sunday as the Cowboys and the North Texas Food Bank hosted the Taste of the Cowboys event at the Ford Center at The Star. “We’ll see where it goes.”

The Cowboys have a vacancy at right tackle with the retirement of Doug Free. The Cowboys had Chaz Green, a third-round pick in 2015, and signed free agent Byron Bell in line to replace Free, but Collins, who has started 14 games in his first two seasons at left guard, is apparently getting the first crack.

Collins saw a little bit of work at tackle as a rookie in 2015 but he was moved to guard almost immediately. He started 11 games and the first three last year before his season ended with a toe injury.

The Cowboys will hold their second week of teaching sessions in which the offense and defense do not compete against each other. By putting Collins at tackle now, they are giving him a chance to ease into the position knowing he could move back to guard if he struggles or if Green, who has been slowed by injuries his first two seasons, or Bell prove capable of winning the job.

With Collins at tackle, Jonathan Cooper has worked at left guard with the first team line.

Leading into the 2015 draft, Collins was viewed by some teams as a tackle – he played left tackle his final two seasons at LSU – or guard.

“For me, man, it’s weird. I just kind of feel like I can play anywhere,” Collins said. “I feel like I can play all the positions other than center. I don’t know if I can do that. Travis [Frederick] has got a tough job. It’s harder than it looks. But I feel like I can play anywhere and just the mentality of I don’t care where I am, whoever’s in front of me I’m going to move him off the ball and that’s how it’s going to be done.”

Collins said his toe is 100 percent and does not require any extra rest. He said he will continue to wear a plate in his cleat for added protection, perhaps for the rest of his career. Listed at 315 pounds, Collins said he has lost 4 percent body fat (down from 22 percent) and added 5 percent of muscle.

“Head down, just working, that’s really what my life has been consisting of since I got hurt,” Collins said. “I turned it into an offseason [early], just putting the work in.”

Collins’ tackle experience in college will help his transition. So will playing between right guard Zack Martin, who has made the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons, and tight end Jason Witten, a 10-time Pro Bowler.

“Zack, I mean he’s the best in the business,” Collins said. “Him and Travis, those guys have helped me become the best pro [along] with me figuring this thing out. It’s great playing on the side of Zack and Witten. [Witten] hasn’t been there as much as we get started, but I’m pretty sure as we go on we’ll be on the side of each other more.”

Free started every game he played in 2010-16, including 60 straight games at right tackle. On a line with decorated players like Tyron Smith, Frederick and Martin, he was often overlooked, but he was the leader of the group.

Free had a retirement party last week in which he said goodbye but also left Collins with a message: keep working.

“Actually I forgot how good it felt to be on the edge out there, out there on that island,” Collins said. “We haven’t done too much yet. We’re working plays against air. That’s it. But it feels good.”

Just as most of us wanted.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Here comes the boom!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as most of us wanted.
Yeah with his quick feet and power I thought he would make an excellent RT. My only concern now though is who do we play at LG. I know we have put Jonathan Cooper there but I have serious concerns about a guy who has bounced around to 3 different teams this early in his career. He is a first round bust at this point. Now maybe Dallas can revive that career and I know a lot of his set backs have been a result of injury but that's not exactly who I want to be counting on to hold down the LG spot. I guess I'll just hope he turns into this years Marc Colombo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Chaz Green could be moved to guard. Better to have a three man competition between Bell, Cooper, and Green at guard, where they can be helped by Frederick and Smith, with the more talented player in Collins the one who is out on the island at RT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chaz Green could be moved to guard. Better to have a three man competition between Bell, Cooper, and Green at guard, where they can be helped by Frederick and Smith, with the more talented player in Collins the one who is out on the island at RT.
Has Chaz ever played guard? I've always thought of him as more of a pure OT.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like when Green came out, they talked about him at guard potentially.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
But I feel like I can play anywhere and just the mentality of I don’t care where I am, whoever’s in front of me I’m going to move him off the ball and that’s how it’s going to be done.”
Love it and looking forward to him picking up LBs and safeties on some big Zeke runs.

D

Deuce

We should be able to hide a marginal talent at LG with Tyron and Fredbeard on either side of him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We can get by just fine with Bell or Cooper starting at LG.
Will have to see about that. Leary played really well and all three are big steps down. Plus we ran to the left a lot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Will have to see about that. Leary played really well and all three are big steps down. Plus we ran to the left a lot.
If these coaches can't figure out a way to work around one sub-Pro Bowl caliber lineman then they should be fired.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like when Green came out, they talked about him at guard potentially.
This was the closest I could find:

Played left and right tackle at Florida. Might have the athleticism and functional strength to play all five O-line positions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If these coaches can't figure out a way to work around one sub-Pro Bowl caliber lineman then they should be fired.
Yeah if anything I think guys tend to look much better when they play for us than they do when they've moved on. It's why a guy like Jeremy Parnell was able to get a legit contract. Leary was also an undrafted guy who signed a big deal. Our coaches do a great job of coaching scrubs like that up.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Start with the head coach and I'm down with that.

midswat

... soon
On the one hand, RT is a lot more critical than LG, so I like the move.

On the other hand, we're taking a major strength and shuffling it around. No guarantee we're near as good along the OL as we were last year. We should he. But when its 4th and 1... wouldn't you love to have Elliott run behind Smith, Collins, and Frederick on the left side?

Actually, nevermind. Garrett and Linehan probably take Elliott off the field and go empty backfield low percentage pass to body catcher Terrance Williams in that situation.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But when its 4th and 1... wouldn't you love to have Elliott run behind Smith, Collins, and Frederick on the left side?
That sounds great. But couldn't we run on the right side behind Frederick, Martin, and Collins on 4th and 1?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
On the one hand, RT is a lot more critical than LG, so I like the move.

On the other hand, we're taking a major strength and shuffling it around. No guarantee we're near as good along the OL as we were last year. We should he. But when its 4th and 1... wouldn't you love to have Elliott run behind Smith, Collins, and Frederick on the left side?

Actually, nevermind. Garrett and Linehan probably take Elliott off the field and go empty backfield low percentage pass to body catcher Terrance Williams in that situation.
La'el Collins will be an upgrade over Free at RT.

LG will be the one marginal question mark, but Cooper and Green both have talent and could convert to solid starters there, and Bell is a veteran who shouldn't be a liability.

I think we'll be fine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only thing that bothers me about the move is that Collins has been on the left side through college and also his pro career.

As Rob Pettiti should have taught us, switching sides is like really really hard.

Top Bottom