Archer: In Cole Beasley, Ryan Switzer, Cowboys go 'Dak friendly'

townsend

Banned
We all know that's bullshit. Right now he's a lot more RG3 (eerily similar stats) than Aikman, and we know how that turned out.
Wow. There are no words to describe how stupid this is.

Post less, seriously.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
His rookie stats say he's the greatest QB of all time.

We all know that's bullshit. Right now he's a lot more RG3 (eerily similar stats) than Aikman, and we know how that turned out.
:doh

This guy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Robert Griffin ran for 815 yards as a rookie. Dak ran for 282 yards and most of them weren't on designed runs. To compare the two's rookie seasons is ridiculous. And I'm sure if Griffin's body could hold up to running the ball 120 times a season he could still be successful. But no NFL QB can handle that type of a running load.

In Daks favor too is the fact that he physically is built more like a RB. He is thick throughout his entire body. Griffin has those chicken legs that are just not built for an NFL beating.
Exactly.

To suggest that Dak and RG3's rookie seasons were anything alike is ridiculous.

townsend

Banned
You know who had nearly an identical number of rushing attempts his rookie year? Ben Roethlisberger. (Admittedly he got way less yards, first downs, and TDs than Dak, but the point is 60ish rush attempts isn't out of hand for a pocket passer)

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You are reading way to much into it.

Griffin was not mentally capable of being an NFL QB. Shanahan knew it. That is why he dumbed down the Redskin offense to suit his physical skills.

Once the physical skills were gone, he was toast. It has been proven since.

Prescott isn't even the same kind of player. He at least tries to embrace the idea of functioning within an offense not predicated on his legs and shows a hell of a lot better on the field in terms of making decisions.
That's kind of what I was saying with him refusing to run any offense but the read option.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are hard pressed to find any rookie starter in the NFL history that has performance stats like Prescott.

townsend

Banned
You are hard pressed to find any rookie starter in the NFL history that has performance stats like Prescott.
I think the absurdly low INT number will go up in the future. It's pretty obvious that he lucked out on some passes that could have been picked (I specifically remember some passes in the first Philly game got pretty damn erratic.)

But still he played at a pro bowl level, which is still nearly unprecedented for a rookie QB.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It really was a spectacular performance, which is why it is insult to claim that it was in any way, shape, or form even remotely similar to what RG3 (A QB who ran almost exclusively from the read option) did in his rookie season.

Sure, Prescott was fortunate to have a number of key factors in place when he took over the job, but so did Weeden, Cassell, and Moore, and none of them ever looked like a competent starter. But while he had the RB, WR, and great O-line, he still had to win games with his arm. He still had to make plays on his own and deliver in key situations and he did that time and time and time again.

Did they play it close to the vest at times? Of course. He was a rookie, so why wouldn't they? But neither the numbers nor the eye test support this idiotic insistence on Ravi's part that he played the bus driver role or ran this offensive scheme that was created on the crayon page of the playbook.

You would think that after the Green Bay playoff game where he played his finest game of the season in a game where he put up over 30 points (in the exact scenario Ravi said he wouldn't be to do it in) would be enough to finally make him stop living in this alternate reality that he has created in his own mind, but it hasn't.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Are we still taking about dinking and dunking or something else now? I think you missed my point.
The point in response to your post was that he's exactly the opposite of Aikman regarding expectations.

Aikman was a god who arrived on one of the most talentless teams Dallas has ever had. Maybe the most talentless. Despite his obvious skill, his coach went out of his way to replace or at least challenge him with Steve Walsh and Steve Beuerlein.

Dak was seen as a backup who arrived as starter on one of the most talented offensive rosters the Cowboys have ever had. Despite his being a rookie, his coach went out of his way to keep him as starter in favor of an incumbent who was more experienced, a better passer, and was denied even a chance to compete.

So, almost the exact opposite of Aikman.

And as for these RG3 discussions, people are ignoring the context that Daks rookie season was more like RG3 than it was like Aikmans.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
his coach went out of his way to keep him as starter in favor of an incumbent who was more experienced, a better passer, and was denied even a chance to compete.
:lol

You are still so butt hurt over Romo not getting the job back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Did they play it close to the vest at times? Of course. He was a rookie, so why wouldn't they? But neither the numbers nor the eye test support this idiotic insistence on Ravi's part that he played the bus driver role
You guys are just making things up. When have I ever called Dak a bus-driver? He's not.

I've always complained that the coaches have held him back and that they are afraid to attack when they need to.

You would think that after the Green Bay playoff game where he played his finest game of the season in a game where he put up over 30 points (in the exact scenario Ravi said he wouldn't be to do it in) would be enough to finally make him stop living in this alternate reality that he has created in his own mind, but it hasn't.
Are you shitting me? That was far from Dak's finest game. The early drives where we trailed 21-3 were clearly the difference in that game-- that and the interception and the unnecessary spike. One of those drives you can lay at the feet of the refs. The others are on the passing game.

And again, you're making stuff up. When did I say he could not put up 30 pionts??

In fact I've said he could score much, much more than that. Look at the Detroit game, where they finally untied his hand from behind his back (after the 1st quarter). THAT's what we should have seen vs Green Bay, or anyone else.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah because he has played every game for the last 5 years.
RG3 has missed 38 of a potential 64 games. He's brittle, and was not very good either.

Dak is clearly better. The net effect though of his controlled play are similar stats to RG3's rookie year. Much more similar to those than to Troy Aikman's.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
RG3 has missed 38 of a potential 64 games. He's brittle, and was not very good either.

Dak is clearly better. The net effect though of his controlled play are similar stats to RG3's rookie year. Much more similar to those than to Troy Aikman's.
Well we crossed wires. I was thought you were saying Romo wasnt brittle.

Top Bottom