Archer: In Cole Beasley, Ryan Switzer, Cowboys go 'Dak friendly'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In Cole Beasley, Ryan Switzer, Cowboys go 'Dak friendly'
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys selected Ryan Switzer in the fourth round of last week's draft, the receiver’s punt-return ability was lauded most.

He had a school-record seven punt returns for touchdowns at North Carolina, one shy of the NCAA record.

But the Cowboys have more visions for Switzer than just a punt returner. They view him as another Cole Beasley.

Beasley led the Cowboys with 75 receptions last season, quickly becoming a Dak Prescott favorite because of his ability to win on routes early.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones called Switzer a "Dak-friendly pick," which is perhaps the first time he swung the tag from "Romo friendly," to "Dak friendly."

The NFL is becoming -- or has become -- a "space player" game. Beasley is one of the more effective space players in the league. The New England Patriots operate one of the best offenses in the NFL without a narrowly defined No. 1 receiver by having space players like Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola.

Edelman, listed at 200 pounds, has a thicker build but has the quickness to find spots in the middle of the field. He also plays more on the outside with Amendola, listed at 190 pounds, playing mostly the slot. Beasley and Switzer are 5-foot-8 and weigh about 180 pounds.

Of Edelman’s 98 catches last season, 63 came from the slot. Of Amendola’s 23 catches, 20 came from the slot.

"He’s a very good inside receiver as a slot, a lot of the same traits that Cole Beasley has and his ability to get away from people in man-to-man coverage, to find soft spots in zone coverage, very productive, very quarterback-friendly," coach Jason Garrett said of Switzer. "You can see him playing in Beasley’s role. You can see him playing in an offensive package where both those guys are out on the field at the same time. Really a productive football player in everything they asked him to do, and he took advantage of his opportunities."

The Cowboys will have to show some creativity to get Beasley and Switzer on the field at the same time, especially with how well tight end Jason Witten works the middle of the field. Back in 2013, the Cowboys drafted tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round with the idea that he would be an Aaron Hernandez type to Witten's Rob Gronkowski type. It never happened in four years.

It is possible Switzer, who played running back in high school, can do some of the things in space the Cowboys asked Lance Dunbar and Lucky Whitehead to do the past few seasons, creating mismatches in the screen game or with jet sweeps.

Switzer, who helped Mitchell Trubisky become the No. 2 pick in the draft with 96 catches for 1,112 yards and six touchdowns last season, has studied Beasley a ton over the past few years.

"He plays the game the way it is supposed to be played," Switzer said. "He is a tough cover one-on-one and he knows how to work zones as well. This fourth year for me as a receiver was the best because the game slowed down for me. I was able to feel things out. I was able to read coverages post-snap. In the Carolina offense, we had a lot of post-snap route recognitions where we had to determine what route to run. I think that helped me a lot. Hopefully I can continue to grow because I know my ceiling is really high as a receiver."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In Cole Beasley, Ryan Switzer, Cowboys go 'Dak friendly'
Awesome... more Dakking and dunking.

Can't wait til Dak starts throwing bombs to dictate to the defense instead of being content to take what it gives him.

When the playoffs come and you're facing another great QB you have to be ready to attack from the first play.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Hmmm...I wonder who the record holder is for the all-time punt returns for touchdowns...

He happens to be a short, white badass as well.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Can't wait til Dak starts throwing bombs to dictate to the defense instead of being content to take what it gives him.

When the playoffs come and you're facing another great QB you have to be ready to attack from the first play.
Dak looks to be a passer in the mold of Aikman as far as expectations go. I love it. If we have the same exact plan and success it will be awesome. It works well for the Pats and other QB friendly systems go. Why make it harder than it needs to be? Why force the ball when you don't have to?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak looks to be a passer in the mold of Aikman as far as expectations go. I love it. If we have the same exact plan and success it will be awesome. It works well for the Pats and other QB friendly systems go. Why make it harder than it needs to be? Why force the ball when you don't have to?
Aikman was destined to be great. He had all the measurables and character. He didn't have to play the politician to become a leader, he led by example.

Aikman paid the price on terrible teams all the while getting mind-jobbed by Jimmy Johnson. By the time the rest of the team caught up to Troy in talent, Jimmy was finally firmly behind Troy.

Dak has been the opposite. An afterthought whom no one on this board wanted. He was given the starting job by his coach robotically over a better and more proven player. He didn't have to earn anything, walking onto a team with superstar talent. He had political training in college on how to gather support from those around him.

His rookie stats say he's the greatest QB of all time.

We all know that's bullshit. Right now he's a lot more RG3 (eerily similar stats) than Aikman, and we know how that turned out.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

We all know that's bullshit. Right now he's a lot more RG3 (eerily similar stats) than Aikman, and we know how that turned out.
RG3 was a read option QB and when defenses took that away he was done. Dak rarely looked to run other than a few planned draws in the redone and 3rd and short or as a last option.

His passing stats may be similar but I also think much of that was the coaches playing it safe with a rookie QB rather than it being all Dak is capable of.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
RG3 was a read option QB and when defenses took that away he was done. Dak rarely looked to run other than a few planned draws in the redone and 3rd and short or as a last option.

His passing stats may be similar but I also think much of that was the coaches playing it safe with a rookie QB rather than it being all Dak is capable of.
This is what we'd like to believe. Each had a rookie rusher win the rushing title. Each had 4 picks since they could choose their moments to pass with the defense focused on the running game. Also reminds me of Brian Griese's 2000 season when Mike Anderson had a dominant year rushing. 4 picks again.

BTW, it wasn't the read-option but a brittle body that did RG3 in.

Dak appears sturdier, but then again he rarely took punishment last year so you can't really tell. Literal opposite of Aikman.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Aikman was destined to be great. He had all the measurables and character. He didn't have to play the politician to become a leader, he led by example.

Aikman paid the price on terrible teams all the while getting mind-jobbed by Jimmy Johnson. By the time the rest of the team caught up to Troy in talent, Jimmy was finally firmly behind Troy.

Dak has been the opposite. An afterthought whom no one on this board wanted. He was given the starting job by his coach robotically over a better and more proven player. He didn't have to earn anything, walking onto a team with superstar talent. He had political training in college on how to gather support from those around him.

Are we still taking about dinking and dunking or something else now? I think you missed my point.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hmmm...I wonder who the record holder is for the all-time punt returns for touchdowns...

He happens to be a short, white badass as well.
I know! I know!

shane

DCC 4Life

McNabb made a nice little career out of dinking and dunking. Dak should only progress to throwing the deep ball when he is good and ready, until then he should take what the defense gives him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
McNabb made a nice little career out of dinking and dunking. Dak should only progress to throwing the deep ball when he is good and ready, until then he should take what the defense gives him.
We aren't seriously having this debate again are we? The dink and dunk shit has been disproven over and over.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We aren't seriously having this debate again are we? The dink and dunk shit has been disproven over and over.
Well it's the off-season and Ravi always gives us something to talk about.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
BTW, it wasn't the read-option but a brittle body that did RG3 in.
Bullshit. It was all read option that did him in. Griffin either refused to give up the run first crap, or was incapable of it. He took a lot of massive shots. He was far from brittle, as you claim. But nobody could have withstood that type of continuous punishment. Not even Mr. Iron Man himself, Brett Favre.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bullshit. It was all read option that did him in. Griffin either refused to give up the run first crap, or was incapable of it. He took a lot of massive shots. He was far from brittle, as you claim. But nobody could have withstood that type of continuous punishment. Not even Mr. Iron Man himself, Brett Favre.
Robert Griffin ran for 815 yards as a rookie. Dak ran for 282 yards and most of them weren't on designed runs. To compare the two's rookie seasons is ridiculous. And I'm sure if Griffin's body could hold up to running the ball 120 times a season he could still be successful. But no NFL QB can handle that type of a running load.

In Daks favor too is the fact that he physically is built more like a RB. He is thick throughout his entire body. Griffin has those chicken legs that are just not built for an NFL beating.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Sure would have been nice for all of that superstar talent to turn Cassel, Weeden, and anyone else who played QB for us last year into stars.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Robert Griffin ran for 815 yards as a rookie. Dak ran for 282 yards and most of them weren't on designed runs. To compare the two's rookie seasons is ridiculous. And I'm sure if Griffin's body could hold up to running the ball 120 times a season he could still be successful. But no NFL QB can handle that type of a running load.

In Daks favor too is the fact that he physically is built more like a RB. He is thick throughout his entire body. Griffin has those chicken legs that are just not built for an NFL beating.
Griffin has tiny joints. Dak is thick (no homo) everywhere.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You are reading way to much into it.

Griffin was not mentally capable of being an NFL QB. Shanahan knew it. That is why he dumbed down the Redskin offense to suit his physical skills.

Once the physical skills were gone, he was toast. It has been proven since.

Prescott isn't even the same kind of player. He at least tries to embrace the idea of functioning within an offense not predicated on his legs and shows a hell of a lot better on the field in terms of making decisions.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Remember when most people thought that Dak would be some kind of mulatto Tim Tebow without the Christ complex?

Top Bottom