Draft Scenarios...

townsend

Banned
I still hold out distant hope that Stephen has less of that wildcatter instinct that causes us to make boneheaded impulse decisions, as much as last year was a flop, not offering Murray the moon was a perfect demonstration of big picture thinking. The decision to not draft Manziel, and build up the line all seem like wise decision making.

The issue is that as long as Jerry is in charge, he will make snap judgments, that endanger the long term success of the team. I think once Jerry is out of the picture, which may be after ha abandoned this mortal coil, we'll see a lot more consistency.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I still hold out distant hope that Stephen has less of that wildcatter instinct that causes us to make boneheaded impulse decisions, as much as last year was a flop, not offering Murray the moon was a perfect demonstration of big picture thinking. The decision to not draft Manziel, and build up the line all seem like wise decision making.

The issue is that as long as Jerry is in charge, he will make snap judgments, that endanger the long term success of the team. I think once Jerry is out of the picture, which may be after ha abandoned this mortal coil, we'll see a lot more consistency.
I agree and I don't think it's a distant hope. I don't think for a second that Stephen is a "football guy" but I do think he is much more pragmatic, rational and measured, and all the items you point out demonstrate that. It would be unfortunate if he doesn't hire a true "GM", but for all we know McClay is basically functioning as our GM at this point, Jerry's insanity aside.

Once Jerry is gone I trust that Stephen will empower "football guys", if he hasn't already with McClay and this Vital guy.

Last offseason was solid by most accounts, despite what happened with the injury ravaged season, 2014 clearly was a success and if we stay healthy I think this offseason will prove to be very similar to 2014, assuming we can make another solid signing or two with a guy like Jason Jones.

The real measure of this offseason will be what we do in terms of drafting a QB, although I can't blame Stephen entirely if we fuck that up because if Jerry has any juice left whatsoever you know he will use it in this the type of circumstance, with a top 5 pick and his prodigal son Romo being questioned.

The fact that Stephen can at least formulate coherent, logical thoughts on the situation is encouraging despite Jerry's incoherent babbling.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eh, I certainly think over the course of 20+ years some things have changed. People change significantly over that much time. I hate the Garrett choice but we do other things better then we used to.
Bullshit. It just seems that way because Jerry isn't trading away prime choices like he used to.

townsend

Banned
Bullshit. It just seems that way because Jerry isn't trading away prime choices like he used to.
We've also been hitting on prime choices more often, 5 out of 6 first round picks seems unprecedented for this club. and aren't resigning every one year wonder to long lucrative contracts. That's what was amazing about letting Murray go, in no other era does Jerry let that happen. Hell we'd probably still be fighting through Laurent Robinson's 5 year contract if he had caught all those TDs a few years earlier.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
And, it all comes back to Jerry Jones. It's that damn simple.
And the crazy part is that he was voted executive of the year by the Pro Football Writers Association. For a guy that's pretty much the butt of everyone's jokes and who the media loves to poke fun at. Those very people voted him 2014 executive of the year? WTF?

How could this happen? Like.... Ever????!!!

5Ringzz

Brand New Member

My fear is that Stephen goes completely the other way with it though. Stephen seems to despise free agents and what they may command.

Elway didn't. He went from selling people on custom wheels, sport packages, heated seats and all wheel drive; to selling free agents like Ware, Talib, TJ Ward, Emmanuel Sanders, Owen Daniels, Evan Mathis... And of course Peyton... On his shiny new toy in Denver.

Sometimes you have to go out and get legit players to fill the gaps. Can't always wait for years on several rookies to develop when you have an aging top tier QB. Elway got Peyton and then started pulling the trigger from there. Stephen? Lmao! Dude won't do shit because he hates free agency. He hates it because his daddy traumatized him years ago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Jerry isn't doing what he used to. The very definition of change. Sounds like you agree with me.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Breaking news: Jerry Jones now has possession of a live forever formula. It was initially discovered by a distant relative Indiana Jones in the remote region of the Amazon River in South America. :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eh, I certainly think over the course of 20+ years some things have changed. People change significantly over that much time. I hate the Garrett choice but we do other things better then we used to.
Until a solid head coach is hired and we sustain any amount of success in the draft, I'm calling bullshit on this "changed" nonsense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until a solid head coach is hired and we sustain any amount of success in the draft, I'm calling bullshit on this "changed" nonsense.
When you set the standard for "success" in the draft at such a high unattainable level it becomes a selffullfilling prophecy. By the way, we will hire a new coach soon enough. Well unless the Cowboys do what we actually want and are really good.

Cotton

Staff member
When you set the standard for "success" in the draft at such a high unattainable level it becomes a selffullfilling prophecy. By the way, we will hire a new coach soon enough. Well unless the Cowboys do what we actually want and are really good.
I know we will eventually hire a new coach. But, I said solid head coach.

Cotton

Staff member
By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:

Question: How have the Cowboys done in the later rounds of the past few drafts in your opinion? I can't really pick out any good finds that they've snatched up. Dwayne Harris would get my vote for best pick but he's gone...

Gosselin: Past few? Try the past several drafts. This is where the Cowboys have fumbled the ball. When this franchise was competing for Super Bowls, Jimmy Johnson was finding gems in the later rounds -- a Leon Lett and a Brock Marion in the seventh, a Ron Stone in the fourth, Larry Brown in the 12th -- starter caliber players, in many cases Pro Bowl caliber players. But those contributing players from the later rounds have been absent for too long, which is why this team has been struggling. Every NFL team can have a good draft in the first three rounds of the draft, the premium rounds. Those players are by and large known commodities. But it's how well you fare in rounds four through seven that can make a good draft great.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

I also hold out hope that Stephen isn't as egotistical as Jerry and won't refuse to hire solid quality HC's for fear they may overshadow him and get credited if we win.

townsend

Banned
Of course we changed, because change is what defines this organization. Changing from drafting "right kind of guys", to bargain hunting for injury prone or criminally inclined talented players, to having a bunch of schlubs on our line to dedicating 3 out of 4 first round picks to the offensive line.

We draft depending on whether Jerry's been talking to Switzer or Garrett, or Holmgren or Lacewell or Stephen has been in Jerry's ear. We have an army of half ass GMs contributing to the stew, and the results are predictably discordant.

What's most laughable is in the midst of copy catting the Seahawks draft strategy, deciding that Romo should run his offense like Peyton. Going from pass first and pass often, to a balanced vertical deep passing power running offense, to a finesse short passing offense based around dump offs to Dunbar. Our favorite buzzword is Continuity. We've handed the guy who's only qualification is his lack of backbone the longest Dallas Cowboys Head Coaching tenure since Landry. Because we aren't just inconsistent, we're committed to be consistently inconsistent.

Jiggyfly

Banned
By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:

Question: How have the Cowboys done in the later rounds of the past few drafts in your opinion? I can't really pick out any good finds that they've snatched up. Dwayne Harris would get my vote for best pick but he's gone...

Gosselin: Past few? Try the past several drafts. This is where the Cowboys have fumbled the ball. When this franchise was competing for Super Bowls, Jimmy Johnson was finding gems in the later rounds -- a Leon Lett and a Brock Marion in the seventh, a Ron Stone in the fourth, Larry Brown in the 12th -- starter caliber players, in many cases Pro Bowl caliber players. But those contributing players from the later rounds have been absent for too long, which is why this team has been struggling. Every NFL team can have a good draft in the first three rounds of the draft, the premium rounds. Those players are by and large known commodities. But it's how well you fare in rounds four through seven that can make a good draft great.
Glad to know that Gosselin is your go to guy to back up your takes.:lol

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Bravo Townsend. That's exactly right. We don't have a consistent winning philosophy because we don't have a quality owner or GM. We have a novice who after 25+ years is just reactionary who constantly tries to immolate what someone else is doing. And since he has no clue himself he just jumps from one person to the next as to who he listens to.

Like you said, one moment they want Romo to be Peyton. Then they try the Pats 2 TE set and then the Seahawks strategy, etc. Problem is Romo isn't Peyton and our coaching staff doesn't know how to use 2 TE's like NE and staff can't draft like Seattle. Then we react to character problems by drafting RKG and team captains for a few years. But we eventually get risky and go back to taking chances on character prob. guys who fell. When that blows up on us we're back to drafting choir boys.

What we need is to develop our own identity and winning strategy but with the people running this organization they have no idea how to do that. So the cycle of chasing our tails will likely continue.

Cotton

Staff member
Glad to know that Gosselin is your go to guy to back up your takes.:lol
Just showing there are others out there that feel the same way.

data

Forbes #1
Slightly Above average drafts combined with slightly below average management/coaching. Sounds right for .500 ball. Super Bowl this year, though, right?

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Slightly Above average drafts combined with slightly below average management/coaching. Sounds right for .500 ball. Super Bowl this year, though, right?
Bargain basement free agent bottom feeding too. It worked for Elway when he was looking to add those final impact pieces

Top Bottom