Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott comfortable with Cowboys staff

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott comfortable with Cowboys staff
Jeffrey Kahn - 3 hours ago

Dak Prescott is starting to get comfortable with the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff.

Just last week, the former Mississippi State quarterback had a private workout with Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson. Before that, Prescott had met with the Cowboys at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

The Cowboys got to take their first look at Prescott going against him during the Senior Bowl in late January. Prescott impressed as he completed 7-of-10 passes for 61 yards and one touchdown in the game for the South squad. The quarterback also added 13 rushing yards. However, the Cowboys didn't get to meet much with Prescott while in Alabama as the coaching staff was in charge of the North squad.

Still, with all the draft preparations in the last few months, the quarterback has certainly reached a sense of familiarity with the Cowboys.

"I feel like I know a couple of staffs pretty well, staffs I have a good feeling about, and the Cowboys are definitely one of them," Prescott said, via NFL.com.

Prescott was able to detail the aforementioned private workout with the Cowboys which included an introduction to the team's route concepts.

"[Coach Wilson] showed me some specifics about which dropbacks go with the routes, then we went in and watched some film for another 45 minutes or so," Prescott said. "They had some questions about our offense and what my responsibilities are on certain plays, my reads, my checks. Coach Wilson spent some time showing me where the similarities are between their offense and what I did here, just kind of making connections where they could be made."

Per CBS Sports, Prescott is projected to go in the third or fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft. It's to be seen how much a recent off-field incident will hurt his draft stock come late April. Regardless, the Cowboys and Prescott have gotten to know each other quite well.
----------------------

This shit is really going to happen, isn't it?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God, please no.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
April 29th 2016 interview with Jerry Jones: 'We had Dak, uh, on our board...he was a player who we had up there with a first round grade and, uh, relative to the other quarterbacks, uh, in the draft, we had him right up there at the top. Our scouts, uh, and coaching staff, uh collectively, are real impressed with this young man. And we did our due diligence with any, uh, off the field or, uh what you might refer to as character issues, uh, related to anything that may have happened this offseason and we are very comfortable with him, uh, on that level. So we felt, uh, like that number 34 pick represented tremendous value for a player like Dak relative to that spot. But you may have noticed that if you saw all the high fives flying around the war room when he fell to us there and we made the selection. {salesman wink}'

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't hate it in the 4th, mainly because I don't mind spending a 4th on a guy who could be a solid backup, although anything earlier would be horrific. If it was up to me though, assuming we don't get one of the top 3, I'd just wait until the 6th or later and get a guy like Brandon Allen or Hogan.

But still, just take a guy at 4 if he's there or trade up for Lynch.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
April 29th 2016 interview with Jerry Jones: 'We had Dak, uh, on our board...he was a player who we had up there with a first round grade and, uh, relative to the other quarterbacks, uh, in the draft, we had him right up there at the top. Our scouts, uh, and coaching staff, uh collectively, are real impressed with this young man. And we did our due diligence with any, uh, off the field or, uh what you might refer to as character issues, uh, related to anything that may have happened this offseason and we are very comfortable with him, uh, on that level. So we felt, uh, like that number 34 pick represented tremendous value for a player like Dak relative to that spot. But you may have noticed that if you saw all the high fives flying around the war room when he fell to us there and we made the selection. {salesman wink}'
Not enough lipsmaking to be credible...

I hope:picard

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am not afraid to admit I bought into the black Tebow narrative.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I am not afraid to admit I bought into the black Tebow narrative.
I think only one person on the board was excited because he had followed his whole career. Personally, I was disappointed we didn't get one of the top three but thought he was a decent developmental QB. I'm happy to be mistaken.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Looks like Jerry knew what he was talking about.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Oh the irony.

From this to wishing for a Romo injury.:lol
Yeah, that's the one that made me chuckle the most.

But it's all good.

As the facts change, so should your opinion. So I at least give Iamtdg credit for recognizing that Dak was the best option for the Cowboys and not blindly sticking to his initial statements.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, that's the one that made me chuckle the most.

But it's all good.

As the facts change, so should your opinion. So I at least give Iamtdg credit for recognizing that Dak was the best option for the Cowboys and not blindly sticking to his initial statements.
I have no issue with changing an opinion, it's how he went from one extreme to other that makes me laugh.

Top Bottom