Moore: Here's why Greg Hardy is still a free-agent outcast

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Pretty much the entire season when a media member brought up Hardy, Garrett took the side of the media member over Hardy.
That doesn't clear it up for me. The entire mediacommunity was scorching the Dallas organization all season over Hardy. I don't see how anyone could reasonably defend Hardy' s actions especially after the photos were released. The heat would have turned into a scalping.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That doesn't clear it up for me. The entire mediacommunity was scorching the Dallas organization all season over Hardy.
No but on issues like Hardy saying he is coming out "Guns Blazzin" Garrett criticized Hardy publicly.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No but on issues like Hardy saying he is coming out "Guns Blazzin" Garrett criticized Hardy publicly.
Well to me it was a stupid thing to say on Hardy' s part. As I recall that was in response to the photos being released. How can anyone including a Coach support that. Chances are Garrett would have been mum if the media hadn't flocked to him for his reaction. Hardy just kept making it impossible for the Cowboys staff and players to standup for him. All Hardy had to do as to say he was sorry for all the upheaval and they organization would have had a basis to standup with him. The guy just kept pouring gasoline on the fire.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well to me it was a stupid thing to say on Hardy' s part. As I recall that was in response to the photos being released. How can anyone including a Coach support that.
It was long before the pictures came out. It was when Hardy was about to play his first game. And instead of standing up for his player Garrett did the exact opposite. You don't do that publicly with your own players ever.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It was long before the pictures came out. It was when Hardy way about to play his first game. And instead of standing up for his player Garrett did the exact opposite. You don't do that publicly with your own players ever.
I remember the occasion of that statement now. Seems like It was just before his suspension ended. The media jumped all over it because of the was he phrased it with fire arms being entertwined in his statement. Innocently stated or no it wasn't a well thought out statement. Garrett would have done well to not have said anything but Hardy really kept things stirred up. The guy just wouldn't shut up.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
I still wonder about those photos, I feel like if Hardy was trying to do real damage, they would have looked much worse. I'm not saying that nothing happened, but the narrative of him going after that lady like an uncontrolled beast just doesn't seem to make sense. This is a guy who can physically dominate 300 pound men, if he choked the shit out of some spindly white girl, she should have a collapsed trachea or something.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I still wonder about those photos, I feel like if Hardy was trying to do real damage, they would have looked much worse. I'm not saying that nothing happened, but the narrative of him going after that lady like an uncontrolled beast just doesn't seem to make sense. This is a guy who can physically dominate 300 pound men, if he choked the shit out of some spindly white girl, she should have a collapsed trachea or something.
That's probably true but the mood of the League and media was in a complete indignant attitude about player abuse. Anyone with an inkling of common sense would have reacted differently and at least tried to appear contritre but Hardy took the opposite approach and fanned the fire. He just didn't play it very smart.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's probably true but the mood of the League and media was in a complete indignant attitude about player abuse. Anyone with an inkling of common sense would have reacted differently and at least tried to appear contritre but Hardy took the opposite approach and fanned the fire. He just didn't play it very smart.
Just out of curiousity but if he didn't do what she claimed what should he act contrite about?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just out of curiousity but if he didn't do what she claimed what should he act contrite about?
Contrite about the upheaval being caused. It would have been a very smart move on his part and would not have created a line of desenters. Something like , I'm truly sorry for all the confusion and negativity this incident has caused with the League and media. My hope is that the truth will find its way to the surface and we can get this behind us. This would probably have neutralized it to some extent and would have given the Cowboys staff and players something to point toward. I think Hardy took the resentful road rather than the intelligent one.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
I mostly agree. Although Hardy probably would have had better luck in almost any other city. Everyone lambasted Jerry for the signing, but when Chicago signed Ray McDonald who had multiple incidents on his record no one got huffy. Adrian Peterson got a complete pass on what he did, and it was way more shocking than what Hardy did.

So in summation I think Hardy is probably a shitty person, but he was still held to a different standard than anyone else who's committed domestic violence.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think her being very fair skinned made them look worse than they were.

I think she was grabbed and some point but I don't think she was beaten or chocked like she claimed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Well to me it was a stupid thing to say on Hardy' s part. As I recall that was in response to the photos being released. How can anyone including a Coach support that. Chances are Garrett would have been mum if the media hadn't flocked to him for his reaction. Hardy just kept making it impossible for the Cowboys staff and players to standup for him. All Hardy had to do as to say he was sorry for all the upheaval and they organization would have had a basis to standup with him. The guy just kept pouring gasoline on the fire.
Back in November he took to Twitter to express regret for what happened. Who knows what they talked about in private...the media and fans are not entitled to know the content of those private discussions.

I don't remember Michael Irvin apologizing publicly when he stabbed Everett McIver in the neck either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Back in November he took to Twitter to express regret for what happened. Who knows what they talked about in private...the media and fans are not entitled to know the content of those private discussions.

I don't remember Michael Irvin apologizing publicly when he stabbed Everett McIver in the neck either.
And Irvin caused a lot of embarrassment to the team with that and subsequent actions at the White House. He eventually faced up to his irresponsibility and became one of the Cowboys alltimers. I wonder however what his plight would have been if he had not fessed up and apologized.

Carp

DCC 4Life
And Irvin caused a lot of embarrassment to the team with that and subsequent actions at the White House. He eventually faced up to his irresponsibility and became one of the Cowboys alltimers. I wonder however what his plight would have been if he had not fessed up and apologized.
Not while he was an active player though...your point is invalid.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not while he was an active player though...your point is invalid.
The comparison isn't valid either. Irvin wasn't as scrutinized as Hardy due tho the nature of the offense. Irvin didn't get in the good graces of the media until he cleaned up his act. In fact he lost a few jobs over his habits and it took him a while to get himself repositioned for another media job as well as the HOF induction. He obviously wasn't the same person he was as a player when he was inducted.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Re Irvin: The internet was just experiencing its real expansion when that happened and sports media(ESPN) hadn't become tabloid sports media quite yet. Even PFT, the NFL tabloid was a few years away. If that had happened today, after all the recent transgressions that have occurred since then, the media probably would have been all over Irvin like white on rice.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Coach is a robot, wants similar automatons. He is just not equipped to deal with personalities. That's why he will never be a successful NFL head coach.
You'd never know that Garrett learned at the feet of The Jimmah.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You'd never know that Garrett learned at the feet of The Jimmah.
It is pretty clear he learned shit from Johnson as a player and even less since he has visited him for little fishing trips since he became a head coach.

Top Bottom