MLB Chatter Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Another very early season overreaction: That Ken Giles trade looks terrible for the Astros right now. He has been bad. I expect he will turn it around and be an asset in their bullpen but holy mother of god Vince Velasquez looks like a stud. Complete game shutout with 16 K and 0 BB. Wow.
Yeah Vasquez has looked great but Giles is much to young to be grading the off anything this year.

Will be interesting to see how Vasquez does after this performance.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah Vasquez has looked great but Giles is much to young to be grading the off anything this year.

Will be interesting to see how Vasquez does after this performance.
Velasquez did face an unbelievably bad Padres lineup yesterday, but a CG shutout with 16 Ks and 0 BBs is still really, really impressive. He dominated the NYM in his first game (and faces them in his next start) and they aren't a great offense, so it will be interesting to see him when he goes up against the Cubs, Nats, Giants, etc.

I think Giles will be fine. He should be a key part of Houston's pen and will ultimately be closer at some point. If what we are seeing from Velasquez is glimpse into the future though–he won't have many starts this dominant of course, but if he turns into a top of the rotation type of starter–it will end up being a terrible trade for Houston.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
TWINS WIN! TWINS WIN!

Thank God that shit is over. 1-9 never looked so good.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Velasquez did face an unbelievably bad Padres lineup yesterday, but a CG shutout with 16 Ks and 0 BBs is still really, really impressive. He dominated the NYM in his first game (and faces them in his next start) and they aren't a great offense, so it will be interesting to see him when he goes up against the Cubs, Nats, Giants, etc.

I think Giles will be fine. He should be a key part of Houston's pen and will ultimately be closer at some point. If what we are seeing from Velasquez is glimpse into the future though–he won't have many starts this dominant of course, but if he turns into a top of the rotation type of starter–it will end up being a terrible trade for Houston.
Depends on what Giles turns into and what the other young arms in the minors become.

Part of the thinking was they have 2 prospects they think are on Vasquez level and his injury history.

Philly might end up winning the trade but it being terrible is a bit much considering the need for both teams.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would never give up that much for a closer. Seems like every year quite a few pitchers come on the scene and establish themselves as closers. Velazquez was being looked at as a possible closer, but showing he is a legit SP. This also forced the Astros to add someone to the rotation...welcome Doug Fister on a 1 year 7 mil deal. Hopefully at some point he will break 85 on the radar gun.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Time to crank up the Silver Boot series. Here's to hoping the Astros fare about as well as that guy trying to make it through the underpass yesterday.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs took the first one in St. Louis last night. One down, eighteen to go. I hope they badly humiliate that smug bunch of MFers and their entitled fans this season. To the point that don't even make it into the playoffs.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Syndergaard Cy Young
I recently booked a trip to Illinois in July and discovered that the Mets are going to be at Wrigley while I am in town. Just bought a ticket to a day game on July 20th. Part of me would like to see Syndergaard pitch that day but I also want to see the Cubs win so...not Syndergaard I hope?

That guy looks like an absolute monster right now. I'm hoping he is just off to a hot start but it doesn't look like that nastiness is going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:

junk

Not So New Member
Rangers fans....Mazara the real deal? Think he stays up or will he go back down at some point this year?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Fuck you, Kevin Jepsen. 0-3 with 2 blown saves already this year.

His devil ray stink is surfacing hard so far this year.

Rev

Staff member
Rangers fans....Mazara the real deal? Think he stays up or will he go back down at some point this year?
I think he is the real deal. Not over 400 real deal but he is going to be a good one. I don't think he is going down and Desmond better start hitting.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They need to give Trevor May a shot at closing.
Yeah, I'd consider it. At least until Perkins comes off the DL. I think they're still looking at eventually using him as a starter. But I'd like his power arm and sharp slider on the back end.

Jensen looked good last year, but so far this year he's been terrible. No movement on his pitches, and wild. Seems he walks the first guy he faces, then gets tight and starts to groove his pitches. Today the Twins were working on a great comeback. Down 5-2 in the 8th, Byung Ho Park hits a solo shot, then Eddie Rosario hits a 2 run HR to tie it. So what happens? Top of the 9th, Jensen falls behind 3-0 to the lead off guy, then grooves the next two. Guy hits a triple on the second one, then next guy up hits his gift pitch for a single and the lead. Ugh.

Rev

Staff member
1 down. 18 to go.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I think he's legit. I don't see him being sent back down. It's fun to watch him at the plate, because he looks like a vet and is only 21 years old. He is solid. It's going to be interesting how the lineup shakes out when Choo comes back. But, I don't see any circumstance where Mazara gets sent back down.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
and Desmond better start hitting.
Desmond is pissing me off at the plate. I don't know if he is just trying too hard or is simply in a funk, but he needs to break out of it.

D

Deuce

Fuck you, Kevin Jepsen. 0-3 with 2 blown saves already this year.

His devil ray stink is surfacing hard so far this year.
With how Tampa looks this year, there's plenty of stink to go around. Glad some of it has made it's way north.

Top Bottom