Sturm: Why Dallas can't afford to use No. 4 pick based on need

GShock

DCC 4Life
Each expansion goes by its own rules and so is a different animal. The Cowboys, Vikings, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Seahawks, Browns and Texans all sucked for quite a while before looking like they were playing football.
The league went overboard in setting the Panthers and Jags up for success. The Browns paid the price.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's one of the stupidest things I've read on this board. That's EXACTLY what you want/hope for from a top five draft pick.
If you draft a guy expecting him to be a pro-bowler 10 seasons from now you're being unrealistic. This is way less than 1% of players.

Only a QB or possibly an OL has a solid chance of being on the same team a decade after being drafted outside of a very few special players (Michael Strahan, Larry Fitzgerald, Brian Urlacher-- IOW Hall of Famers). Odds are you aren't getting a Hall of Famer.

Sorry.

Tyron Smith was 20 years old when he was drafted, so he's unusual.

2006 NFL Draft (i.e. 10 years ago): Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Ernie Sims, Matt Leinert.

Only Ferguson is still with the same team and while he's a solid player he's 5 years removed from being a pro-bowler.

People need to get real.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only Ferguson is still with the same team and while he's a solid player he's 5 years removed from being a pro-bowler.
None of those other guys were franchise players. That's why. Which of the names besides D'Brick are you using a top 5 draft pick on today? Maybe Mario who changed teams because he was a 4-3 end being forced into a 3-4 role.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
None of those other guys were franchise players. That's why. Which of the names besides D'Brick are you using a top 5 draft pick on today? Maybe Mario who changed teams because he was a 4-3 end being forced into a 3-4 role.
Well duh, that's kind of the point. You can only choose the guys who are available.

Mario was a stud, but I already posted he lasted only 6 years with his team. He only lasted a couple of years with his next team.

The NFL changes all the time.

Factoring anything past 8 years into your planning is just dumb.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Gil Brandt said Wentz pro day today was best he's ever seen. For whatever that's worth. Reminds of Flacco. I'd take that all day long at #4. A potential franchise QB that will be slinging it in 2028. Aren't those what top 5 picks are for? Why not?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can already hear Spags "If both QBs were so good, why were they still available at 4?" as Dallas takes Ramsey.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think there's a good reason we go QB, a factor that has figured into a lot of our decisions lately. Money. We can get out of Romo's contract without wrecking the cap as early as next year, and we should do so in 2018. We have an offensive line that we spent major resources to build and that we're going to want to keep together. That will be a lot easier with a QB on a rookie contract.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think there's a good reason we go QB, a factor that has figured into a lot of our decisions lately. Money. We can get out of Romo's contract without wrecking the cap as early as next year, and we should do so in 2018. We have an offensive line that we spent major resources to build and that we're going to want to keep together. That will be a lot easier with a QB on a rookie contract.
Oh, I think we go QB, regardless. It's just a matter of in what round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part of what helps you be able to eat the Romo dead money is having a young starting QB on a rookie contract. Even if there is 15 mil in dead space because of Romo, when your starting QB is earning 4 mil, that's doable. So really having a young stud QB from the draft does help us in many different ways.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Part of what helps you be able to eat the Romo dead money is having a young starting QB on a rookie contract. Even if there is 15 mil in dead space because of Romo, when your starting QB is earning 4 mil, that's doable. So really having a young stud QB from the draft does help us in many different ways.
Saving a 14 million dollar salary in 2017 and a 20 million dollar salary in 2018 can go a long way towards keeping Martin and Collins.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gil Brandt said Wentz pro day today was best he's ever seen. For whatever that's worth. Reminds of Flacco. I'd take that all day long at #4. A potential franchise QB that will be slinging it in 2028. Aren't those what top 5 picks are for? Why not?
I like Wentz's snappy, high release, and he has a prototypical build. I have a feeling the Browns will draft him.

Goff is behind Wentz mainly because of the difference in build, though Goff played against better competition in college.

I think if Goff is a franchise QB Dallas needs to draft him.

If they have doubts though, then they should pass and draft a QB in the 1st round next year.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I like Wentz's snappy, high release, and he has a prototypical build. I have a feeling the Browns will draft him.

Goff is behind Wentz mainly because of the difference in build, though Goff played against better competition in college.

I think if Goff is a franchise QB Dallas needs to draft him.

If they have doubts though, then they should pass and draft a QB in the 1st round next year.
I think the Browns just talked themselves out of taking a QB at #2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be really dumb of the Browns. It's hard to say though. The contract they gave Griffin doesn't really prevent them from drafting someone at all. It just gives them a short term veteran starter. But who knows. That team is a mess all over and it's being run by people who don't know football and are instead trying to implement a metrics type system (It worked for baseball but football is a far different animal with way more interrelated parts).

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would be more confident if the deal was for more money or more years. As it is they could still pick one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be more confident if the deal was for more money or more years. As it is they could still pick one.
Yeah a two year deal is basically the perfect deal to develop a young guy under. If Griffin had signed a 4 or 5 year deal I would feel way different. In fairness to Griffin I'm sure he is hoping to have a big season and then renegotiate his contract for a lot more money so he probably didn't want a 5 year deal at 7 per year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That would be really dumb of the Browns. It's hard to say though. The contract they gave Griffin doesn't really prevent them from drafting someone at all. It just gives them a short term veteran starter. But who knows. That team is a mess all over and it's being run by people who don't know football and are instead trying to implement a metrics type system (It worked for baseball but football is a far different animal with way more interrelated parts).
The only real thing is that if they pick a player that at least in perception won't play right away, it is going to be a tough sell for a very pissed off Cleveland fan base.

They did nothing in free agency and that whole fan base is very disillusioned and confused.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only real thing is that if they pick a player that at least in perception won't play right away, it is going to be a tough sell for a very pissed off Cleveland fan base.

They did nothing in free agency and that whole fan base is very disillusioned and confused.
Not only did they do nothing in free agency they actually got even worse. The Browns fan base is going to be pissed off no matter what they do. It's not like Joey Bosa is going to make their fans feel good about next year.

Top Bottom