• Rd 1 - Budda Baker, S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

data

Forbes #1
Cowboys selected Taco Charlton. Did the Cowboys make the right call? Who do we think would've been the best pick at #28? No-trade-downs, must select player who was available at the time.

In 5 years, we can revisit this thread and see if Jerruh's better at this draft game than we are.

In years passed, we may have had a consensus of Manziel over Martin, Malcolm Brown/Landon Collins over Byron Jones, Rashede Hageman/Stephon Tuitt over Demarcus Lawrence, etc...no more speculation.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's pretty easy for me either Charlton or Watt. Even if Foster succeeds to me it just wasn't worth the risk given the drug issues. You can't predict if drugs will become a problem for a guy like that, you're just closing your eyes and rolling the dice. Maybe the 49ers will win that bet or maybe they will lose it but it won't change my opinion on if we should have drafted Foster.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I like McDowell, but because Lawrence has become so undependable we had to get some kind of pass rusher. Frankly, I didn't think Charlton would fall to 28, so I'm happy to have him.

Even still, McDowell would have meant more to the defense over the long haul, especially if we somehow manage to salvage Demarcus Lawrence.

No amount of scheming can make up for what his size and power will naturally give you over the course of a game and season.

data

Forbes #1
Even still, McDowell would have meant more to the defense over the long haul, especially if we somehow manage to salvage Demarcus Lawrence.

No amount of scheming can make up for what his size and power will naturally give you over the course of a game and season.
So you prefer Mcdowell over Taco then.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Fuck McDowell. Anybody that jokes about being hard to coach and laughs at the mention of the game plan having to be changed because of his freelancing ways, can kiss my ass. Add that to his midling production, and that coach killer wouldn't have even been on my board until the 3rd at the very earliest.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys overthought the situation. If improving the pass rush was the goal, they should have taken Watt. Charlton may end up being solid, but I don't see him making the same kind of pass rush impact.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cowboys overthought the situation. If improving the pass rush was the goal, they should have taken Watt. Charlton may end up being solid, but I don't see him making the same kind of pass rush impact.
Not a good fit having two 250 pound 4-3 DE's drafted so high. Can't hide one of them no matter how well you scheme, so it's hard to get them both on the field at the same time.

In Pittsburgh though, Watt is covered by a 3-4 DE. Much better fit.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Not a good fit having two 250 pound 4-3 DE's drafted so high. Can't hide one of them no matter how well you scheme, so it's hard to get them both on the field at the same time.

In Pittsburgh though, Watt is covered by a 3-4 DE. Much better fit.
This.

Having thought about it I think the 270 lb guy will be the better player for us. Even Ware had to leave near the end because a 250 lb guy isn't a 4-3 DE. I know there was money to consider as well, but still.

townsend

Banned
This.

Having thought about it I think the 270 lb guy will be the better player for us. Even Ware had to leave near the end because a 250 lb guy isn't a 4-3 DE. I know there was money to consider as well, but still.
Ware was closer to 260-265 when he was playing for us. I think the issue was more his durability/age than fit in a scheme.

You can have an undersized DE in a productive 4-3 defense, Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney come to mind.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You can have an undersized DE in a productive 4-3 defense, Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney come to mind.
HGH is an amazing thing.

Also nice to have Peyton and Marvin Harrison scoring crap tons of points against the Jags, Titans, and Texans of the league twice a year. Took whatever semblance of a running game those teams had off the board fairly quickly. Over time, that meant those DEs faced much less punishment.

Try that shat in the NFC East. Mathis would have looked like a beaten, shriveled raisin in two years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try that shat in the NFC East. Mathis would have looked like a beaten, shriveled raisin in two years.
Because there arr some big time running teams in our division...

The likes of Paul Perkins and Matt Jones strike fear in everyone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because there arr some big time running teams in our division...

The likes of Paul Perkins and Matt Jones strike fear in everyone.
That is why I didn't get the reasoning for Charlton. A bigger DE who can hold the edge would have made sense if the division was more physical.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In a few years, Charlton will be remembered more for his funny name than his play. Like Peppi Zellner.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
In a few years, Charlton will be remembered more for his funny name than his play. Like Peppi Zellner.
:lol

Nobody has any idea how it's going to work out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is why I didn't get the reasoning for Charlton. A bigger DE who can hold the edge would have made sense if the division was more physical.
I think you misjudge Charlton but I would have preferred Harris if he made it to us.

Charlton is what we need against the Packers though. They just killed us with the no huddle bullshit preventing us from substituting. We need a DE that can play on first down and then turn around and pressure him on the next play. When you're running Jack Crawford on first down and can't get him off the field for third and six you're screwed against Rodgers.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well, you've already compared him to Ebenezer Ekuban, so I guess this was inevitable.

You're diverse. I'll give you that.

townsend

Banned
Jason Hatcher seems like he'd be a better comparison for what Marinelli's gonna want to do with Taco. I think he was about 280 when he had his one really strong season in 2013.

Top Bottom