JJT: Fear of Tony Romo injury shouldn't make Cowboys reach for quarterback

data

Forbes #1
If Cleveland takes the best QB off the board with pick 2, I'm worried the second guy won't even be close to the first. That happens quite a lot. It also happens the other way around.
is this a quote from the Princess Bride?

so, do we want Cleveland to take the best QB or not? Did you poison my drink, or your own?

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

so, do we want Cleveland to take the best QB or not? Did you poison my drink, or your own?
:lol

I watched that for the first time forever on Netflix with my daughter. Complete classic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Troy Smith.

Didn't help he was also lazy...
Or Johnny Manziel or a million other short QBs that were drafted late or went undrafted because of their height. Hell look at this draft. Guys like Boykin, Brandon Allen and Vernon Adams are fighting just to be a late round/undrafted free agent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ravi might be losing it. It's like someone told him a little about statistics and now he applies them in all the horrifically wrong way.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I watched that for the first time forever on Netflix with my daughter. Complete classic.
Are you telling me that you recently watched that for the first time? Inconceivable!!

Stars

DCC 4Life
Are you telling me that you recently watched that for the first time? Inconceivable!!
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
"We drafted Prescott with the 4th pick in the draft."

"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."

Jiggyfly

Banned
Or Johnny Manziel or a million other short QBs that were drafted late or went undrafted because of their height. Hell look at this draft. Guys like Boykin, Brandon Allen and Vernon Adams are fighting just to be a late round/undrafted free agent.
All of those QB's have other major issues besides height.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
"We drafted Prescott with the 4th pick in the draft."

"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

The odds are that only one QB is going to be a quality NFL starter.

In 1993, 1998, and 2012 there were two "surefire" QBs available and in each case the first overall pick became a superstar while the second overall pick became a bust.

In 1999 it was reversed. In 2005 it was also reversed, though the second guy fell over 20 picks

Even in 1983 with Elway, Kelly, and Marino as HOFers you still had Blackledge, Eason, and Obrien mixed in as busts.

Only in 2004 did three of the first three all become star QBs.

If you think this draft is 2004, you are dreaming and fooling yourself. That was once in several generations... maybe once ever.

data

Forbes #1
The odds are that only one QB is going to be a quality NFL starter.

In 1993, 1998, and 2012 there were two "surefire" QBs available and in each case the first overall pick became a superstar while the second overall pick became a bust.

In 1999 it was reversed. In 2005 it was also reversed, though the second guy fell over 20 picks

Even in 1983 with Elway, Kelly, and Marino as HOFers you still had Blackledge, Eason, and Obrien mixed in as busts.

Only in 2004 did three of the first three all become star QBs.

If you think this draft is 2004, you are dreaming and fooling yourself. That was once in several generations... maybe once ever.
I counter your stats with the statistical failures of Cleveland drafting a QB - tim couch, Brady Quinn, Weeden, manziel. You think the Browns will select the correct QB? That hasn't happened in any generation!!!

~triumphant masked hero trumpets~

What say you, Vizzini?

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I counter your stats with the statistical failures of Cleveland drafting a QB - tim couch, Brady Quinn, Weeden, manziel. You think the Browns will select the correct QB? That hasn't happened in any generation!!!

~triumphant masked hero trumpets~

What say you, Vizzini?
We're not immune to iocane powder.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the problem with someone who doesn't understand statistics but tries to use them. If we were to flip a coin 3 times you'd say, well the odds of it coming up heads 3 times in a row is very minimal. But each flip is totally independent of the other. Lets say the first two flips come up heads. So when you flip the coin the third time Ravi would probably say there is almost no chance that it comes up heads again, in reality there really is 50% chance you will get heads.

Same things with these QBs. Goff's success or failure has absolutely no impact on the success or failure of Wentz who has absolutely no impact on the success or failure of Lynch. Each QB is completely independent of the other. So when you pick one it doesn't somehow change your odds simply because another QB is going in the first round. It's a classic statistical fallacy that anyone who has taken a statistics course knows about.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is the problem with someone who doesn't understand statistics but tries to use them. If we were to flip a coin 3 times you'd say, well the odds of it coming up heads 3 times in a row is very minimal. But each flip is totally independent of the other. Lets say the first two flips come up heads. So when you flip the coin the third time Ravi would probably say there is almost no chance that it comes up heads again, in reality there really is 50% chance you will get heads.

Same things with these QBs. Goff's success or failure has absolutely no impact on the success or failure of Wentz who has absolutely no impact on the success or failure of Lynch. Each QB is completely independent of the other. So when you pick one it doesn't somehow change your odds simply because another QB is going in the first round. It's a classic statistical fallacy that anyone who has taken a statistics course knows about.
Solid logic. Well played.

data

Forbes #1
So back in 2004, Ravi wouldve called the steelers idiots for drafting roethlisberger because, previous to 2004, because never had all 3 1st round QBs been successful.

To this day, Jimmy Johnson was a bad hire because nobody had ever won both a college national championship and super bowl as head coach.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So if Goff really is a franchise player then draft him.

Draft him. I've said that. Said it many times.

But don't draft him just because you happened to be picking 4th for the first time in ages and you need that guy to last 12 years and you're scared shitless that Romo's collarbone will break again.

Because the draft process always elevates QBs WAY higher than they should be and groups them all into the same bucket at the top of the draft.

It's how Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf or RG3 or Akili Smith or Johnny fricking Manziel magically rise well beyond their real worth and true talent.

Find a fit for your system with a truly talented guy and choose him. Don't choose him just because fans want to force the next great Cowboys QB.

Jiggyfly

Banned

But don't draft him just because you happened to be picking 4th for the first time in ages and you need that guy to last 12 years and you're scared shitless that Romo's collarbone will break again.

Because the draft process always elevates QBs WAY higher than they should be and groups them all into the same bucket at the top of the draft.

It's how Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf or RG3 or Akili Smith or Johnny fricking Manziel magically rise well beyond their real worth and true talent.

Find a fit for your system with a truly talented guy and choose him. Don't choose him just because fans want to force the next great Cowboys QB.
Manziel actually fell and Couch, Leaf and Griffen did not magically rise.

Besides that you are right on point.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Drafting a QB because Romo might fold any time is absolutely a good reason to use your highest pick to pickup one. The crop this year seems to rank well with other years drafts according to the experts and its very legitimate to get the best available while you are in this position. It goes without saying that if the prospects were crap you wouldn't waste your pick but all indications are they are odds on to be good.

Top Bottom