Sturm: Why Dallas can't afford to use No. 4 pick based on need

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The only real thing is that if they pick a player that at least in perception won't play right away, it is going to be a tough sell for a very pissed off Cleveland fan base.

They did nothing in free agency and that whole fan base is very disillusioned and confused.
They get Gordon back for a few games until he gets caught again!!

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah a two year deal is basically the perfect deal to develop a young guy under. If Griffin had signed a 4 or 5 year deal I would feel way different. In fairness to Griffin I'm sure he is hoping to have a big season and then renegotiate his contract for a lot more money so he probably didn't want a 5 year deal at 7 per year.
I would be more confident if the deal was for more money or more years. As it is they could still pick one.
You're saying they signed a massive diva who still hasn't learned to play pro football... to mentor a rookie? Griffin would immediately feel betrayed and sulk and want out. There's no way he signed without at least the implied assumption that he could play his way into a long term deal. If they wanted a guy to start a few games while the rookie warmed up they have McCown for that, or if they wanted an upgrade over him they could sign Fitzpatrick.

I think the Browns either know what they want and it's not one of the QBs, or their baseball guy wants to trade down and get more picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're saying they signed a massive diva who still hasn't learned to play pro football... to mentor a rookie? Griffin would immediately feel betrayed and sulk and want out. There's no way he signed without at least the implied assumption that he could play his way into a long term deal.
It's not like Griffin had a lot of offers. The Browns are offering him the chance to start from day one which is something no other NFL team was willing to offer him. So yeah I think Griffin signed there without any promise that they wouldn't draft a young QB. Word now is that McCown is on the trading block which probably means they are still intending to draft a QB. The Browns don't need Griffin to mentor anybody. They just need someone who is ready to start now.

Griffin is a diva but no one said the Browns were smart.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, this whole Griffin thing is odd. It doesn't seem like a good idea to sign a guy like him if you're planning on drafting a guy to be your franchise QB, if anything you'd rather have McCown as your stopgap/veteran mentor of sorts. The only sense this makes to me is that either the Browns are going elsewhere at 2, trading down or they are just throwing as many darts as they can at the QB spot and hoping to hit on something, even if that means tension between Griffin and a rookie.

No clue what they plan on doing honestly.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I posted this in the other qb related thread, but here it is again.

The Fan here was reporting that the Cowboys front office folk attended Lynch's pro day and were really impressed. I would prefer one of the other 2 QBs but would still be happy with Lynch after a trade down or move back up from the 2nd round.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be just as pleased with Lynch after trading down from 4 or up from 34 as I would be with Goff or Wentz at 4. He definitely has the most question marks but his physical tools are more or less on par with Wentz's. The main difference is that Wentz comes from a pro-style system, gained a bunch of momentum at the Senior Bowl and is pristine off the field, I have no idea what Lynch is like off the field but if he's clean and shows that he wants to work to be a great QB then I'm perfectly fine with him as our future.

He definitely needs to sit and learn but that's obviously a luxury we have. I do think that he is better than Goff/Wentz at one key thing that I think is vital to playing QB in the NFL and that is being athletic enough to get outside of the pocket while keeping your eyes downfield to make plays.

Goff is better at moving inside the pocket but to me Lynch is the most comparable to Roetlisberger as far as being a big bodied guy who can move a bit, get outside the pocket, keep his eyes downfield and make a play.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see many mocks with Lynch getting past the Rams at 15.
Yea, I don't know what the end game with Lynch is. To me, if we really love him, we need to be prepared to take him after moving down into the 8-12 range, before the Rams pick. If we want to trade back up to get him we need to be aware that the Rams could easily take him, and if they don't, we need to be prepared to move up to about the 20ish range.

Any ideas that he will be around at 34 are foolish.

At the end of the day, if they take a defensive player at 4 and then try to trade back up for Lynch they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. The front office needs to just stop the horse shitting, bite the bullet, forget the stigma that comes with "taking a QB in the top 5", take Wentz or Goff at 4 and just move on.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The Rams might be one of the teams willing to trade up for Wentz.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Maybe Cleveland wants a chance to win some games now with Griffin while developing Wentz or Goff.

Or maybe these QB's aren't top five material.

Or maybe they want Wentz/Goff, but not at 2, and Griffin is their insurance against being unable to pull off a trade down.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Been reading that the Jets pick at 20 may be in play. Not for a move up, but they want to move back. The Jets have made it known they would like to get more picks. And? If the Rams are really serious about wanting to move up to #4 and drafting Wentz or Goff?

How about this scenario:

#4 to the Rams for 15, 43, 45

#34 and #45 to the Jets for #20

That leaves Dallas sitting with 15, 20 and 43.

That could put players like Lynch, Lawson, Treadwell, Dodd, Blair, Henry and Billings into play.

Landing 3 of those guys would be sweet... Especially if Paxton Lynch is the top QB on their board?

Thoughts?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Having a huge draft would put a little pep in my
Step

Top Bottom