Wade Phillips: Jerry Jones Is A Great Guy Until He Fires You

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All NFL head coaches are self-serving, Wade included. Wade and Garrett both owe a lot of the team's 2007 success to Sparano, IMO, but they never have so much as mentioned the guy.

The moment he left, a very dominant offense went to shit.

midswat

... soon
All NFL head coaches are self-serving, Wade included. Wade and Garrett both owe a lot of the team's 2007 success to Sparano, IMO, but they never have so much as mentioned the guy.

The moment he left, a very dominant offense went to shit.
I remember watching a show that profiled that 2007 Giants SB winning team. I don't think it was the Americas Game specials they used to run, although it might've been. But they had three players from the Giants defense on there and they were talking about the 2007 Cowboys.

Basically what they said was that that 2007 offense was the best one they faced all year. Even better than the Patriots. Reason being, per their words, was we had zero tendencies. They played us twice going into that playoff game, and spent the season pouring over our film, and they could not point to a single tendency.

Also said that once they beat us, it was such a boost to their morale or whatever that they were on top of the world and were not afraid of anyone else. They knew they could win it all.

This always stuck with me, because I felt like we wasted an amazing opportunity that year. And it always stuck with me once it became obvious how predictable and stale Garretts offense became in the following years.

data

Forbes #1
I remember watching a show that profiled that 2007 Giants SB winning team. I don't think it was the Americas Game specials they used to run, although it might've been. But they had three players from the Giants defense on there and they were talking about the 2007 Cowboys.

Basically what they said was that that 2007 offense was the best one they faced all year. Even better than the Patriots. Reason being, per their words, was we had zero tendencies. They played us twice going into that playoff game, and spent the season pouring over our film, and they could not point to a single tendency.

Also said that once they beat us, it was such a boost to their morale or whatever that they were on top of the world and were not afraid of anyone else. They knew they could win it all.

This always stuck with me, because I felt like we wasted an amazing opportunity that year. And it always stuck with me once it became obvious how predictable and stale Garretts offense became in the following years.
SOB can only blame himself for that bullshit 46 second defense that gave up the TD at the end of the half following our beautiful TD drive.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Now after that season when Garrett got the Baltimore offer and then a raise to more than the head coach? And especially when all the assistants went to Miami and Jerry hired the coaches Garrett wanted over the ones Wade wanted? Yeah, pretty obvious then. But by that time it was too late.
I was going to mention the situation where Garrett was being wooed by the Ravens. It was pretty clear that JJ was worried about losing the RHG to them then overpaid him to stay on as the OC/HC in waiting.

As far as Wade goes, he was a good DC but not a good head coach.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Irks me the way he sticks to regular season W/L record though.
Like this?

I also felt good about my 34–22 record with the Cowboys. It’s not tremendous, but it’s still pretty good. That’s still the tiniest of a fraction of a percent ahead of Tom Landry, the all-time winningest coach in the history of the franchise. People don’t want to hear that, but it’s a fact.
I HATED this about him and it's why the guy was such a loser.

He is such a stout apples-to-oranges type of person. All he ever sees is that one similarity and from there he interprets it in a way that makes those things out to be the exact same thing when they are not.

Like here he points out how his winning percentage is right there with Landry's -- basically suggesting that he wins at the same rate as the man who is viewed as a legend. Therefore, he should have been awarded more time since he was achieving the same amount of success as Landry. But what the dummy always fails to see are the very important details that make up those situations, and that's what makes them so vastly different.

Landry was a visionary. He changed the game. He came in at a time when the modern game was just starting to come together. He took his teams on the cusp of winning NFL championships, then took them to the cusp of winning a SB.....and then he finally did win it twice.

His teams became what everyone in the league strove to be, and through his work and vision, the Cowboys became the model franchise of the league.

Wade Phillips was NONE of those things and he did not accomplish any of those milestones. So that is why no one pays his record with the Cowboys any mind regardless of how similar it may be to Landry's from solely a percentage standpoint.

Sadly, Wade is the only person who doesn't understand this.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
SOB can only blame himself for that bullshit 46 second defense that gave up the TD at the end of the half following our beautiful TD drive.
Pat Crayton playing like a cunt didn't help either.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Pat Crayton playing like a cunt didn't help either.
I'll never forgive that fucker for running half speed on that one play that very well could have been a TD.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'll never forgive that fucker for running half speed on that one play that very well could have been a TD.
It was a TD if he was actually playing full speed. Pass was perfect. When he saw it coming, he tried to hit what little jets he had and came up small.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It was a TD if he was actually playing full speed. Pass was perfect. When he saw it coming, he tried to hit what little jets he had and came up small.
Yep. Romo threw that perfectly and his only mistake was in trusting Crayton.

Top Bottom