Wade Phillips: Jerry Jones Is A Great Guy Until He Fires You

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do, but every time I try to do it, my whole post gets deleted. This is on mobile so I figured it's some mobile wonkiness.
That use to happen on my mobile as well. It stopped at some point though. Can't really remember how or why.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I do, but every time I try to do it, my whole post gets deleted. This is on mobile so I figured it's some mobile wonkiness.
That's weird. I have edited posts on my phone before.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because he is softer than the Pillsbury dough boy in every facet of his life. Some people continually get run over by other people and it's because they let that happen. Wade is a good X and O's defensive coordinator but otherwise he basically sucks. He is a good person but I can't help but feel like his attitude puts him in these situations to continually get shit on.
It is like one of those unfortunate situations where you see a klutz being put on roller skates.

You would hope the klutz knew that was a bad idea, but someone talked them into it and for whatever reason they felt obligated.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It's also funny that Wade was trying to hit them up for an extension.

He was the only dummy in the world who didn't realize that he was keeping Garrett's seat warm.
I guess he didn't notice Garrett was hired as OC a few weeks before he was hired as HC. And truth be told, neither should've been hired but Jerry values his comfort level over winning.

townsend

Banned
I guess he didn't notice Garrett was hired as OC a few weeks before he was hired as HC. And truth be told, neither should've been hired but Jerry values his comfort level over winning.
Sadly having Garrett come in and spend most of Romo's career learning to do his f***ing job is probably the only way we would ever get another shot at being good. Anyone who didnt make Jerry 1000% comfortable would have been run out of town before we developed a cohesive team.

shane

DCC 4Life
Because he is softer than the Pillsbury dough boy in every facet of his life. Some people continually get run over by other people and it's because they let that happen. Wade is a good X and O's defensive coordinator but otherwise he basically sucks. He is a good person but I can't help but feel like his attitude puts him in these situations to continually get shit on.
Absolutely, he seems like a nice good ol' boy bumpkin type. I'm glad he vindicated himself with the Denver where he pretty much outcoached Bellichick with his defensive strategy to get Denver to the Super Bowl. He will go down as one of the best defensive coordinators in history, but had no business being a head coach.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When Garrett was hired first I think that was a pretty clear indicator that any coach brought in that time was a placehder. I had never heard Garrett made made more...so that comes off kind of bitter ex kind of thing. Why wait until now to bring that up? He should have brought it up back then.

dallen

Senior Tech
I can't hold taking the job against Wade. It isn't like he had a bunch of other head coaching options. Plus, whatever Jerry has done to neuter the position, the Cowboys are still the Cowboys. Jerry is the one that created the situation and he is the one that hired someone he clearly didn't fully trust to be head coach. Wade has always been whiny and naive, but whatever the conditions I doubt anyone of us would turn down the opportunity he had. I wouldn't say I feel sorry for him. He should've known what he was getting into. But I think I do understand why he did it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Phillips must be naive. He couldn't get a contract extension and the Assistant got paid more. That's pretty obvious Jones had not interest in keeping him around once his contract ran out.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I can't hold taking the job against Wade. It isn't like he had a bunch of other head coaching options. Plus, whatever Jerry has done to neuter the position, the Cowboys are still the Cowboys. Jerry is the one that created the situation and he is the one that hired someone he clearly didn't fully trust to be head coach. Wade has always been whiny and naive, but whatever the conditions I doubt anyone of us would turn down the opportunity he had. I wouldn't say I feel sorry for him. He should've known what he was getting into. But I think I do understand why he did it.
I've said this about all these coaches like Gailey, Campo, Wade and even Garrett. It's not like they hired themselves. It's always come down to Jerry wanting to be comfortable and not have a repeat of a Jimmy situation where we have a strong powerful HC who becomes the face of the franchise and overshadows Jerry. Always sacrificing winning for being comfortable and in control.

But at least things are starting to look up. I don't think Stephen has the same ego as Jerry and when the time comes he won't shy away from a quality HC for fear of being overshadowed.

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It may seem obvious in hindsight, but at the time I don't think it was so obvious Wade was just a temporary hire. Parcells did leave late in the process and there weren't a ton of coaches available at the time, and at the time Garrett was considered a promising young coach. And let's face it, these days it's not uncommon for the owner to keep some coaches in place -- it's not like the old days where the head coach always hired an entire new staff himself.

Now after that season when Garrett got the Baltimore offer and then a raise to more than the head coach? And especially when all the assistants went to Miami and Jerry hired the coaches Garrett wanted over the ones Wade wanted? Yeah, pretty obvious then. But by that time it was too late.

Cotton

Staff member

midswat

... soon
Garrett was, and still is, the problem.

Wade was a bum head coach, but he's better than Garrett.

midswat

... soon
Also this article reminded me how much I hate Jerry.

data

Forbes #1
I think Jerruh only hired Wade cuz he saw this...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just a bad situation. No head coach, even a stupid one like Fat Wade, should have had to deal with a stacked deck against him.

Irks me the way he sticks to regular season W/L record though.
Everyone knows Jerry wanted Garrett. Should have just given him the job to start.

Hiring Wade wasn't the right move for the team and it was never fair to Wade. Dumb as he is.

Top Bottom