Report: Randy Gregory failed drug test, faces lengthy ban

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What I don't understand is why they test for banned substances that have no performance-enhancing effects.

Cocaine, speed... I get it. Pot? Really?

It costs them a ridiculous amount of money in administration costs, lost player development, and a public black eye on top of things.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Ian Rappaport brought up a great point that I hadn't thought about.

They were talking about how the legalization of marijuana in certain states has some NFL owners concerned about the differing state laws creating a potential competitive imbalance.

For instance, if a player were pulled over in Seattle and found to be in possession of marijuana nothing would happen to the guy. However if a player in Indianapolis were pulled over and found to be in possession of marijuana that player would be arrested and could face possible suspension from the NFL.

It's a valid concern.

data

Forbes #1
For all future NFL Drafts, when we're on the clock in the second draft, I'm going to poll who you'd draft. I'm guessing our track record will be better than actual results.

DCC consensus would not have even considered Bennett, Escobar, DeMarcus Lawrence, Bruce Carter, Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith. Although we might've selected Randy Gregory.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What I don't understand is why they test for banned substances that have no performance-enhancing effects.

It costs them a ridiculous amount of money in administration costs, lost player development, and a public black eye on top of things.
Yep.

Genghis Khan

Ian Rappaport brought up a great point that I hadn't thought about.

They were talking about how the legalization of marijuana in certain states has some NFL owners concerned about the differing state laws creating a potential competitive imbalance.

For instance, if a player were pulled over in Seattle and found to be in possession of marijuana nothing would happen to the guy. However if a player in Indianapolis were pulled over and found to be in possession of marijuana that player would be arrested and could face possible suspension from the NFL.

It's a valid concern.
It is a valid concern.

And one that's easily solved, but the NFL needs an anal cranialrectomy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

It's the legality of pot that makes them take this position. For now they do not want to be percieved as supporting marajunia because there is still a significant amount of the fan base who are opposed to it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's the legality of pot that makes them take this position. For now they do not want to be percieved as supporting marajunia because there is still a significant amount of the fan base who are opposed to it.
Detection of illegal substances is a concern for law enforcement, not an employer.

Banned or illegal performance-enhancing substances OTOH is definitely something the NFL should be screening for. Their use affects the fairness of the game.

But pot can't make Gregory a better tackler or pass rusher or impervious to pain caused by workouts.

Detecting it can't make playing the game more or less fair-- all it can do is bring bad publicity to the NFL.

So why police it? It's not their job.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Detection of illegal substances is a concern for law enforcement, not an employer.

Banned or illegal performance-enhancing substances OTOH is definitely something the NFL should be screening for. Their use affects the fairness of the game.

But pot can't make Gregory a better tackler or pass rusher or impervious to pain caused by workouts.

Detecting it can't make playing the game more or less fair-- all it can do is bring bad publicity to the NFL.

So why police it? It's not their job.
I hope you can understand that it is a PR Matter with the league. It's the concern that it might affect revenues. It may not be the approach a lot of people agree with but the owners and the league are acutely attuned to matters that could affect revenues. It is first a business then a sport. And yes it is an employer matter because of the contracts involved.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I hope you can understand that it is a PR Matter with the league. It's the concern that it might affect revenues.
I hope the league can understand that none of their customers give a shit.

Genghis Khan

I hope you can understand that it is a PR Matter with the league.

But that's exactly why it's so dumb for the league to test for it.

Would you know that Randy Gregory was smoking marijuana if the didn't test for it? No, you wouldn't.

The league is CREATING negative PR for itself.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But that's exactly why it's so dumb for the league to test for it.

Would you know that Randy Gregory was smoking marijuana if the didn't test for it? No, you wouldn't.

The league is CREATING negative PR for itself.
I'm not making a determination about whether it is right or wrong. Or whether they should change. I am relating why I think the league is taking the position they are. Why do you think the league is taking this position? All you are saying is that you don't agree with it.

Genghis Khan

I'm not making a determination about whether it is right or wrong. Or whether they should change. I am relating why I think the league is taking the position they are. Why do you think the league is taking this position? All you are saying is that you don't agree with it.
Because they are way, way, way out of touch.

Top Bottom