The Great Police Work Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Unarmed man killed by Arizona cop cried, begged for life

New York Daily News

Jason Silverstein

5 hrs ago

An unarmed man who was shot and killed by an Arizona police officer in January cried, complied with police orders and begged for his life before the fatal firing, according to a newly released police report.

Mesa Police Officer Philip Brailsford has been charged with second-degree murder for the death of Daniel Shaver, a 26-year-old Texas man. Authorities have declined to release Brailsford’s body cam footage from the deadly encounter.

But a report released on Tuesday includes extensive description of the footage, detailing Shaver’s desperate final moments before Brailsford fired five shots at him with an AR-15 rifle.

Police confronted Shaver on January 8 after responding to reports of a man pointing a rifle out the fifth-floor window of a La Quinta hotel.

After some shots of rum, the man asked Shaver about a case that appeared to hold a musical instrument. Shaver opened it to reveal a pellet gun and dead sparrow inside. Shaver told them he was on a business trip with Wal-Mart and “his job is to kill all of the birds that get inside the buildings,” according to the report.

Shaver then briefly pointed the pellet gun out the window.

When police found Shaver, they warned him that he “may not survive” if he did anything that could be considered a threat, the report says.

Brailsford’s body cam shows Shaver appeared to making small jerking motions while he had his hands behind his back., according to the report.

An officer yelled at him, “If you do that again, we are shooting you. Do you understand?”

“No, please don’t shoot me,” Shaver said.

The footage shows Shaver complying with all other orders, including a demand to crawl toward the officers, as he is “audibly heard sobbing.”

At one point, Shaver’s hand appeared to move toward his waist. An officer was heard yelling “Don’t” before Brailsford fired.

Shaver was not armed. His hand motion appeared to be him “attempting to pull his shorts up as they were falling off,” the report says.

Previous reports have indicated Shaver may have been drunk at the time of the shooting — despite telling officers he was not — and possibly did not understand police orders. Shaver’s autopsy report has not been released.

Brailsford was charged with second-degree murder and fired from the department. The new report reveals Brailsford had etched on his rifle: “You’re F---ed.”

Shaver’s widow and the mother of his two girls, Laney Sweet, posted a YouTube video this week saying prosecutors are considering a plea deal for the ex-cop. The Maricopa County Attorney has not commented on the case.
=====

Uh, time for drunk white guys lives matter?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shaver’s widow and the mother of his two girls, Laney Sweet, posted a YouTube video this week saying prosecutors are considering a plea deal for the ex-cop. The Maricopa County Attorney has not commented on the case.
=====

Uh, time for drunk white guys lives matter?
Don't worry I'm sure he will get a sweet plea deal and be back out quickly.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The new report reveals Brailsford had etched on his rifle: “You’re F---ed.”
I think it is safe to say that any cop with something like this on his weapon is a piece of shit just itching to shoot someone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it is safe to say that any cop with something like this on his weapon is a piece of shit just itching to shoot someone.
It was only a matter of time before he did. It's sad that no one was able to recognize the signs before hand.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
As I have always told you guys I'm against bad police and bad police work. Sadly, I just had to recommend that a 6 year officer be fired for lying. It was for something really minor in the grand scheme of things, but it doesn't excuse it. And while Iamtdg is right in that we don't have NE style unions, there will still be hearing before he goes.
Meant to respond when I saw this the first time. Props for being a stand up guy. We need more people with those ethics in administration.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Supreme Court Finds Racial Bias in Jury Selection for Death Penalty Case
By ADAM LIPTAKMAY 23, 2016

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that prosecutors in Georgia violated the Constitution by striking every black prospective juror in a death penalty case against a black defendant. The vote was 7 to 1, with Justice Clarence Thomas dissenting.

The case, Foster v. Chatman, No. 14-8349, arose from the 1987 trial of Timothy T. Foster, an African-American facing the death penalty for killing Queen Madge White, an elderly white woman, when he was 18.

In notes that did not surface until decades later, prosecutors marked the names of black prospective jurors with a B and highlighted those names in green. They circled the word “black” where potential jurors had noted their race on questionnaires.

They ranked those prospective jurors in case “it comes down to having to pick one of the black jurors,” as the prosecution’s investigator put it in a draft affidavit at the time. In the end, prosecutors struck all four black potential jurors.

After Mr. Foster was convicted, Stephen Lanier, the lead prosecutor, urged the all-white jury to impose a death sentence to “deter other people out there in the projects.” The jury did so.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., writing for the majority, said the prosecutors had violated a 1986 decision, Batson v. Kentucky, in which the Supreme Court ruled that race-based discrimination in jury selection was unconstitutional and required lawyers accused of it to provide a nondiscriminatory explanation.

That is a forgiving standard. “All I have to do is have a race-neutral reason,” Mr. Lanier said at the time, “and all of these reasons that I have given the court are racially neutral.”

But Chief Justice Roberts rejected several of Mr. Lanier’s reasons, calling them pretextual. The chief justice focused on two prospective jurors, Marilyn Garrett and Eddie Hood.

Mr. Lanier had offered a list of 11 reasons for striking Ms. Garrett, including that she was too young.

“Yet Garrett was 34,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote, “and the state declined to strike eight white prospective jurors under the age of 36. Two of those white jurors served on the jury; one of those two was only 21 years old.”

Mr. Lanier also said Ms. Garrett was unfit to serve because she was divorced. But, the chief justice wrote, Mr. Lanier “declined to strike three out of the four prospective white jurors who were also divorced.”

Mr. Lanier gave eight reasons for striking a second prospective juror, Mr. Hood, including that his son was the same age as the defendant and had been convicted of a crime that was, he said, “basically the same thing that this defendant is charged with.”

Chief Justice Roberts called this “nonsense.”

“Hood’s son had received a 12-month suspended sentence for stealing hubcaps from a car in a mall parking lot five years earlier,” he wrote. “Foster was charged with capital murder of a 79-year-old widow after a brutal sexual assault.”

Mr. Lanier also said he doubted that Mr. Hood would impose the death penalty in light of his religious faith. “But the record persuades us that Hood’s race, and not his religious affiliation, was Lanier’s true motivation,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote.

In sum, the chief justice wrote, “we are left with the firm conviction that the strikes of Garrett and Hood were motivated in substantial part by discriminatory intent.”

The decision was narrowly focused on Mr. Foster’s jury selection and is unlikely to have a broad impact. Evidence of the sort that surfaced in Mr. Foster’s case is rare, and the Batson decision is easy to evade.

Studies in Alabama, Louisiana and North Carolina have found that prosecutors use peremptory challenges two or three times more often to strike black potential jurors than to strike others.

Stephen B. Bright, a lawyer for Mr. Foster, now 48, said his client was “entitled to a new trial at which jurors are not excluded based on race.” But Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., in a concurrence, suggested that the state court in Georgia might still have a path to rule against Mr. Foster.

In dissent, Justice Thomas said the majority had not given enough deference to the trial judge’s assessment of the prospective jurors’ demeanor and of the prosecutors’ credibility.

For instance, Justice Thomas said, the judge determined that Mr. Hood had answered questions about the death penalty slowly and softly. Notes in the prosecutors’ files said the Church of Christ, of which Mr. Hood was a member, did not take a formal stand against capital punishment, Justice Thomas added.

“This new evidence supports the prosecution’s stated reason for striking Hood — that he, as a member of the Church of Christ, had taken an uncertain stance on capital punishment,” Justice Thomas wrote.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think it would be like, I dunno, swell, if these idiot yahoo cops would stop killing black guys.

kthxbai

townsend

Banned
I wonder how many cops will still say "well the video doesn't tell the whole story, there's probably more to this" #thinblueline

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wonder how many cops will still say "well the video doesn't tell the whole story, there's probably more to this" #thinblueline
They don't have a leg to stand on with these. The second video from the store in Baton Rouge was clear and the one from Minnesota was brutal.

I don't know what they are training these guys to do, but I would hope this is not the idea.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Long but interesting article.

Tens of thousands of people every year are sent to jail based on the results of a $2 roadside drug test. Widespread evidence shows that these tests routinely produce false positives. Why are police departments and prosecutors still using them?

https://www.propublica.org/article/common-roadside-drug-test-routinely-produces-false-positives
They may arrest a person but they won't get a conviction witout lab results. Those tests are shit though.

townsend

Banned
They don't have a leg to stand on with these. The second video from the store in Baton Rouge was clear and the one from Minnesota was brutal.

I don't know what they are training these guys to do, but I would hope this is not the idea.
It seems to me, from what I've heard in justifications, if you are scared it's okay to shoot. It doesn't even matter if you are irrationally scared. If at any point if you are intimidated by a suspect, shoot first and get six months administrative leave.

I also think there are straight up sociopaths on the force that know that wearing a badge is one of the very few ways to get away with cold blooded murder. Because no matter how heinous or indefensible a shooting is, cops will still close ranks to protect the guy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They may arrest a person but they won't get a conviction witout lab results. Those tests are shit though.
They are pressuring these people into plea bargains and in some cases they are getting bad advice from public defenders.

There are a couple of examples in the article.

townsend

Banned
The thing that keeps me up at night is for all the Freddie Grays and Tamir Rices, and these two new ones, where they have the cops dead to rights abusing their authority and committing murder, how many more have died and no one even acknowledged, because the cops sabotaged their camera, a 3rd party didn't have the brass balls to film it, or it was just someone without any witnesses to see what was done to them.

I feel like there are tons of rats in the walls.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It seems to me, from what I've heard in justifications, if you are scared it's okay to shoot. It doesn't even matter if you are irrationally scared. If at any point if you are intimidated by a suspect, shoot first and get six months administrative leave.

I also think there are straight up sociopaths on the force that know that wearing a badge is one of the very few ways to get away with cold blooded murder. Because no matter how heinous or indefensible a shooting is, cops will still close ranks to protect the guy.
I think that is a very low percentage of cops.

In these cases it seems like overreaction from fear, I think it goes back to the type of people who are filling these positions and the lax screening.

Like Fort said there is a real problem filling all of the open positions.

And like you said the feeling of being untouchable.

townsend

Banned

In these cases it seems like overreaction from fear, I think it goes back to the type of people who are filling these positions and the lax screening.

It sounds like they've been scared shitless by training too. A lot of emphasis on how they could die at any second if they don't react quickly enough.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Well, it is not like our police force is full of top shelf educated individuals.

Sorry if that sounds like a broad brush, but seriously. These are not exactly a slice of the top layer of the work force.

Most cops I have ever interacted with in my lily white existence seem like what Nelson Muntz would end up like.

It does not help that the jobs are thankless and underpaid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It sounds like they've been scared shitless by training too. A lot of emphasis on how they could die at any second if they don't react quickly enough.
Culturally, I think a distrust of authority, specifically the police force has been bubbling for a while. Kids are perceived to be raised that way and frankly stereotypes have gotten worse since the advent of hip hop culture. That leads to white fear, especially when these dumb asses are placed in situations of stress.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well, it is not like our police force is full of top shelf educated individuals.

Sorry if that sounds like a broad brush, but seriously. These are not exactly a slice of the top layer of the work force.

Most cops I have ever interacted with in my lily white existence seem like what Nelson Muntz would end up like.

It does not help that the jobs are thankless and underpaid.
Exactly.

Had to look up Nelson Muntz but spot on.:lol

Top Bottom