Archer: With Dez Bryant out, Brice Butler gets his chance

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
With Dez Bryant out, Brice Butler gets his chance
3:46 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Early in Tuesday’s practice, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo made sure he was paired with Brice Butler.

After throwing a pass to Terrance Williams in individual drills, Romo had Butler sit for a minute so he could get his timing down with him.

On any other day it might not have been noteworthy, but on this day Dez Bryant was not practicing because of a concussion. He won’t play Thursday against the Seattle Seahawks.

Butler is expected to move up to the starter’s role with Bryant out, depending on the personnel grouping the Cowboys use.

In the first two preseason games, Butler has four catches for 96 yards and a touchdown, but he has yet to catch a pass from Romo.

Acquired in a trade last year after Bryant suffered a broken foot in the season opener, Butler is still waiting for his first pass from Romo. The quarterback suffered a broken collarbone in Week 2 and after he returned seven weeks later Butler was slowed by a hamstring strain.

By the time Butler was healthy, Romo broke his collarbone for a second time.

“Last year there was a lot of stuff going on, went from being traded to being here for a few weeks then getting hurt, so I think I wasn’t really able to show on a consistent basis because I wasn’t out there,” Butler said. “Now I’ve been practicing every day. They get to see me every day. They’re understanding who I am as a person more.”

There were some who wondered whether Butler would challenge Williams for the No. 2 receiver spot in training camp. That hasn't happened, but the Cowboys have seen he can make plays.

In last week’s game against the Miami Dolphins, he started a two-play drive with a 58-yard catch from Dak Prescott and ended it with a 1-yard fade from Prescott for the score. He had a potential touchdown catch negated because of an offensive pass interference penalty.

“You mean the one they stole from me,” Butler said.

The aggressiveness -- even if it was called a push off -- was something the Cowboys liked even if they wished it was a little more subtle.

“One of the things for him is just to play and to understand how physical he needs to be,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s a big guy, he runs well, he’s a good route runner. But it’s a physical game, a physical game at the point of the catch. I think he’s improved in that area.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There were some who wondered whether Butler would challenge Williams for the No. 2 receiver spot in training camp. That hasn't happened, but the Cowboys have seen he can make plays.
Because there's no challenging for the No. 3 spot. It's crazy for Butler to get the start that Bryant has to be out.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

Oh, for fucks sake. Forget about the #1, #2, and #3 designation on the depth chart. They are different positions. Why can everybody else in the free world see that a SLOT RECEIVER is a completely different thing than an outside X or Y receiver? And that Butler is an outside, speed WR. An X or Y. Not the small, quick in tight quarters WR that Beasley is.

I think you were right, [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]. He has to be just trolling at this point. Nobody is this dense, right?

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Oh, for fucks sake. Forget about the #1, #2, and #3 designation on the depth chart. They are different positions. Why can everybody else in the free world see that a SLOT RECEIVER is a completely different thing than an outside Z or Y receiver? And that Butler is an outside, speed WR. An X or Y. Not the small, quick in tight quarters WR that Beasley is.

I think you were right, [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]. He has to be just trolling at this point. Nobody is this dense, right?
I'm just going to stop arguing with him about it. It's completely nonsensical and he is smarter than that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just going to stop arguing with him about it. It's completely nonsensical and he is smarter than that.
Yeah, sort of like his theory that the heavier a D-lineman is the better. It's just not worth talking about.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Forget about the #1, #2, and #3 designation on the depth chart. They are different positions.
NoDak, #1, #2, and #3 are not positions as you imply, but rather the order of targeting priority. X, Y, and Z are the actual WR positions. Correct? Romo usually wants to hit Dez, Williams, Witten, Beasley, then RB in that order.

#3 among WRs does not mean a different position, but if a savvy poster like you can be interpreted as implying it, just imagine how a simpleton like Jerry Jones sees it?

For Jerral 1, 2, and 3 equate with contract/draft pedigree-- IOW how he will be viewed for having committed to them.

IMO Butler is more talented and dangerous and probably has better position flex than Beasley, and so he should get more targets and practice time. It's that simple.

Do you see Jerry Jones allowing Beasley fewer targets for a low pick trade pickup like Butler? Hard for me to see him allowing that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
NoDak, #1, #2, and #3 are not positions as you imply, but rather the order of targeting priority. X, Y, and Z are the actual WR positions. Correct? Romo usually wants to hit Dez, Williams, Witten, Beasley, then RB in that order.

#3 among WRs does not mean a different position, but if a savvy poster like you can be interpreted as implying it, just imagine how a simpleton like Jerry Jones sees it?

For Jerral 1, 2, and 3 equate with contract/draft pedigree-- IOW how he will be viewed for having committed to them.

IMO Butler is more talented and dangerous and probably has better position flex than Beasley, and so he should get more targets and practice time. It's that simple.

Do you see Jerry Jones allowing Beasley fewer targets for a low pick trade pickup like Butler? Hard for me to see him allowing that.
:picard

Top Bottom