2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Please let Cleveland draft Cook. I just want to see RG3 with another Michigan State backup.
Prescott. Please let them take Prescott.

Edit: Bah.. I forgot they already took Kesler. Bastards.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I hope they aren't just locked in on defense, as though they are going to fix the defense by forcing a pick this late in the draft. But at the same time we are 3 picks away. So if the top 3 guys on our board are defense, obviously we would know defense is likely with the next pick.

Of course if we were going to go Cook, you would be very secretive about it. In the fourth round it would be pretty cheap for someone to move up ahead of us to take him if they wanted. Cook is starting to remind me of AJ McCarron though. A guy who played in an NFL style offense, had all the skills to probably be a second/third round QB but ended up going in the fifth because teams thought he was a massive dick. Similarly McCarron thought he was a guaranteed first rounder so he skipped the Senior Bowl and blew stuff like that off. Sort of like Connor Cook did.
But I don't believe that there were ever questions about McCarron's character.

All the NFL teams know about Cook's skills and this is a QB needy, even desperate league. The background on his locker room demeanor must be absolute poison. It's not like he's Marino where he's so good, he can be a dick. Nobody is looking to bring an asshole in to their QB meeting room.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I don't believe that there were ever questions about McCarron's character.
There absolutely were. It was widely known McCarron was dropping because he came off like a cocky asshole during predraft interviews.

I then look back and remember Cook basically coming out and saying he believes he should be the top QB in the draft and first overall pick. Teams don't like that type of attitude from a QB.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Honestly the meltdown wasn't as epic as I expected. It was more of a mini-rant.

I saw Deuce's comment about Iamtdg storming off so I had expectations of an Art-like meltdown.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Love getting 20 year olds instead of 23 or 24 year olds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like drafting the young guys. There are two reasons for that really. Part of me loves seeing a guy like Tyron Smith who has been on the team forever and is still only 25 years old. But the other part of it is that I just think a 24 year old college guy has an advantage going against 19 and 20 year old competition. His body is just further developed. So it's almost like part of their success can be attributed to the advanced age. When a guy is dominating at 20 you look at him and then think, man by the time he is 24 he's going to be even that much better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting, NFL Network actually did just report that Ogbah and Dodd were the top guys we wanted in round two and that Jaylon was our backup pick to those two. Basically said that Jerry admitted to that being the case. But that Jaylon was a name they were prepared to take if those two were gone.

dallen

Senior Tech
It sucks that our strategy still seems to be taking risks with second round picks. I hope Smith fully heals and becomes the player we expect him to be, but we have have to stop taking players who may not even be able to play whether due to injury or suspension.

dallen

Senior Tech
Interesting, NFL Network actually did just report that Ogbah and Dodd were the top guys we wanted in round two and that Jaylon was our backup pick to those two. Basically said that Jerry admitted to that being the case. But that Jaylon was a name they were prepared to take if those two were gone.
I thought that might have been. It is good to hear. Maybe we weren't planning on rolling the dice on Smith then.

D

Deuce

Linda Cohn looks like a retired street walker who's being forced back into the game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought that might have been. It is good to hear. Maybe we weren't planning on rolling the dice on Smith then.
I would have loved Ogbah but I'm luke warm on Dodd. Unfortunately Ogbah went to the Browns so his career will probably never take off. I think long term Jaylon has a way bigger impact on this defense then Dodd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pats were going to take him in the second per Rappaport. They can take chances like that though.
I always love the Patriots bias though. They take Jaylon and it would be one of those "Oh the Patriots ahead of everyone again getting the best player in the draft." Their draft picks are total shit most of the time but they win because of Tom Brady and great defensive schemes but then people act like their shit doesn't stink when they do dumb stuff.

Not saying them taking Jaylon would have been a bad move at all. No one will say it but I think the Pats are having one of the worst drafts of anyone.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I always love the Patriots bias though. They take Jaylon and it would be one of those "Oh the Patriots ahead of everyone again getting the best player in the draft." Their draft picks are total shit most of the time but they win because of Tom Brady and great defensive schemes but then people act like their shit doesn't stink when they do dumb stuff.

Not saying them taking Jaylon would have been a bad move at all. No one will say it but I think the Pats are having one of the worst drafts of anyone.
Big difference between pick 34 and 61 though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Big difference between pick 34 and 61 though.
I don't know about that. They are both second round picks. Jaylon is either going to play and be a stud or not play at all. So in the end regardless of 34 or 61 it will either look like a big bust or a big steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom