QB Controversy Thread...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
But it does go to show you how fantasy football and the pass happy style of play that you see from most teams has skewed many fans perception of what good QB play looks like.

I'm shocked that members of our fan base who lived through the Aikman era are thumbing their noses at the 250 yards and 2 TDs of clean football that Dak gives us week after week.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
But it does go to show you how fantasy football and the pass happy style of play that you see from most teams has skewed many fans perception of what good QB play looks like.

I'm shocked that members of our fan base who lived through the Aikman era are thumbing their noses at the 250 yards and 2 TDs of clean football that Dak gives us week after week.
That's a great point.

250 and 2 TD's is kind of seen as "old" football. You can't win in the NFL with the 90's Cowboys approach -- that's what lots of people think. Because of the new age of passing football and all the fantasy stuff, people think you're supposed to hit 300 every week because 300 in today's NFL is like 200 in the old NFL.

It's just enough to make defenses respect you.

But we're seeing that that theory isn't true. We're finding out that you do have to throw for 350 a week in today's NFL because most everyone else stopped playing old school football. If you have a dominant running game, you don't have to pass for 300 or 350 every week. 250-plus will get it done and then some.

It's not like we're just getting by with our passing game either. Even if it's not at 300, we are killing teams short, intermediate, and deep, and we're doing it at various points in a game.

Not a single time this season has our passing game proven to be a hindrance to the team. Not once.

So fans need to stop living in this lie where we could be so much better with Romo. Yes, he's more seasoned. Yes, he's likely to be the better pure passer.

But what about protecting the football? What about the mobility? What about the threat the read option poses? Those are all those we lose that have been major factors in the offense's success and the success of the team as whole.

Just let it go already.

It's Dak's team and it needs to stay that way so long as he keeps playing well and the team keeps winning.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

That's right. Aikman threw just enough to keep the defenses honest. The team rode Smith a great deal of the time but that's what a balanced att know should be.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's a great point.

250 and 2 TD's is kind of seen as "old" football. You can't win in the NFL with the 90's Cowboys approach -- that's what lots of people think. Because of the new age of passing football and all the fantasy stuff, people think you're supposed to hit 300 every week because 300 in today's NFL is like 200 in the old NFL.

But we're seeing that that theory isn't true. We're finding out that you do have to throw for 350 a week in today's NFL because most everyone else stopped playing old school football. If you have a dominant running game, you don't have to pass for 300 or 350 every week. 250-plus will get it done and then some.

It's not like we're just getting by with our passing game either. Even if it's not at 300, we are killing teams short, intermediate, and deep, and we're doing it at various points in a game.

Not a single time this season has our passing game proven to be a hindrance to the team. Not once.

So fans need to stop living in this lie where we could be so much better with Romo. Yes, he's more seasoned. Yes, he's likely to be the better pure passer.

But what about protecting the football? What about the mobility? What about the threat the read option poses? Those are all those we lose that have been major factors in the offense's success and the success of the team as whole.

Just let it go already.

It's Dak's team and it needs to stay that way so long as he keeps playing well and the team keeps winning.
Agreed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And yet we are averaging more points and more yards per game than we did with Romo in 2014.

That's not to slight Romo in any way, just saying that it's not as simple as you're trying to make it. Dak has been a key factor in what we've done this year.
First of all this is the best kind of problem to have.

Dak is doing better than Tony in 2014 because the entire offense is better. There's better OL play and depth and the WR corps is deeper and more mature.

Zeke is an animal (better than Murray in 2014), and Morris is solid as a backup.

The OC's have put in more short passes because of Dak and it's had the effect of opening up the offense.

You keep those plays in and add Romo you'll pass the "efficient" mark and head into dangerous.

I feared Ben Roethlisberger yesterday. Teams don't fear Dak, they fear the whole offense.

But it doesn't matter anymore. Romo is the backup.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I feared Ben Roethlisberger yesterday. Teams don't fear Dak, they fear the whole offense.
Kinda hard not to fear the unit that is led by Prescott if they don't fear or respect him to some extent, no?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's a great point.

Just let it go already.

Spot on, my friend.

Cotton

Staff member
First of all this is the best kind of problem to have.

Dak is doing better than Tony in 2014 because the entire offense is better. There's better OL play and depth and the WR corps is deeper and more mature.

Zeke is an animal (better than Murray in 2014), and Morris is solid as a backup.

The OC's have put in more short passes because of Dak and it's had the effect of opening up the offense.

You keep those plays in and add Romo you'll pass the "efficient" mark and head into dangerous.

But it doesn't matter anymore. Romo is the backup.
I beg to differ. I think we are in dangerous territory now. If we are playing our A game, there isn't a team in the NFC that can beat us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I beg to differ. I think we are in dangerous territory now. If we are playing our A game, there isn't a team in the NFC that can beat us.
Your homerism.

It sickens me

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Your homerism.

It sickens me
But, it feels so gooooooooood!
I'm there too.

We can make it to the SB and it's time everyone got their expectations up.

We've beaten good teams and we've won in some of the hardest places to play in the league. This team is amazing and these two rookies have injected this belief and character into the team that was missing for so many years.

I'm not saying we're going to make it all the way, just that we absolutely can.

Sky is the limit for this team and I am hoping they get the job done.

They can do it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm there too.

We can make it to the SB and it's time everyone got their expectations up.

We've beaten good teams and we've won in some of the hardest places to play in the league. This team is amazing and these two rookies have injected this belief and character into the team that was missing for so many years.

I'm not saying we're going to make it all the way, just that we absolutely can.

Sky is the limit for this team and I am hoping they get the job done.

They can do it.
I'm not jumping to the Super Bowl yet. The playoff will be a different level of football than any of this squad has seen. The defense is too suspect to think the team will just level everyone in the NFC. I like how things are going but the road will get bumpier the further this team goes because they dont have a solid back up situation so things can change in a hurry.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not jumping to the Super Bowl yet. The playoff will be a different level of football than any of this squad has seen. The defense is too suspect to think the team will just level everyone in the NFC. I like how things are going but the road will get bumpier the further this team goes because they dont have a solid back up situation so things can change in a hurry.
I didn't say we'd make it to the SB, simply that we could make it.....and we can.

And who suggested we'd "level" everyone in the NFC?

And what is with this insistence on the backup QB situation that you keep going on about? You know who else doesn't have a good backup QB situation? Seattle, Atlanta, Philly, NYG, Arizona, etc.

Newsflash -- Every single team we'd have a chance to face in the playoffs would all be screwed if their QB went down.

This season isn't and won't be determined by our backup QB, it'll be determined by the ability to continue our current level of play into January.

Cotton

Staff member
We can change the name of the thread, because there is no controversy anymore. The decision is easy at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We can change the name of the thread, because there is no controversy anymore. The decision is easy at this point.
Schmitty would beg to differ. But Dak could be holding the superbowl trophy and he won't admit it.

Cotton

Staff member
Schmitty would beg to differ. But Dak could be holding the superbowl trophy and he won't admit it.
And, he would be just as wrong as he has been all along.

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo's future with Cowboys murky after he's named backup
11:00 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- No one knows if Tony Romo has thrown his last pass as a member of the Dallas Cowboys, but it would surprise no one if he has, considering the team and the city are intoxicated by rookie quarterback Dak Prescott’s youthful exuberance.

The most prolific passer in franchise history will be a backup for the foreseeable future.

It's not fair, but neither is life. No one -- not even Romo -- can be surprised at the the club’s decision with the Cowboys in the midst of an eight-game winning streak, which is tied for the longest in franchise history.

Besides, Jerry Jones and his son Stephen each released test balloons on their weekly radio shows this week that suggested Romo would be amenable to being the backup.

Romo has never been a confrontational dude, an in-your-face yeller and screamer, so he will grudgingly accept his new assignment. He'll continue to help the rookie in meetings and on Sundays, while waiting for an opportunity to lead the team again.

Prescott, the 135th player taken in the 2016 NFL draft, who arrived at training camp as the third-string quarterback, has played better than any scout, coach or teammate could've envisioned.

But that's not the only reason he has relegated Romo.

The Cowboys have the NFC's best record -- a two-game lead in the NFC East -- and late in games he plays with a poise usually reserved for veterans.

Twice in the final two minutes Sunday night, he led Dallas from behind in their dramatic 35-30 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field.

The reality is that when Romo replaced Drew Bledsoe as the Cowboys’ starter a decade ago, it was because he was having the same impact on the city and the team that Prescott is having now.

A decade from now, we’ll probably be having the same type of conversation about Prescott’s eventual replacement and remembering when he took Romo’s job.

Prescott gives the offense a read-option element Romo doesn't, and playcaller Scott Linehan has built a scheme around Prescott's skill set that has allowed the Cowboys to have one of the league's most prolific offenses.

He has passed a litany of tests in the season’s first 10 weeks, and at some point, we must accept that he’s a good player. There’s nothing fluky about his performance or the Cowboys’ record.

Everything you see from Prescott is sustainable, and as a rookie, you can expect him to improve weekly.

There's no way to slowly work Romo into the Cowboys' offense. The starter receives almost all the snaps in practice each week. The backup gets one series each Friday and spends the rest of the week working with the scout team.

Talk to anyone who has played with Romo and they'll tell you no one is more competitive. Expect the competition between the scout team and starters to get amplified as Romo tries to show all the Cowboys' decision-makers just how much he has left.

Then again, the questions about Romo these days aren’t about his talent; they’re about his health.

In 2014, his last full season, Romo was second-team All-Pro after throwing 34 touchdown passes with 10 interceptions and leading the NFL in passer rating.

But since the start of the 2015 season, he has fractured his collarbone twice and suffered a compression fracture in his back that has forced him to miss this season's first eight games. He has missed all or part of 22 of the last 24 games.

Unless the Prescott we've seen during the season's first eight games falls apart, Romo's days of starting in Dallas are over.

That will make a fan base that hasn’t really appreciated just how good he has been as a starter -- 78-49 record with 247 touchdowns and 117 interceptions -- happy because he's synonymous with the mediocrity that has plagued the Cowboys since 1997.

The Cowboys entered this season with a 152-152 record and two playoff wins since the 1996 season ended, and only Washington and Detroit (both 1992) have a longer NFC Championship Game drought.

When the season ends, Jerry Jones will need to make the same tough decision he has made in the past with Emmitt Smith, Larry Allen and DeMarcus Ware among others.

He can release Romo or trade him for a conditional pick or two based on his health.

This league doesn't have nearly enough quarterbacks to go around, so there will be plenty of suitors. Or, Romo could decide he doesn't want to go to a new city and organization at this point in his life with a wife and two young kids, so he could walk away from the game.

A lot of decisions must be made in the coming months. Who starts at quarterback for the Cowboys isn't one of them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if Romo may consider retirement after this year. With the back issues I'm sure his wife would love for him to walk away from the game still being able to actually walk and run.

I don't think he will, but I'm sure it has to at least be a discussion for Romo after this year.

Cotton

Staff member
I wonder if Romo may consider retirement after this year. With the back issues I'm sure his wife would love for him to walk away from the game still being able to actually walk and run.

I don't think he will, but I'm sure it has to at least be a discussion for Romo after this year.
I'm hoping he retires and then signs on to coach for the Cowboys.

Top Bottom