Video Game Chatter

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I've always been really good at it.

It's the reason I won most of my games in our old Madden league from 2009. My passing was so average and I needed every bit of my running game to win. :lol
I was always the exact opposite. I relied too heavily on my passing game. I mean, Garrett doesn't have shit on my Madden game.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I haven't bought Madden since 05 I believe. We bought the kids a PS4 for Christmas last year, and BestBuy gave me a $50 gift card.

So as soon as I can get there I'm gonna buy Madden and take over the PS4 for football season.

I'm as green as it gets, but if y'all have a Madden League this year I may give it a shot.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
From what I've gathered from the reviews, the positives are that the game actually plays the closest to real football in a long time.

RBs actually feel different. Murray is different from McCoy, Sproles from Peterson, etc.

Defense is actually fun to play and the front 7 play has been greatly improved.

ST matters for the first time ever. Both human and cpu controlled STs make plays and can change a game.

Do you agree with all that?
There definitely has been a significant upgrade in ST compared to the last version I played.

There actually options that allow you to choose how you kick the ball....back spin, hang time, normal, low trajectory for long kicks, etc.

Another nice touch of realism is when a kicked ball hits the ground it doesn't rocket out of bounds at 100 MPH like previous versions. The ball actually bounces like you'd expect balls to bounce in real life; especially when you use back spin.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I haven't bought Madden since 05 I believe. We bought the kids a PS4 for Christmas last year, and BestBuy gave me a $50 gift card.

So as soon as I can get there I'm gonna buy Madden and take over the PS4 for football season.

I'm as green as it gets, but if y'all have a Madden League this year I may give it a shot.
We haven't been able to get a successful league going since that first one we did in 2009.

It was a lot of fun and I'm sure it would be fun again if we could get the same participation.

I know we have enough people who still play Madden, we would just need them to commit to it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I suck at running the ball on Madden.
Same here. When I fire it up today I'm going to have to humble myself and either bump up the RB sliders or bring the skill level down from All Pro to Pro.

I've played about 3 games with the Cowboys and I barely pulled off 3 ypc. Behind that OL with Zeke one would think there would be plenty of running lanes. I played against the Giants, Dolphins, and Ravens and all three of their DLs dominated the Cowboys OL. So that's the one real negative that I've seen so far. No way in hell should a line with 3 All-Pros struggle to open lanes against those teams.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I was always the exact opposite. I relied too heavily on my passing game. I mean, Garrett doesn't have shit on my Madden game.
CSB time.

Back when I was really good at Madden in the late 90's early 2000's, my running game had quite the reputation in the competitive circuit.

I went to tourney's from 98-2002. It was basically thrown in hotel ballrooms by a guy who called himself The Swami. There was no EA sponsorship or any recognition from the industry whatsoever. It was basically a tourney thrown by the community for the community.

But it all went back to the Swammi guy. He was a good dude. A Cowboys fan out of Florida who built a website and forum by the name of thepfl.com

He created like a hub for all of these local Madden leagues across the country to meet and chat with one another, and through that, he built what he called was "The PFL" which united them all for competitive play. I the first major tourney that I attended was the Madden 2001 tournament in New Orleans at the Sheraton Hotel where I placed 3rd out of roughly 100-plus players from around the country. In that tournament, I knocked off the 2-time reigning champ -- another Houston player who called himself the Candyman. :geek :towel

You're pretty good at digging up stuff on the web, see if you can find anything. I did a quick google search of The PFL and The Swammi, and this is all I could find:

The MWS is a spinoff of The PFL.com, and the Madden NFL enthusiasts who first visited that forum. The PFL.com Madden NFL Forum first appeared on the Internet in 1997, and started gaining popularity in Summer and/or Fall of 1998. Israel Charles, otherwise known as "The Swammi" to Madden NFL fans, headed up the Forum, and was sooned joined on the forum not only by members of The PFL Madden NFL PlayStation League, but Madden NFL enthusiasts from all over the country. And The Greatest GAME EVER!

It wasn't until Fall of 2000 when the members of The PFL.com forum sought to create a governing body similar to what the NCAA was to collegiate athletics. Led by the efforts of Patrick "Player-Coach" Sims, The Madden World Syndicate became a reality by early 2001.
Those were good times. :art

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION]

Madden for you this year?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I doubt I will play another Madden game for a good number of years. Probably not until my son is playing as a teenager.

There are too many other single player games that I don't have the time to play. And sports games are always a huge time drain what with their franchise modes. Madden in particular like doubles the amount of time you have to invest, because every time you change what screen you are on the menus have to load for like 4 seconds. It's unfathomable the amount of waiting you have to do to simulate the front end stuff. I don't know whether they need to turn down all the bright lights and polish or what but they simply must find a way to improve the front end experience before I'd ever dream of going back.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Played a few more games with the Cowboys, Bengals, and Seahawks....I finally cracked the code on the run game.

I'm still playing on All-Pro but I bumped the run blocking sliders up from 50 to 60. That seems to be a realistic setting. I also learned to lay off the turbo and only use it as needed. Those two adjustments have me averaging a more realistic 4.5 to 5.5 ypc in my last few games.

Really fun game, IMO.

For those who bought last year's version, how does this one compare?

Cotton

Staff member
Just ordered No Man's Sky on Amazon. Paid the extra 4 bucks for next day delivery. Will be playing it tomorrow night hopefully. I imagine my review will be similar to Junk's, except I dig games like that, so I doubt I will say it doesn't live up to its hype.

dallen

Senior Tech
I saw a video review of the new Deus Ex game. It looked pretty great. Anyone picked it up yet?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Finally played my first game of Madden.

There were like 5 fumbles in that game.

Is this the norm?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Finally played my first game of Madden.

There were like 5 fumbles in that game.

Is this the norm?
Nope. I've played about 15 games and have fumbled maybe twice.

The gripe that I have is I get called for about 3 or 4 holding penalties per game. That's a realistic number but I'm so used to 20+ years of holding penalties rarely being called in Madden that those 3 or 4 seem like an unusually high amount. :lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Nope. I've played about 15 games and have fumbled maybe twice.

The gripe that I have is I get called for about 3 or 4 holding penalties per game. That's a realistic number but I'm so used to 20+ years of holding penalties rarely being called in Madden that those 3 or 4 seem like an unusually high amount. :lol
:lol

That is true.

I was like, what's up with all these holdings?

If they are finally putting penalties in the game, then that is a good thing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So far, is Madden is fun.

Lots of the stuff I used to gripe about appears to have been improved. Receivers can run through perfectly thrown passes in stride with no slow down. Defensive line play actually matters, etc.

The only thing I have yet to figure out is if the trajectory of the passes have improved so you can finally make real life throws in tight pockets......or are safeties and LB's still leaping to the moon to knock them down?

1bigfan13

Staff member
So far, is Madden is fun.

Lots of the stuff I used to gripe about appears to have been improved. Receivers can run through perfectly thrown passes in stride with no slow down. Defensive line play actually matters, etc.

The only thing I have yet to figure out is if the trajectory of the passes have improved so you can finally make real life throws in tight pockets......or are safeties and LB's still leaping to the moon to knock them down?
You can throw high and low passes now. Found that out by doing the Madden Skills Trainer.

Press L1 for the high/fade route type pass.

Press L2 to throw the ball low.

I've high pointed a few with Dez.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You can throw high and low passes now. Found that out by doing the Madden Skills Trainer.

Press L1 for the high/fade route type pass.

Press L2 to throw the ball low.

I've high pointed a few with Dez.
Oh nice.

Because I haven't played Madden in a few years, this one feels different and I can tell there's a lot of extra gameplay stuff that wasn't there before.

Looks like I'll have to to training mode as well to see all the new additions.

Cotton

Staff member
Friggin UPS fucked up my delivery of No Man's Sky. Was supposed to be here yesterday, but now it's looking like it will be Monday. At least Amazon was good enough to refund me the 4 bucks I paid to have it next day.

Top Bottom