Archer: Jerry Jones gives Ezekiel Elliott some credit for Noah Brown pick

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones gives Ezekiel Elliott some credit for Noah Brown pick
12:14 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- We know Ezekiel Elliott can run the ball as well as any running back in the NFL. We know how he is a top pass catcher. We know he can pick up blitzes as a blocker, too.

Evidently, the Dallas Cowboys running back can also scout as well.

While he wasn’t the first one with the organization to tell the Cowboys about Ohio State wide receiver Noah Brown, he was willing to throw in his two cents about Brown, who was picked in the seventh round.

“I don’t mind telling you that the No. 1 for Brown was Zeke Elliott,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “Of course, he really had a lot of neat things [to say] about Brown, and he was of course there [Ohio State] with Brown two years ago. He has a high value on what Brown can potentially bring to the table.”

Brown said early in the process Elliott told him he was “going to push the front office guys to try and get a look at me and get me down there to Dallas. I’m definitely excited to be his teammate again. And he’s such a great player. Looking forward to helping him make plays and help the Cowboys make plays.”

Brown and Elliott were teammates for two seasons at Ohio State, although a leg injury kept Brown out of the 2015 season. He decided to forego his final year of eligibility because of the risk of injury having already missed a season, but he was not disappointed in going so late in the draft.

Brown, 6-foot-2, 218 pounds, had only 32 catches for 402 yards but shared the team lead with seven touchdown catches. Four of those touchdown catches came against Oklahoma.

“I feel like I bring a nasty edge to the team,” Brown said. “I feel like I’m a big, physical receiver and in all aspects of the game is going to play that way. In the run game, I’m going to try to smash safeties on a crack block, try to put the cornerback on the bench on a play where I’m not getting the ball. And the same when I’m running a route. I feel like it’s one of my strong points, to go up and get the ball and battling. I’m somebody who’s going to battle all game.”

While that sounds a little like Dez Bryant, Brown has played in only 14 games since high school.

“He is one of those guys that the floor may be a little lower, but he also has a really big ceiling,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “All you have to do is flip on the Oklahoma game, and you can see his work. He had some injuries that him out of play for a while. I think he gained some weight -- he probably didn’t handle that perfectly, but a couple years ago he was in the mix right there with some big time receiving talent, stride for stride with them. We just think that we can get him in here in a good situation and give him the best opportunity to go out there and compete. I think Coach [Jason] Garrett and Scott [Linehan] and Derek [Dooley] have a great vision for him in terms of what he can do for us. He is physical; he is a big time blocking wide receiver in the running game. Obviously, a big physical guy like that has a great opportunity to contribute on special teams.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So if he sucks, we blame Elliott?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, it's a shot in the dark. I don't really feel good that he is going to develop into any sort of a NFL starting WR but you never know. Mostly I think he will fill the hole of a blocking WR in our offense potentially at some point.

townsend

Banned
Eh, it's a shot in the dark. I don't really feel good that he is going to develop into any sort of a NFL starting WR but you never know. Mostly I think he will fill the hole of a blocking WR in our offense potentially at some point.
If nothing else he should be a decent body on our special teams unit.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Depends. I watched a lot of the buckeyes being fro Ohio. The guy made some phenomenal plays and I'm not sold on Barrett as a an at all. Mentor him up and give him a real quarterback and see what happens

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Sounds undisciplined from the few blurbs I've read on him.

The weight gain speaks to that a bit.

And fuckin Jerry....turns to a player to help pull the trigger on a draft pick. :lol

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And fuckin Jerry....turns to a player to help pull the trigger on a draft pick. :lol
I'd be willing to bet that happens more than we know. Late round guys that you might not know much about, but has draftable measurables. Ask somebody that has played on the same team as them what they were like as a teammate. What they were like inside the the locker room and out when the coaches weren't around.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'd be willing to bet that happens more than we know. Late round guys that you might not know much about, but has draftable measurables. Ask somebody that has played on the same team as them what they were like as a teammate. What they were like inside the the locker room and out when the coaches weren't around.
Oh, no doubt.

I was just more or less relating it to Snake Oil/PT Barnum Jer....the side that rears its ugly head every now and again.

:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, no doubt.

I was just more or less relating it to Snake Oil/PT Barnum Jer....the side that rears its ugly head every now and again.

:unsure
Probably should wait to give "credit" until he actually does something. Otherwise it could just as easily be blame.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
It sure would be nice if one of these late WRs would actually turn out for us.

I'm not holding out any hope though given our history.

I mean hell, there's still people that think Andy Jones is going to turn out for us.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What intrigues about Brown is how when healthy he competed and at times dominated at the highest level of competition in college football. His measurables also lead you to believe his game will translate to the NFL.

Minor discipline concerns aside, the main knock against him was an injury that scared him into declaring early giving us a small sample size overall.

Had he stayed at OSU, I suspect he'd have picked up where he left off and made it his strongest year yet. He'd likely have ended up a second day pick in 2018.

Last edited:
Top Bottom