Fox sports report: Chip Kelly's trade offer for Mariotta while with Philly

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
If that is true and I'm the owner of TB and the titans I fire my GM on the spot for not taking it!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If that is true and I'm the owner of TB and the titans I fire my GM on the spot for not taking it!
I agree. Franchise QBs are a necessity, but I don't think Mariota was a generational talent that could command that kind of deal.

That is why I question this a little bit. Was Lurie that willing to let him ruin the franchise?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well, from the eagles perspective there was a large sentiment at the time that Kelly's biggest problem was he couldn't run his true system until he got a mobile QB.

And if you think about the deal in terms of who the actual players would have been, for all intents and purposes it was Fletcher Cox, Sam Bradford, Nelson Agelhor, Eric Rowe, and whomever they would have otherwise selected this year at 13 (let's say Conklin maybe).

I don't think that's an overwhelming loss for a franchise QB.

The big risk is whether Mariota would have lived up to it under Kelly. If he's Aaron Rodgers you do that deal all day. If he's RGIII you've set yourself back.

But none of the players they would have given up are franchise altering players (including Cox). And Algelhor may be a bust, and Rowe was underwhelming.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But none of the players they would have given up are franchise altering players (including Cox). And Algelhor may be a bust, and Rowe was underwhelming.
If you make that trade though you're not getting Algelhor or Rowe. You're getting the guys you want to draft. Who may not have been busts at all.

Cox is like a high first round Dline talent. So the trade is more like Mariota for 3 firsts and a second. Bradford or whatever QB is a WGAS to me. They would be nothing but a waste of time.

It all depends how good Mariota is still. If the guy makes your offense elite, it's worth the picks and maybe the Eagles pick wouldn't be so high this year.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I wish that trade had gone through. Philly would be an absolute dumpster fire right now.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Genghis Khan

If you make that trade though you're not getting Algelhor or Rowe. You're getting the guys you want to draft. Who may not have been busts at all.

Cox is like a high first round Dline talent. So the trade is more like Mariota for 3 firsts and a second. Bradford or whatever QB is a WGAS to me. They would be nothing but a waste of time.

It all depends how good Mariota is still. If the guy makes your offense elite, it's worth the picks and maybe the Eagles pick wouldn't be so high this year.
I'm speaking from the eagles perspective and what they wouldn't have currently had they done that deal.

Cox is great, yes, and a former high first. They'd be losing a lot without him. But he'll probably get a hundred million dollar contract and you could argue that the eagles would be better off getting something in return for him instead. Buffalo, Miami, and TB have all given out huge DT contracts and it hasn't worked for any of them.

Otherwise I agree. It all depends on mariota.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm speaking from the eagles perspective and what they wouldn't have currently had they done that deal.

Otherwise I agree. It all depends on mariota.
That's fair, although I don't think anyone goes into a draft thinking they will draft poorly. I just don't know if you can consider hindsight with that sort of thing. I'm actually not saying it would have been a good trade or a bad one. It's a matter of how good Mariotta would have been under Chip Kelly with the Eagles. None of us really have that answer. I don't really think you can look at Mariotta with the Titans and judge how he would have done if the Eagles had drafted him. There is a certain amount of "fit" involved. And hypothetically Chip Kelly's offense may have been the ultimate fit for him.

Genghis Khan

That's fair, although I don't think anyone goes into a draft thinking they will draft poorly. I just don't know if you can consider hindsight with that sort of thing. I'm actually not saying it would have been a good trade or a bad one. It's a matter of how good Mariotta would have been under Chip Kelly with the Eagles. None of us really have that answer. I don't really think you can look at Mariotta with the Titans and judge how he would have done if the Eagles had drafted him. There is a certain amount of "fit" involved. And hypothetically Chip Kelly's offense may have been the ultimate fit for him.
That's true.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That probably would have been one of the worst trades in NFL history. Hard to match Dallas' arse raping of the Vikings back in the day but it would be up there in the top ten, twenty.

Damn shame it didn't happen. :sad

Top Bottom