Cowboys Sign Mayowa To 3 Year Deal

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys sign Benson Mayowa to offer; Raiders have 5 days to match

5:59 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have signed restricted free agent defensive end Benson Mayowa to an offer sheet, according to sources, and now have to wait to see if the Oakland Raiders will match.

Mayowa visited the Cowboys' Valley Ranch facility on Friday and had a physical before signing the offer sheet. The Raiders have until midnight ET on Wednesday to match.

Because Mayowa was not drafted in 2013, the Cowboys will not owe the Raiders any compensation. Oakland gave Mayowa the right-of-first-refusal tender worth $1.671 million. The Raiders will have the cap space necessary to match the offer, so it will come down to whether the team wants to pay such a salary.

Mayowa was with the Seattle Seahawks in 2013 as an undrafted free agent and spent the past two seasons with the Raiders and had two sacks. In 12 games for the Raiders in 2015, he had 16 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and a safety.

The Cowboys turned their attention to Mayowa after losing out on Chris Long (who signed with the New England Patriots) and Andre Branch (who joined the Miami Dolphins) this week. They have a need at defensive end with Greg Hardy, Jeremy Mincey and Jack Crawford all unsigned on the free-agent market.

DeMarcus Lawrence, who led the Cowboys in sacks last season with eight, is recovering from offseason back surgery. Randy Gregory, last year's second-round pick, will miss the first four games of the season for a suspension.

If Oakland does not match, then Mayowa would be the first restricted free agent the Cowboys have signed since the free agency system began.

----------

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I still just understand what the fuss was about this guy, but whatever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I still just understand what the fuss was about this guy, but whatever.
It is the Seattle thing. He has the same stupid fucking SPARQ rating factor that we seem to value now.

If the guy tests well, and Oakland or Seattle likes him? Well yeehaw!

townsend

Banned
I hope this attempt to fill the line from the bargain bin means a willingness to pick QB and not Jalen fucking Ramsey.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope this attempt to fill the line from the bargain bin means a willingness to pick QB and not Jalen fucking Ramsey.
This is just an oh shit, we need a DE body move.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Tech had a player on their roster that had higher a higher sparq score than pretty much everyone. He transferred from Ohio State where he was a 5 star out of high school. He just now left Tech to go to a lower division school. If you can't start in defense for Tech you are officially a bust.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah we really love the Raiders and Seahawks. This guy fits both of those requirements.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
This is just another example of throwing shat against the wall to see if it sticks.

townsend

Banned
This is just another example of throwing shat against the wall to see if it sticks.
I would have a lot more faith in our ability to make things stick if it weren't for last year. We had so many swings and misses in 2015.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dumpster diving at it's finest.

I guess the hope is that the guy is young and had 3 sacks last year in about 400 snaps, so theoretically if he improves a bit maybe he is a guy that can give you 5-6 sacks a year as a part of a rotation?

Who the hell knows, couldn't we have just given Andre Branch the 1 year/3 million deal he got from Miami?

And why the hell are we so willing to give a guy who is basically completely unproven almost 3 a year, or even Hanna for that matter who has never been more than a backup TE yet we don't want to lock up a guy like Hall who has proven he can play a substantial role at a high level in the league?

Just because they're younger?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a feeling he is this years Jasper Brinkley. Someone that we think can contribute but who doesn't deserve to make the team. Of course with this contract I doubt we would even cut him.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I have a feeling he is this years Jasper Brinkley. Someone that we think can contribute but who doesn't deserve to make the team. Of course with this contract I doubt we would even cut him.
or the immortal Caesar Rayford

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
or the immortal Caesar Rayford
Eh I don't think of that the same. We traded a seventh for a young end who had a really good preseason. I at least sort of understand that.

Signing a guy who has basically been cut and bounced around the NFL without ever doing anything to a decent sized 3 year contract is worse in my opinion.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I would have a lot more faith in our ability to make things stick if it weren't for last year. We had so many swings and misses in 2015.
We've had plenty of swings and misses over the years, not just last year and the ratio of hits to misses borders on ridiculous when it comes to fringe players. It's not always about finding the best player but the best fit, not the guy with borderline potential. It's what the Pats are good at. Dallas, notsomuch.

Top Bottom