Bills fire General Manager Doug Whaley

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bills fire General Manager Doug Whaley

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 30, 2017, 8:39 AM EDT

Doug Whaley is done.

Whaley, the Bills G.M. who had reportedly been on thin ice all offseason, was officially fired early Sunday morning.

“After a thorough review of our football operations over the past several months, Kim and I informed Doug this morning that we will be moving in a new direction,” Bills owner Terry Pegula said in a statement. “We have enjoyed working with Doug. He is a good person and we want to thank him for his work and commitment to our football team. This was my decision. It was not an easy decision but I believe it’s the right one for the future of the Buffalo Bills. Our search for a new general manager will begin immediately.”

Almost immediately after the Bills hired head coach Sean McDermott, there was talk coming out of Buffalo that McDermott and Whaley didn’t see eye to eye, and that Pegula sided with McDermott when the two disagreed. Pegula reportedly gave McDermott control of the draft, and now that the draft is over, Whaley is out.

midswat

... soon
Usually not a good thing when a head coach, let alone a relatively young and inexperienced one, has 'control of the draft.'

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Damn. They must have REALLY hated their draft.

But they did take Tre'Davious White in the first round, so...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think the decision to can him was made a long time ago, but I guess they kept him around to get them through the draft. Supposedly he had no ownership of this draft class, it belonged to the head coach. Fired the entire scouting staff too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Weird timing
Most are speculating that the decision was made before the draft but they didn't want any scouts leaking their board.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I liked their draft so if McDermott had control of it, it wasn't that bad. Wasn't crazy about White at 27 but it wasn't a terrible reach or anything, and I really liked the Zay Jones/Dion Dawkins combination in the 2nd.

Top Bottom