Archer: So why haven't the Cowboys cut Brandon Carr?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So why haven't the Cowboys cut Brandon Carr?
1:12 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The question gets asked almost every day: when will the Dallas Cowboys cut Brandon Carr?

Carr is set to make $9 million this year and count $13.8 million against the cap in the final year of a five-year, $50 million deal he signed in 2012. He hasn’t had an interception since Thanksgiving 2013.

But don’t be so sure the Cowboys are just going to get rid of Carr.

To let him go, they need to find a replacement -- and that replacement has to come at the right price.

Have you seen the cornerback market?

The New York Giants set the market by giving Janoris Jenkins $12.5 million per year, the way the Cowboys helped set the market in 2012 on Carr at $10 million per year. Sean Smith was given $10 million a year from the Oakland Raiders. Adam Jones, who turns 33 in September, received $8 million a year from the Cincinnati Bengals. Brent Grimes will make $8.25 million over the next two years from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has 13 interceptions and three straight Pro Bowl appearances over the last three seasons.

The Baltimore Ravens will pay Shareece Wright more than $5 million a year and he has one interception in 55 games. The San Diego Chargers signed Casey Hayward to a three-year deal worth $15.3 million and he is mostly a slot corner.

So what do the Cowboys do with Carr?

Cutting him isn’t the only answer. Coming up with a re-worked deal is another answer, perhaps adding a year or two. Take out the top end of the market so far, and the price for a starting corner looks to be in the $5-6 million-a-year range.

Carr may not an interception since 2013, but he hasn’t missed a game either. There is value in that, and availability is a big reason why Morris Claiborne, who has missed 24 games in his first four years, had to settle for a one-year deal worth up to $3.75 million.

Everyone from Jerry Jones to Stephen Jones to Jason Garrett to Rod Marinelli has praised Carr publicly. He is the right kind of guy that Garrett talks about. Fans don’t want to hear this. They want interceptions and big plays.

The Cowboys don’t doubt they overpaid for Carr in 2012 but that’s what happens in free agency. Is Jenkins worth $12.5 million a year? To the Giants he was because of their need. Will he produce like he’s Darrelle Revis? The odds are against that, just like they were against Carr.

The easy thing to do is cut a player. The harder thing to do is find the right replacement.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Oh fuck off spags

notice he conveniently didn't mention Heyward

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
To save 9 million on a guy that hasn't had an int since 2013, I cut him and I can find a spare that will get better than that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Everyone from Jerry Jones to Stephen Jones to Jason Garrett to Rod Marinelli has praised Carr publicly. He is the right kind of guy that Garrett talks about. Fans don’t want to hear this. They want interceptions and big plays.
Oh you silly fans, favoring good players who make plays over ones who are consistently mediocre. When will you ever learn?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh fuck off spags

Oh you silly fans, favoring good players who make plays over ones who are consistently mediocre. When will you ever learn?
Yeah, Archer has really gone the direction of shill lately. It's sad because is/was one of the better beat writers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You silly fans, wanting plays out of your corners. Carr stays healthy and is a good cheerleader.

What else could you possibly want out of a corner.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Oh fuck off spags

The Baltimore Ravens will pay Shareece Wright more than $5 million a year and he has one interception in 55 games. The San Diego Chargers signed Casey Hayward to a three-year deal worth $15.3 million and he is mostly a slot corner.
:unsure

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
another Jerry-issued trial balloon courtesy of Archer. fucking disgrace.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
another Jerry-issued trial balloon courtesy of Archer. fucking disgrace.
Fuck, Archer is not even trying to hide it anymore.

Either he is getting free table dances from Jerry's leftovers on Friday nights or he is after Spagnola's job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Amazing how the value of a corner changes.

Oh, you didn't sign that guy? Feh, he's a slot corner. You wanna pay that?

Sign Scandrick to starter money for slot duty. You can never have enough CBs, in fact, that slot guy is basically a 13th starter!

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Fuck, Archer is not even trying to hide it anymore.

Either he is getting free table dances from Jerry's leftovers on Friday nights or he is after Spagnola's job.
the scary thing is that he might be right. this team is way too comfortable with mediocrity (Hanna, Hayden, Claiborne, Clutts, Church, etc.)

Jiggyfly

Banned
Amazing how the value of a corner changes.

Oh, you didn't sign that guy? Feh, he's a slot corner. You wanna pay that?

Sign Scandrick to starter money for slot duty. You can never have enough CBs, in fact, that slot guy is basically a 13th starter!
Scandrick has barely gotten starters money he is getting about 5 million per even with the last contract.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
the scary thing is that he might be right. this team is way too comfortable with mediocrity (Hanna, Hayden, Claiborne, Clutts, Church, etc.)
Comfortable. That is why I have said it for a very long time.

Laziest front office in football. Mainly because nobody is accountable.

The GM certainly isn't accountable and fears for his job. Nor is the guy responsible for contracts. Maybe, just maybe, the talent guy might get some heat, but that only goes so far because everyone makes decisions "collectively" because the GM himself is too ignorant to do it himself.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
There's loyalty then there's Jones family loyalty. We're not talking about Darrelle Revis or even T-New here. We're talking about an overrated scrub who has never lived up to his contract. I mean, there's no rhyme or reason to their business decisions. You let Ware, who is still one of the franchise's best players, walk for economic reasons(Which I wasn't against) but cling to Carr? It makes no sense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that is the biggest problem with Jerry. He becomes best buddies with these players and then can't make the tough business decisions to part with them. Right kind of guy when talking about Carr and Church is just another way of saying Jerry really likes them as people and it blinds him to their playing ability on the field.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think that is the biggest problem with Jerry. He becomes best buddies with these players and then can't make the tough business decisions to part with them. Right kind of guy when talking about Carr and Church is just another way of saying Jerry really likes them as people and it blinds him to their playing ability on the field.
Yea, and while this stuff preceded Garrett let's not act like he should be absolved when it comes to it. You know he vouches for these try hard guys who are on the straight and narrow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, and while this stuff preceded Garrett let's not act like he should be absolved when it comes to it. You know he vouches for these try hard guys who are on the straight and narrow.
Oh I think Garrett is right there with his right kind of guy mantra. Not that there is anything wrong with having players with the right kind of attitude, just not at the cost of having actually good players.

townsend

Banned
Oh I think Garrett is right there with his right kind of guy mantra. Not that there is anything wrong with having players with the right kind of attitude, just not at the cost of having actually good players.
This reminds me of Jerry "walking on eggshells" around Parcells. There's "the right kind of guy" and then there are people who don't challenge you. Jerry and company want an organization with no personal conflicts, and they're willing to pass on superiority for mediocrity to do it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cutting him isn’t the only answer. Coming up with a re-worked deal is another answer, perhaps adding a year or two. Take out the top end of the market so far, and the price for a starting corner looks to be in the $5-6 million-a-year range.
I suggested this a while back. He's nothing special, but you aren't going to find an upgrade at this point outside of the draft and players we've developed internally.

Sterling Moore is out there, but there has to be a reason why he keeps getting cut.

Top Bottom