Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Look at that contract. I would have been all over that. Which means of course we were not.
That contract is pretty steep for a 30-year-old safety coming off injury.

Not saying I would not have done it but it's not cheap.

Jiggyfly

Banned
We had plenty of space to sign Weddle if we had wanted to, I don't really blame them for not doing so since it's a bit more than I'd want to pay him but not signing Hayward really pisses me off. And for all we know we were right there in terms of how much we were offering Weddle, there was alot of cloak and dagger stuff going on with his FA recruitment.

From a higher level perspective, it really pisses me off that we seem to be wanting to go after a win-now mentality through the draft, thus ignoring the potential to solidify our QB situation for years, as opposed to trying to win-now through free agency. We easily could've been more aggressive in free agency and went after guys like Hayward, Weddle, Tahir Whitehead, Jerrell Freeman, Lamar Miller, etc., and used the 4th pick on a QB, thereby solidifying the present and the future.

Mortgaging a little bit of our future in free agency wouldn't have been a terrible thing considering the huge contracts that will be gone in 2-3 years (Romo namely but also Witten, Carr and probably Lee as well).

As usual, this organization shows no real foresight or creativity.
Or maybe those guys just wanted to sign elsewhere.:shrug

There was no buzz about the Matt Forte interest.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Right now, the Fat Lady is singing. Free agency is done. Miller was a guy they were holding out on and finally they cave.

From now on, it is just the dregs.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Right now, the Fat Lady is singing. Free agency is done. Miller was a guy they were holding out on and finally they cave.

From now on, it is just the dregs.
There are still some interesting names out there especially at DB.

Patrick Robinson
Rashad Johnson
Leon Hall
Walter Thurmond
Reggie Nelson

Some other guys I would be interested in

Zach Brown
Jason Jones
Jason Hatcher
Demario Davis

And we could always take a flyer on another head case like Aldon Smith.:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Patrick Robinson
Rashad Johnson
Leon Hall
Walter Thurmond
Reggie Nelson

Zach Brown
Jason Jones
Jason Hatcher
Demario Davis

I'd put Antonio Cromartie on that list too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Patrick Robinson
Rashad Johnson
Leon Hall
Walter Thurmond
Reggie Nelson

Zach Brown
Jason Jones
Jason Hatcher
Demario Davis

Just names. Nothing real there.

Walter Thurmond is supposedly considering hanging it up. Nelson, who knows what his deal is.

Jason Jones is visiting the Steelers. Jason Hatcher is supposedly ready to retire too.

So like I said, it's over.

It's down to dice rolls and rubbing a rabbit's foot.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Just names. Nothing real there.

Walter Thurmond is supposedly considering hanging it up. Nelson, who knows what his deal is.

Jason Jones is visiting the Steelers. Jason Hatcher is supposedly ready to retire too.

So like I said, it's over.

It's down to dice rolls and rubbing a rabbit's foot.
Those names are more than just camp bodies, you are just poo pooing them to continue and be grumpy.:lol

And then you ignored over half the names, nobody is saying these guys are game changers but there could be some surprises and at least good veteran depth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah forgot about him, but he is more of a straight man corner not that versatile for cover 2.
I think Boykin is out there still too. A guy who I really like and who makes plays when teams actually put him on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those names are more than just camp bodies, you are just poo pooing them to continue and be grumpy.:lol

And then you ignored over half the names, nobody is saying these guys are game changers but there could be some surprises and at least good veteran depth.
The Panthers started some guys like that on their defense and we applauded. Guys like Charles Tillman who looked washed up but played a major role on that defense. There are still quality free agents out there who can be big contributors. Of course who knows if Dallas is really still looking at all.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Any thoughts on Courtney Upshaw as a SLB?

I know he is a bigger LB but is there anything to work with there?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No just realistic. This is the trash phase of free agency, and it is barely a week old.

Several years ago, there was the idea this was where you shopped for bargains.

Well, in their completely predictable dumb fuck fashion, the Joneses are hanging around the bar at last call.

Fuck it. It's over.

Because I can tell you, I doubt any of them on our radar. They are just mediocre enough for us talk ourselves out of. Oh, Rashad Johnson was a product of a stacked Cardinal secondary and not a real starter. That Patrick Robinson? Not gonna pay for one solid redemption season in SD. Leon Hall? We quite simply avoid older veterans like the damn plague and you know it.

As for the LBers, who cares? No room at the Inn or some such shit. And even if we did, what the fuck would Demario Davis or Zach Brown do?

Jiggyfly

Banned
No just realistic. This is the trash phase of free agency, and it is barely a week old.

Several years ago, there was the idea this was where you shopped for bargains.

Well, in their completely predictable dumb fuck fashion, the Joneses are hanging around the bar at last call.

Fuck it. It's over.

Because I can tell you, I doubt any of them on our radar. They are just mediocre enough for us talk ourselves out of. Oh, Rashad Johnson was a product of a stacked Cardinal secondary and not a real starter. That Patrick Robinson? Not gonna pay for one solid redemption season in SD. Leon Hall? We quite simply avoid older veterans like the damn plague and you know it.

As for the LBers, who cares? No room at the Inn or some such shit. And even if we did, what the fuck would Demario Davis or Zach Brown do?
Like I said you just want to be grumpy and you will create scenarios to fit that.

And you were somebody interested in Brown before free agency started.:lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like I said you just want to be grumpy and you will create scenarios to fit that.

And you were somebody interested in Brown before free agency started.:lol
And that was before we signed back Wilber to keep the band back together.

That all but eliminates any more activity. It is what we do.

It is like that little bit of fun we have in the draft.

You know the feeling, you prepare lists after the first two rounds. You get all excited.

Then all you get in the fourth is shit like Matt Johnson. Or in the seventh, you think, oh, this guy, oh wait, we just traded a future sixth for Geoff fucking Swaim.

Try again little camper.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I left Boykin off because he does not fit size wise for what they usually look for.
I don't worry that much about it. Our best corner is Scandrick who is 5'10" and considered small. What's the difference between that and 5'9" Boykin.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Any thoughts on Courtney Upshaw as a SLB?

I know he is a bigger LB but is there anything to work with there?
Too fat and lazy. I would swear people figure Ozzie doesn't want him, he must suck.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't worry that much about it. Our best corner is Scandrick who is 5'10" and considered small. What's the difference between that and 5'9" Boykin.
The size cut off thing is real. Look at WR and CB. Unless you prove it, almost by accident, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom