DMN: The five best Dallas Cowboys QBs of all time, ranked: Where do Staubach, Aikman

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The five best Dallas Cowboys QBs of all time, ranked: Where do Staubach, Aikman and Romo land?

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter:mad:SportsDayDFW

Editor's note: SportsDay is beginning a series that attempts to figure out the best Dallas Cowboys players at each position. Today we examine quarterbacks.

The Dallas Cowboys organization is one of great success and has an illustrious history. There have been some big names that have worn jerseys for America's Team.

Out of all of the quarterbacks in franchise history, who was the best? That's what our panel of writers and columnists tried to determine.

Each voter named their top five quarterbacks. A first-place vote counted for five points, second place gets four points, third place gets three points and so on.

Those who listed their top five players include Brandon George, Kate Hairopoulos, David Moore, Jon Machota, Tim Cowlishaw, Rick Gosselin and Kevin Sherrington.

Here's how they broke it down:

1). Roger Staubach (6 first-place vote), 34 points

2. Troy Aikman (1 first-place vote), 29 points

3. Danny White, 16 points

T-4. Don Meredith 13 points

5. Tony Romo, 13 points

The rundown

George: Aikman won one more Super Bowl, but Staubach helped lead the Cowboys to five.

Hairopoulos: Staubach made the Cowboys America's team.

Moore: Gap between the top two and rest of field can only be shortened by multiple Super Bowl titles.

Machota: The No. 3 spot was tough. I went with the franchise leader in passing yards, TDs and fourth-quarter comebacks.

Cowlishaw: Two Hall of Famers at this position sets this franchise apart.

Gosselin: Staubach is the most underrated, underappreciated QBs in NFL history.

Sherrington: Staubach could have won big in any era. Don't know if you could say the same about the rest.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Don't think I would put Meredith over Romo.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
My ranking is
Staubach
Aikman
White
Romo
Meredith

Cotton

Staff member
I know Romo doesn't have a ring, but I still put him ahead of White and Meredith.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I know Romo doesn't have a ring, but I still put him ahead of White and Meredith.
You have a right to your opinion, even though it's wrong

Cotton

Staff member
You have a right to your opinion, even though it's wrong
I liked White, but Romo has done more with less. If Danny White had had the offensive lines Tony has had to deal with, he would have gotten killed.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I liked White, but Romo has done more with less. If Danny White had had the offensive lines Tony has had to deal with, he would have gotten killed.
Take your excuses to teh Zone, White has a better playoff record so he's ahead.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Take your excuses to teh Zone, White has a better playoff record so he's ahead.
With the exception of one year in 2006, White had much, much, much better coaching. That has a lot to do with their respective playoff records.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
With the exception of one year in 2006, White had much, much, much better coaching. That has a lot to do with their respective playoff records.
Well maybe if Romo had brought up to Jerry he needed a real HC instead of backing the fraud he'd have a ring or at least better playoff record

Cotton

Staff member
Got into a conversation about this on Twitter, and this tweet graced my TL. :picard

Genghis Khan

Well maybe if Romo had brought up to Jerry he needed a real HC instead of backing the fraud he'd have a ring or at least better playoff record
I slightly agree that Romo would have been better served not backing Garrett, but truthfully Romo worshipped Parcels too and it didn't matter in the end.

Just like Aikman clearly would have preferred Jimmy Johnson or really anyone but Switzer. Jerry does what he does.

Genghis Khan

Got into a conversation about this on Twitter, and this tweet graced my TL. :picard

People want bright line stats and/or accomplishments to define these things but it's more nuanced than that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
People want bright line stats and/or accomplishments to define these things but it's more nuanced than that.
Are you saying that Zeke the Gawd is wrong???? Surely not...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
1). Roger Staubach (6 first-place vote), 34 points

2. Troy Aikman (1 first-place vote), 29 points

3. Danny White, 16 points

T-4. Don Meredith 13 points

5. Tony Romo, 13 points
I agree with this based on results. But it is hard to compare each QB since they had different situations. It likely would look different if any of the top 4 had to play on a Cowboys team from the last 10 years with Wade / Garrett as their HC and the roster Romo had to deal with. Same could be said if Romo was able to play for Landry or Jimmy and on the teams they fielded in the 70's, early 80's and '90's.

Cotton

Staff member
And some faded memories. Or maybe they are just too young to remember. But, Aikman was one of the most accurate passers the league has ever seen. And, Staubach just about had it all going for him.

Cotton

Staff member
Are you saying that Zeke the Gawd is wrong???? Surely not...
Actually, I was talking about the reply tweet stating that Romo was the best ever. That other guy (Zeke the Gawd) is actually pretty level-headed on most stuff.

Top Bottom