Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watching Goff with Gruden just reminds me of how much I love Goff as a QB. His pass protection wasn't just bad, it was god awful. I mean they just didn't block rushers at all. By design there offense was doing run blocking on pass plays. And yet he was ripping off beautiful passes while getting the snot knocked out of him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still think I'd rather go with one of the DL or Elliot and then a CB in the 2nd or 3rd, rather than Ramsey at 4 and then a DL in the 2nd
So you would rather Elliot and Kendall Fuller then Ramsey and Derrick Henry?

I don't really want either of those but I'd take Ramsey and Henry every day of the week out of those two options.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
So you would rather Elliot and Kendall Fuller then Ramsey and Derrick Henry?

I don't really want either of those but I'd take Ramsey and Henry every day of the week out of those two options.
I don't trust Derrick Henry as a prospect, so I'd go with Elliott and Fuller.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't trust Derrick Henry as a prospect, so I'd go with Elliott and Fuller.
I think Elliott is getting majorly overrated. I have no idea what he did to propel himself from a 15-25 type pick to now being talked about in the top 10 but I think those two backs are a lot closer then where they will be drafted. To me Henry runs with even better power and balance. His feet aren't as quick as Elliott and he isn't the receiver Elliott is but in our system, I think they put up similar rushing stats.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Report: Rams will take Goff with No. 1 pick

Report: Rams will take Goff with No. 1 pick

Given the fact that the 2016 NFL Draft is less than two weeks away, take this with a grain of salt: The Los Angeles Rams are expected to take quarterback Jared Goff with the No. 1 overall pick, per Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

With this expected move, the Cleveland Browns, who coveted Goff, are “very open” to moving down in the draft.

If Goff is, indeed, the first pick of the draft, and if the Browns don’t like Carson Wentz, you’d have to expect there would be a lot of interest in Cleveland’s second overall pick.

There are mixed reviews on both quarterbacks, but given the desperate level of need some teams have at the position, another huge trade up to No. 2 wouldn’t be out of the question.

La Canfora mentioned the Tennessee Titans -- the team that traded away No. 1 to the Rams -- as a potential mover up to No. 2. That would be quite an interesting development. Really only three players would make sense if that move were made: safety Jalen Ramsey, left tackle Laremy Tunsil or linebacker Myles Jack.

Other teams that could potentially make a move up to No. 2 include the Dallas Cowboys (No. 4) if they LOVE Wentz or one of the top defenders, the San Francisco 49ers (No. 7) or Philadelphia Eagles (No. 8) -- both of which are likely in the hunt for long-term franchise passers.

Back to the Rams, their reported interest in Goff isn’t surprising. The last big-time Cal quarterback who came out (Aaron Rodgers) turned out pretty good, and he was underrated by most, just like Goff has been throughout the spring.

He’s a California boy who, if he does turn out to be an NFL-caliber gunslinger, would look great as the face of the franchise.

And this franchise needs that kind of boost.

There are a lot of moving parts when big trades occur. There is also a lot of misinformation being pumped out by front offices and agents, alike. Whatever the case, this is a fun time of year for those who enjoy NFL intrigue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given the fact that the 2016 NFL Draft is less than two weeks away, take this with a grain of salt: The Los Angeles Rams are expected to take quarterback Jared Goff with the No. 1 overall pick, per Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

With this expected move, the Cleveland Browns, who coveted Goff, are “very open” to moving down in the draft.

If Goff is, indeed, the first pick of the draft, and if the Browns don’t like Carson Wentz, you’d have to expect there would be a lot of interest in Cleveland’s second overall pick.

There are mixed reviews on both quarterbacks, but given the desperate level of need some teams have at the position, another huge trade up to No. 2 wouldn’t be out of the question.

La Canfora mentioned the Tennessee Titans -- the team that traded away No. 1 to the Rams -- as a potential mover up to No. 2. That would be quite an interesting development. Really only three players would make sense if that move were made: safety Jalen Ramsey, left tackle Laremy Tunsil or linebacker Myles Jack.

Other teams that could potentially make a move up to No. 2 include the Dallas Cowboys (No. 4) if they LOVE Wentz or one of the top defenders, the San Francisco 49ers (No. 7) or Philadelphia Eagles (No. 8) -- both of which are likely in the hunt for long-term franchise passers.

Back to the Rams, their reported interest in Goff isn’t surprising. The last big-time Cal quarterback who came out (Aaron Rodgers) turned out pretty good, and he was underrated by most, just like Goff has been throughout the spring.

He’s a California boy who, if he does turn out to be an NFL-caliber gunslinger, would look great as the face of the franchise.

And this franchise needs that kind of boost.

There are a lot of moving parts when big trades occur. There is also a lot of misinformation being pumped out by front offices and agents, alike. Whatever the case, this is a fun time of year for those who enjoy NFL intrigue.
You have to love how one day it's all about Wentz. That's who the Rams traded up for and that's who the Browns wanted at 2. The next day the Rams wants Goff and that's who the Browns want at 2 as well. This time of year is so wonderful with all the misdirection.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I still think I'd rather go with one of the DL or Elliot and then a CB in the 2nd or 3rd, rather than Ramsey at 4 and then a DL in the 2nd or 3rd. It also hasn't helped that 3 of the last 4 times we've picked in the top 10 we've gone with a DB, with marginal to no success. I know none of them have any impact on Ramsey's career, but I'm tired of taking DB's when we are picking this high. The one time we didn't in the last 15 years was Tyron and he's been the best of the 4 top ten picks we've had.

Truth be told, out of the non-QB's we're debating at 4, I'm not confident in any of them. Ramsey, Bosa and Buckner all have potential and all scare me to an extent. A month ago I was definitely against Elliot at 4 thinking it was too much of a reach. But right now he looks to me to be the most solid, safest pick at that point.
Terrance Newman was more than a marginal success go back and look at that draft he was a top 5 performer.

data

Forbes #1
"Caught in the Draft" by NFLN is a great series.

just laughing at Kyle Brady segment.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Terrance Newman was more than a marginal success go back and look at that draft he was a top 5 performer.
He had his moments and was good, but he wasn't an elite shutdown CB. Also Roy Williams had 2-3 good years and then got fat and stopped being productive and then became a liability in coverage. I wouldn't be opposed to Ramsey if he had excelled at CB or S. But he hasn't, he is just a great athlete who has potential.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He had his moments and was good, but he wasn't an elite shutdown CB. Also Roy Williams had 2-3 good years and then got fat and stopped being productive and then became a liability in coverage. I wouldn't be opposed to Ramsey if he had excelled at CB or S. But he hasn't, he is just a great athlete who has potential.
Even if all that is true he was still one of the 5 best players in that draft and 2 of those guys were drafted before him.

It does not matter what you want in a top 5 pick it's what's available and everybody ignores that when talking about this draft and these players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Worst draft ever?
2009 was pretty close.
The Cowboys had a first-round grade on McCoy, who was a dynamic collegiate player at Pittsburgh. (Although it had been more than 30 years, the Cowboys made it work with a Pitt running back before in Tony Dorsett.) The worry in taking McCoy, however, wasn’t about him, but rather where he’d fit into the scheme.

Just one year prior, the Cowboys had taken Felix Jones in the first round of the 2008 draft, as well as Tashard Choice in the fourth round. Not to mention they had also signed Marion Barber to a seven-year, $45 million contract the previous summer.

So the Cowboys passed on McCoy. They also passed on Oklahoma tackle Phil Loadholt, whose minor injury concern was enough to scare them off.

Still, the Cowboys did like players such as Connor Barwin, Alex Mack and Max Unger. Surely, one of those guys would be around at No. 51. Unfortunately, that would not be the case. All of them, along with a few others of interest, started coming off the board at a rapid pace, according to Cowboys college scouting coordinator Chris Hall.

“The next thing you know, Connor Barwin went off the board, Alex Mack went off the board,” Hall said. “We had six or seven guys and they all went off – ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. All gone. We felt good about six picks, and they all went. We didn’t want to take (McCoy) and couldn’t pull the trigger on Loadholt, so we traded.”

It’s a trade that Hall has written down on a piece of paper and pinned up on a bulletin board that hangs above his desk in his office.

“We traded the 51st pick for the 75th and 110th pick,” Hall said. “We lost about 110 points on any draft chart you look at. We left a first-round pick in LeSean McCoy on the board. We didn’t take Phil Loadholt, who had a higher grade. He would’ve been a right tackle and who knows what happens with Doug Free. Loadholt might have been our right guard all these years. You just never know.”

The 75th pick turned out to be Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams and 110 went to offensive tackle Robert Brewster, who played one game and is currently out of the league. Williams played 10 games over a two-year span with the Cowboys before being released. He has spent the last three years as a role player for the Carolina Panthers.
And from there, it didn’t get much better for the Cowboys, who took chances on players such as Stephen McGee, Victor Butler, Buehler and John Phillips – and those are the guys who actually played and contributed. Others such as Brandon Williams, Stephen Hodge, Mike Mickens, DeAngelo Smith and Manuel Johnson barely saw the field, if they did at all.

The lesson learned from the 2009 draft is to stick to the board whenever possible, especially in the early rounds. Even though Hall admits it’s easier said than done when it involves convincing a head coach that value over need is the way to go.

“The coach wants to win now. Stacking up another good running back, when you need linemen or defensive help, in their mind, it’s not going to help,” Hall said. “But if you take ‘A’ players instead of taking ‘B’ players, ultimately you’re going to make your team better. And I think that’s the lesson we learned. It doesn’t matter what you have on your roster, you take a first-round pick if he’s sitting there.”

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jerry Jones has been drafting for the Cowboys since what, 1995? In 2009 he still didn't know to take the BPA over need.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think Elliott is getting majorly overrated. I have no idea what he did to propel himself from a 15-25 type pick to now being talked about in the top 10 but I think those two backs are a lot closer then where they will be drafted. To me Henry runs with even better power and balance. His feet aren't as quick as Elliott and he isn't the receiver Elliott is but in our system, I think they put up similar rushing stats.
What bothers me about Henry is that he has no lateral mobility, no burst, and goes down way too easily for a guy his size. A 240 Lb RB shouldn't drop to the ground Julius Jones style to arm tackles, and Henry does. Elliott isn't an Adrian Peterson type prospect, but he's alwats been a guy who belongs in the 10-15 range based on his ability. He's not some shlub who's being propped up because the draft is weak at RB. It's indeed weak at RB, but I think he's a legit talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's indeed weak at RB, but I think he's a legit talent.
This isn't a weak RB class at all. RBs just don't go in the first regularly anymore. The days of 4 or 5 RBs going in the first roumd are long gone. For some reason Elliott is escaping that normal theory this year. But when he goes to the Eagles and has a Murray type season teams will start to shy from a back in the top 10 again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Some of this is true. I think people, not even Cowboys fans, were imagining Elliott behind the Cowboys OL for a while and just the thought of it elevated his stock.

You have to ask about who (specifically) in this draft can provide the talent level and impact of Elliott. Zeke might be the best RB OSU has ever produced. People also realized that's not something you gloss over.

Henry is big, powerful, and stiff. I think Elliott has shown just as much power but with a fluidity and speed that Henry lacks, and Elliott has demonstrated there is no weakness in his game.

And unlike nearly everyone else in the draft except maybe Bosa, Elliott flat out dominated top competition. Here's where Goff and Wentz fail.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What bothers me about Henry is that he has no lateral mobility, no burst, and goes down way too easily for a guy his size. A 240 Lb RB shouldn't drop to the ground Julius Jones style to arm tackles, and Henry does. Elliott isn't an Adrian Peterson type prospect, but he's alwats been a guy who belongs in the 10-15 range based on his ability. He's not some shlub who's being propped up because the draft is weak at RB. It's indeed weak at RB, but I think he's a legit talent.
I don't agree with any of that about Henry certainly not going down with arm tackles that is just carzy talk.

Julius Jones.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom