Cedric Thornton Signed

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Still, the similarities are pretty obvious. My only question is does this signing make us less likely to draft Buckner since I don't think we would want Buckner as a full-time DE and obviously the plan is to start Crawford/Thornton at DT.

Of course I wouldn't let a mid-tier FA signing have much of an impact on what I want to do at number 4 overall in a draft but if Bosa and Buckner are graded about equally, is the fact that Bosa is more natural at DE the tiebreaker?
I think it'll effect our thinking on Buckner. I always figured if we went defense he'd be our 4th option behind Bosa, Ramsey and Jack. Now I think he's probably out of the equation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Definitely more bang for the buck than 10 mil per year for Snacks Harrison. Getting Buckner to lead the DL would be sweet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it'll effect our thinking on Buckner. I always figured if we went defense he'd be our 4th option behind Bosa, Ramsey and Jack. Now I think he's probably out of the equation.
By your logic Jack is out because we signed Rolando.

So I guess it's Bosa or Ramsey but as soon as we sign a corner that would change.

I honestly don't think our draft plans are that reactionary though.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't know enough about Ramsey and can't stand the thought of Jack.

Bosa is acceptable, but Buckner is built to help this team for a long, long time. Guys like Buckner make everything harder for the offense.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I doubt Buckner is near 4 on our board. Doesn't bring enough pass rush for Maranelli.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If the top 3 are Tunsil, Wentz, Ramsey then I'd say we will be choosing from Bosa, Buckner, Jack. He's definitely going to be near 4 on our board.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I doubt Buckner is near 4 on our board. Doesn't bring enough pass rush for Maranelli.
I think Buckner could be a very good interior pass-rusher and it seems lately that we've loved taking big DE's and kicking them inside as pass-rushers. We wanted to do it with Hardy, Ryan Russell was in that mold, we tried to rush Mincey from the inside and so forth. Heck, our best current interior pass-rusher was starting at DE for about 3 or 4 games to start 2014.

I buy that we like Buckner, he fits whatever height/weight minimum qualifications we may have and I think the plan would be to have him split time between strong side DE and DT in the base defense and then shift inside to DT in nickel/dime.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly just don't trust most sites like that when it comes to supposed "rumors" this time of year. We will know a lot more during predraft visits.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I honestly just don't trust most sites like that when it comes to supposed "rumors" this time of year. We will know a lot more during predraft visits.
I can almost guarantee you that we will bring Bosa and Buckner in for visits so that won't change anything.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can almost guarantee you that we will bring Bosa and Buckner in for visits so that won't change anything.
Maybe although if we don't think Buckner fits our style of defense we won't bring him in at all.

But we may or may not bring in Elliott and Jack for example. Or Ramsey. Or Wentz and Goff.

You can also usually get a feel for the positions we want by the players we bring in. For example if all 3 top QBs get brought in with a couple more you know for sure Dallas wants a QB. Same thing with DT and DE and corner.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'd go so far as to say this is a very smart signing. I'm impressed

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This fast twitch crap so idiotic. Buckner's a big, powerful dude with skills-- planet theory, only so many like that. Don't overthink; just take him if he falls to you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This fast twitch crap so idiotic. Buckner's a big, powerful dude with skills-- planet theory, only so many like that. Don't overthink; just take him if he falls to you.
Falls? Buckner is not a threat to go top 4.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Falls? Buckner is not a threat to go top 4.
He's going to make any defense he's on instantly better, but I guess he's not "fast twitch" or flashy like Ramsey who's suddenly riding a wave of hype.

And I'll never get the Jack hype. So he played RB... who the F cares?

Franchise QB > Buckner == Elliott. Dallas' DL has improved slightly, reducing the immediate need.

Elliott is a home run, period.

I'm not sure Wentz or Goff are franchise players, but if the scouting staff thinks so then Dallas must draft them

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's going to make any defense he's on instantly better, but I guess he's not "fast twitch" or flashy like Ramsey who's suddenly riding a wave of hype.

And I'll never get the Jack hype. So he played RB... who the F cares?

Franchise QB > Buckner == Elliott. Dallas' DL has improved slightly, reducing the immediate need.

Elliott is a home run, period.

I'm not sure Wentz or Goff are franchise players, but if the scouting staff thinks so then Dallas must draft them
Have you been under a rock the last 6 months Ramsey and Tunsil have been the consistent top 2 prospects since the college season ended.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Have you been under a rock the last 6 months Ramsey and Tunsil have been the consistent top 2 prospects since the college season ended.
It's actually turned up a notch. There was an article calling him him a Bo/Herschel type freak, and the latest NFL.com mock has him going 1st overall.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's actually turned up a notch. There was an article calling him him a Bo/Herschel type freak, and the latest NFL.com mock has him going 1st overall.
That is silly season stuff.

Top Bottom