Cowboys Net Four Comp Picks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just announced.

A four and three in the sixth round.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gotta love the 4th. Trade Leary for a 3rd or another 4th and we've got a shot at good depth in 2016.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah the fourth is pretty sweet. I have to imagine it is for Murray. Would have been even better if it was a third but I can't really complain too much. We really needed the extra comp picks since we lost our sixth for that stupid TE last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So now our picks are something like:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
4th
6th
6th
6th
6th

Sure would be nice if we could package some of those sixths to get back in the fifth. Oh well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If we don't take a QB, I'd trade down. Maybe you can go from 4 to 9 for a 2nd and 4th or something. Then:

Then you can really do some damage.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So now our picks are something like:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
4th
6th
6th
6th
6th

Sure would be nice if we could package some of those sixths to get back in the fifth. Oh well.
And next year, when they can be traded, we will have zero.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You know a TE is on deck somewhere. Hopefully just not a 2nd since Escobar is still around.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't hate trading back in the first and picking up a first next year or a second, third or fourth this yerar. If another fourth, package a couple to get back in the third. Trade Leary for a fourth or fifth and build some quality depth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know a TE is on deck somewhere. Hopefully just not a 2nd since Escobar is still around.
We lost a damn sixth last year for a TE. I guess I'd be willing to accept the loss of another sixth. Let's not get crazy with it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We lost a damn sixth last year for a TE. I guess I'd be willing to accept the loss of another sixth. Let's not get crazy with it.
I'm not a fan of trading away picks, but let's stop pretending 6th round picks are precious commodities. The four of them we have right now are a big pile of who gives a fuck. Especially with the Jones' in charge.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of trading away picks, but let's stop pretending 6th round picks are precious commodities.
Trading a future sixth for a late seventh is dumb as shit every day of the week. A 6th isn't precious but a late seventh is exponentially less precious.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not a fan of trading away picks, but let's stop pretending 6th round picks are precious commodities. The four of them we have right now are a big pile of who gives a fuck. Especially with the Jones' in charge.
I firmly believe all draft picks are important.

Just because teams run by dumb people tend to waste them does not sway me.

You see a good chunk of "undraftable" prospects, make teams each and every year.

Dallas in particular has been successful with that.

Not saying that our scouting staff is great, but they are still commodities.

It just needs the right mind directing the process.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

You see a good chunk of "undraftable" prospects, make teams each and every year.

And the more you have the more your odds increase of hitting on a few. Wasn't that basically the Jimmy Johnson philosophy?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

As I said, I'm no fan of losing draft picks.

But the drop off in talent is so great from 4 to 6 that I frankly don't care how many 6ths it takes to get a 4th.

There are years of failures between successes like Harris, each one taking countless hours of development.

You need bodies, but the drop from 6 to UDFA is barely a couple of steps.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
just imagine if we hadn't pissed away picks on Cassel and especially Swaim

Top Bottom