2016 Mock Drafts

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bosa/Henry would be solid at 4/34, although I think we could do better. Cook in the 3rd would be ok too but if we don't get one of the top 3 QB's I'd rather just wait until the 4th at the earliest.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That draft sure would sell a lot of jerseys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That draft sure would sell a lot of jerseys.
This mock is a perfect example of why I think the apparent fear that the organization has of drafting a QB at 4 just because it's billed as "drafting a QB in the top 5" is ridiculous.

Why is this haul any better or riskier than Goff/Henry/Nassib or Goff/Vernon Butler/Alex Collins or Goff/Ogbah/Ken Dixon?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This mock is a perfect example of why I think the apparent fear that the organization has of drafting a QB at 4 just because it's billed as "drafting a QB in the top 5" is ridiculous.

Why is this haul any better or riskier than Goff/Henry/Nassib or Goff/Vernon Butler/Alex Collins or Goff/Ogbah/Ken Dixon?
It's not if we played the averages.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I totally agree with you but at the same time I wouldn't bitch too much if that mock is what actually happens. You get two really good immediate starters and then you get Cook who is an NFL ready QB with all the skills to start in the league. Assuming he isn't an asshole or total jackass.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I totally agree with you but at the same time I wouldn't bitch too much if that mock is what actually happens. You get two really good immediate starters and then you get Cook who is an NFL ready QB with all the skills to start in the league. Assuming he isn't an asshole or total jackass.
I wouldn't say he has all the skills to start. He looks the part, can move a little bit and has a big arm but I really worry about his accuracy and pocket awareness, which are two of the most important skills for a QB to have.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say he has all the skills to start. He looks the part, can move a little bit and has a big arm but I really worry about his accuracy and pocket awareness, which are two of the most important skills for a QB to have.
His accuracy is solid but not great. He has really good anticipation and timing on his throws though. His pocket awareness isn't bad either. My concern with Cook like most QBs is his ability to go through reads and actually find the open guy. Too often with him it looked like he had predetermined where he was throwing the ball before it was ever snapped. Cook doesn't have the massive arm to get away with that type of stuff.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd still prefer Wentz or Goff...but wouldn't really be opposed to Cook or Hackenberg in the 3rd. I just don't want either of them in the 2nd or guys like Dak/Cardale/etc in the 3rd. But if somehow Cook/Hackenberg fell to the 3rd it'd be quality value and likely worth the chance.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Walter Camp Mock 3/30/16

1. Joey Bosa - DE - Ohio St
2. Eli Apple - CB - Ohio St
3. Javon Hargrave - DT - SC St
4a. Tyler Ervin - RB - San Jose St
4b. Tyvis Powell - S - Ohio St

Lots of Buckeyes. What's interesting is they have Cook and Hackenberg going in the 3rd after our pick, also Von Bell and Karl Joseph. Also have Nassib in the 4th. I think I'd rather have Joseph in the 3rd and Nassib in the 4th.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Powell would be a really solid 4th rounder. The rest is ok, not great, but acceptable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Walter Camp Mock 3/30/16

1. Joey Bosa - DE - Ohio St
2. Eli Apple - CB - Ohio St
3. Javon Hargrave - DT - SC St
4a. Tyler Ervin - RB - San Jose St
4b. Tyvis Powell - S - Ohio St

Lots of Buckeyes. What's interesting is they have Cook and Hackenberg going in the 3rd after our pick, also Von Bell and Karl Joseph. Also have Nassib in the 4th. I think I'd rather have Joseph in the 3rd and Nassib in the 4th.
That draft would put me to sleep.

D

Deuce

I would flat out yank it to this start to the draft. Cook is a douche but he's still legit and the best QB prospect we've drafted since Aikman.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'd still prefer Wentz or Goff...but wouldn't really be opposed to Cook or Hackenberg in the 3rd. I just don't want either of them in the 2nd or guys like Dak/Cardale/etc in the 3rd. But if somehow Cook/Hackenberg fell to the 3rd it'd be quality value and likely worth the chance.
I really see no reason to settle for a project at the QB spot. If the organization takes that path it's just the worst decision they could make. A settle for a project player mentality is a continual noose around the team's ability to break the ongoing groundhog day seasons.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I really see no reason to settle for a project at the QB spot. If the organization takes that path it's just the worst decision they could make. A settle for a project player mentality is a continual noose around the team's ability to break the ongoing groundhog day seasons.
Wentz is a project as well, so is that settling?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd definitely prefer Wentz or Goff. If we pass on them and don't have Lynch drop to us in the 2nd or move up for him, I then wouldn't care if we passed on QB completely this year. But we do also need a backup and instead of continually signing/trading for scrubs I wouldn't be opposed to taking a chance one at the right spot. I do think there's enough potential in Cook or Hackenberg to take if they dropped to the 4th and maybe even consider one in the 3rd, but that would depend on who else was on the still on the board at the time. I also don't see a problem taking a chance on someone like Dak or even Cardale, etc. on day 3. The upside is not as high but if there's enough potential we could end up with a quality backup.

I think all of these are better prospects than Stephen McGee who we took in the 4th and is the only QB we've drafted since QC. One thing we've failed to do over most of the last 20+ years is draft a QB every few years. I don't want to reach for someone but if the value is right at the right spot I'd be fine with it. Definitely can't be worse than the Matt Johnson's, AOA's, Arkins we tend to take at the point most years.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The more I think about it, the more I come back to the question, "Does it really matter?" As long as RJ is here and Jerry is the Gm, they'll find a way to F it up. I'm so tired of this group.

That being said, draft a QB with 4 or GTFO Jerry. :towel

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Hard to see Henry falling that far, but it could happen.

Top Bottom