Cowboys UDFA Signing Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The quality of the UDFA classes the last few years have been quite poor. I don't know what has changed, you could usually count on a couple of them making the team.
The team is more talented, makes it harder for scrubs to catch on...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Ten years ago, the bottom 1/3 of our roster was complete shit. A lot easier for UDFA to find a spot.

Where would you see one making it? I could maybe see an OL taking the 10th spot. Or possibly a WR or LB. Safety maybe? Squeezing out somebody like Kavon Frazier?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I'm still slightly surprises that Jerod Evans hasn't been signed anywhere yet.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

:sad

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
6' 10" 320 lbs. Blocked 7 kicks in college.

I wonder if he can play tackle?
Most penalized OL in the SEC last year. Granted that was playing LT after being a RT the previous year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From Nolan Nawrocki's Draft Guide:

ORT DAN SKIPPER, #70 (Sr-4) ARKANSAS GRADE: 4.97 Ht: 6-9 5/8 | Wt: 309 | 40: 5.43 | Arm: 33 3/8 | Hand: 10 1/2

History: Engaged to be married (Mackenzie) on March 25. Prepped in Colorado, where he blocked in a wing-T offense. As a true freshman in 2013, played all 12 games, starting the final eight at guard. Added a school-record three blocked field goal attempts. Started all 13 games at left tackle in ’14. Unhappy with Skipper’s overaggressive play and costly penalties early in the season, season, head coach Bret Bielema worried Skipper would be a “marked man” in the eyes of officials. Consequently, he suggested Skipper change his jersey number from 76 to 63, signifying a “rebirth.” Eventually changed again to No. 70. Started all 13 games at right tackle in ’15, grading out at 83 percent. Back at left tackle in ’16, started all 13 games, including a career-best effort against Mississippi State (97 percent grade). Notched seven career blocked field goals. Team captain has a biology degree. Opted not to perform the bench-press test at the Combine.

Strengths: Rare height. Is tough, smart and competitive. Plays aggressively with very good effort and goes hard to the whistle. Played in a pro-style offense. Three-year starter on both edges in the Southeastern Conference.

Weaknesses: Has very short arms that combined with long frame create natural leverage issues. Very stiff and upright with limited knee bend. Plays narrow-based and labors to cut off edge speed. Lumbers in space and struggles to adjust to moving targets. Too grabby — flagged for 12 penalties in 2016. Tended to wear down as the season went on.

Future: Very lean, long-limbed, tight-hipped right tackle only lacking ideal length and bulk to earn a starter job. Will need to prove he could become a serviceable backup on both sides to fend for a roster spot. Greatest value could be his length to block kicks on special teams.

Draft projection: Late draftable pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe, but I don't see the talent as significantly better.

Going back four-five years ago (before McClay got promoted and Ciskowski got demoted) it seemed that the scouting staff worked harder to get their guys recruited and signed after the draft.

At the time, there was a lot of friction between the scouting side and the coaching side and often the scouts wanted to hold up their grades and prove they got it right, especially when the coaches got their guys drafted over who the scouts worked for. That was a big deal with Ciskowski and probably a reason he got drummed down. They would also be charged to work the phones to get "their guys" and were motivated to get every player on our draft board that didn't get picked in camp. We also paid top dollar.

The drafting portion seems to have improved under McClay, but it certainly seems different now with the UDFA groups.

This is the third year in a row that it has been pretty lackluster and the results show it. We have also been outbid for the services of a few players the last couple years, like Thomas Rawls and also Ethan Westbrooks of the Rams. The raw numbers are also down, back in 2012 which got us Leary, Beasley and Dunbar we brought in 21 players. The numbers have declined each year, now we might be only bringing in 12-15 players.

dallen

Senior Tech
Skipper was a really good RT as a Junior and a great ST player for Arkansas. He had a down Senior year after switching sides. People were pretty surprised at how bad he was since he had played there pretty well as a Sophomore. He was a pretty highly regarded prospect going into the season. He's much better in the running game than the passing game, but I could see him being a decent a swing tackle for us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

White boy overload.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Skipper was a really good RT as a Junior and a great ST player for Arkansas. He had a down Senior year after switching sides. People were pretty surprised at how bad he was since he had played there pretty well as a Sophomore. He was a pretty highly regarded prospect going into the season. He's much better in the running game than the passing game, but I could see him being a decent a swing tackle for us.
Can he actually stay healthy? If so, he's already better than Green.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

White boy overload.

At this rate, it won't be long before the NFLPA sics the NAACP on the Jones family.

dallen

Senior Tech
Can he actually stay healthy? If so, he's already better than Green.
He made 47 straight starts, and as far as I remember never got injured in college, so :towel

Top Bottom