HEIGHT

31 5/8"
ARM LENGTH

188LBS.
WEIGHT

9 1/4"
HANDS

OVERVIEW
Lewis' senior season didn't start off the way he would have preferred, as he missed the first three games of the year due to injury. His play over the ten games in which he played, however, earned him first-team All-American notice from multiple outlets. Lewis was also a Jim Thorpe Award finalist and the Big Ten Conference Defensive Back of the Year (25 tackles, 3.5 for loss, two interceptions, nine pass breakups). He was a 13-game starter as a junior, making 52 tackles, 3.5 for loss, two interceptions, and 20 breakups, which ranked third in the FBS. Lewis averaged 25.2 yards on kick returns in 2015, as well. He earned a starting corner job three games into his sophomore year (39 tackles, 1.5 TFL, two INT, six PBU), and contributed as a true freshman in 2012 (17 tackles, two PBU).

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Ultra-competitive with an overwhelming drive to succeed. Allowed just seven catches in 2016 for completion percentage against of 23.3. An annoyance from press coverage. Squats on top of his target waiting to punch and impede. Twitchy feet can stick and close to ball instantly when he reads pass. Able to flip hips and accelerate quickly. Has lateral quickness and agility to flourish from the slot. Has adequate recovery speed to make up for an early mistake. Finds ball with back to quarterback as well as anyone in college. Maintains tight coverage downfield and waits for receiver's eyes to cue him in on when to turn and find it. In three years as a starter, credited with 42 passes defensed, including six interceptions. Allowed just two touchdowns during same time frame. Showed off ball skills and athleticism with highlight reel, one-handed interception against Wisconsin. Has special teams experience as a gunner and in return game.

WEAKNESSES Diminutive frame. Limited in coverage options due to matchup concerns against elite NFL size. Has to work overtime to disengage from physical wideouts in run support. Tape shows small delay in reaction when attempting to mirror an inside release. Tendency to grab if beaten early off the line. Penalized 14 times over career with eight pass interferences. Will allow his man a head start past him when he starts reckless eyeballing the quarterback from off coverage. Might lack necessary spring to win 50-50 balls at the high point.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7

SOURCES TELL US "If he were bigger he would go in the first round. Love everything about the way he plays. He's cocky and tough and doesn't take any (expletive) from anyone. And sub-package teams will love him because he won't kill you against the run." -- Director of scouting for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON Adam Jones

BOTTOM LINE Technician with the foot quickness and overall athleticism to handle himself from the slot. Shouldn't be much of a detriment against the run for teams who want to attack on the ground from 11 personnel. Excels from press and plays with confidence and edge. Lack of size will scare some teams and could cause him to fall out of the first round, but he has the ability to become a very good slot corner for a man-cover team. His draft projection is based on a pending legal issue.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@HelmanDC

FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys found themselves a valued cornerback on Friday night – but a cornerback that comes with immediate questions about off-field concerns.
Michigan standout Jourdan Lewis was the 92nd overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, giving the Cowboys a second-straight cornerback to help revamp their secondary with. That’s all well and good on the football front, but the questions arise from an alleged domestic incident back in March.
Lewis is facing a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence stemming from a March 15 incident with his girlfriend. He is scheduled for a 15th District Court jury trial, set to begin July 24.
In the minutes after selecting Lewis, Cowboys officials were questioned about the incident. Team owner/general manager Jerry Jones said it was an issue the Cowboys did enough work on to feel comfortable drafting him.

“We had thoroughly looked at his situation. We had done that much earlier,” Jones said. “One of his particular, greatest attributes and assets was his outstanding off-the-field character throughout his life. On top of that, he has great football character, as well. So we were satisfied that we’d be OK there.”
Lewis, who was named the Big Ten Conference Defensive Back of the Year in 2016, was even more adamant when asked about his legal issues.
“Like I told everybody else, I completely think that all charges will be dropped and I think I will be exonerated from everything,” he said. “I’m completely innocent. I believe that wholeheartedly. And I’m just going to have to see what happens in my next trial date.”
It’s interesting to note that the July 24 trial date is scheduled after the Cowboys have already begun training camp. But when he was asked if he thought the trial would interfere with his availability for camp, Lewis insisted it would not.
“I don’t think it will at all. I think it’ll be squashed, right then and there – that first trial date,” he said. “I’m just looking forward to getting into training camp.”
That confidence was a unifying theme on a night where the Cowboys potentially added two big pieces to their defense. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, asked about his comfort level with the pick, echoed the sentiments of both Jones and his newest player – justifying all the confidence necessary to add Lewis to the roster.
“Our guys did a tremendous job researching this situation and doing their due diligence. What came from it was that we feel really strongly about this player, not only as a player, but as a person,” Garrett said. “Greg Jackson, our secondary coach, was on the staff at Michigan, and he knows him well. We know the coaches up their well. All the due diligence we did made us feel very comfortable in this situation.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7

SOURCES TELL US "If he were bigger he would go in the first round.
Thats a wide range....

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Thats a wide range....
:lol

I was thinking that, too. I think the projection of 6-7 had more to do with his legal stuff. NFL.com really drops their round projection for guys with that stuff.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Carp

DCC 4Life
I love this pick...yeah be is 5'10", but you can't just take a CB based on height. Can he cover? Yes. I can't find fault with any of our picks...mayne Tankersley over Lewis, but not a deal breaker for me here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

I was thinking that, too. I think the projection of 6-7 had more to do with his legal stuff. NFL.com really drops their round projection for guys with that stuff.
Yeah reminds me of their reports that Conley wouldn't get draft until the fifth round at the earliest. :lol

The NFL pretends to care about that stuff but in reality, Mixon goes second round, Lewis third round and Conley first. So yeah, they don't really care that much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love this pick...yeah be is 5'10", but you can't just take a CB based on height. Can he cover? Yes. I can't find fault with any of our picks...mayne Tankersley over Lewis, but not a deal breaker for me here.
He looks like he has long arms to sort of make up for the lack of height. Regardless I think one or two inches of height gets pretty overrated when talking about corners.

My guess on why we liked him over Tankersley had to do with tackling ability. Marinelli puts a pretty high emphasis on his corners tackling. My understanding is Tankersley isn't very interested in that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah reminds me of their reports that Conley wouldn't get draft until the fifth round at the earliest. :lol

The NFL pretends to care about that stuff but in reality, Mixon goes second round, Lewis third round and Conley first. So yeah, they don't really care that much.
Pretty much. NFL.com tries to look good by projecting them later in their write ups. But if you look closely, they never change the ranking number they put on them.

Look no further than Caleb Brantley for what I'm talking about. In their write up, they say he's a 6-7th rounder.. But he's still a 6.1 in their grade. 6 and above are pro bowl caliber players. How of those type of players do you usually see projected that late in the draft?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look no further than Caleb Brantley for what I'm talking about. In their write up, they say he's a 6-7th rounder.. But he's still a 6.1 in their grade. 6 and above are pro bowl caliber players. How of those type of players do you usually see projected that late in the draft?
Especially when the 6.1 DT is projected in the sixth-seventh but the 5.6 DT is projected in the 3rd-4th.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He looks like he has long arms to sort of make up for the lack of height. Regardless I think one or two inches of height gets pretty overrated when talking about corners.

My guess on why we liked him over Tankersley had to do with tackling ability. Marinelli puts a pretty high emphasis on his corners tackling. My understanding is Tankersley isn't very interested in that.
Both of these corners are aggressive tacklers. They got who they should have considering what they wanted, regardless of height and numbers. They got two corners who are football players, not track athletes. Very impressive.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Both of these corners are aggressive tacklers. They got who they should have considering what they wanted, regardless of height and numbers. They got two corners who are football players, not track athletes. Very impressive.
One of these dudes moves to safety if Orlando stays I bet.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Pretty much. NFL.com tries to look good by projecting them later in their write ups. But if you look closely, they never change the ranking number they put on them.

Mayock kind of copped out on this stuff as well. Yesterday they were talking about the BPA for round 2 they showed Mayock's list of BPA on the screen and Mixon wasn't on there.

He then says, "if you'll notice Mixon isn't on my list even though I think he's a top 15 talent.....but I don't have him on my board at all."

It came off as a weak cop out. If your job is to analyze where you think a player ranks and where he'll be drafted, you can't just completely remove a guy from the board. Especially when everyone knew the guy would likely be drafted in round 2 or 3.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Mayock kind of copped out on this stuff as well. Yesterday they were talking about the BPA for round 2 they showed Mayock's list of BPA on the screen and Mixon wasn't on there.

He then says, "if you'll notice Mixon isn't on my list even though I think he's a top 15 talent.....but I don't have him on my board at all."

It came off as a weak cop out. If your job is to analyze where you think a player ranks and where he'll be drafted, you can't just completely remove a guy from the board. Especially when everyone knew the guy would likely be drafted in round 2 or 3.
Oh ffs way to virtue signal Mayock. I don't remember, was Mayock one of the ones that refused to say Redskins too when that was the outrage du jour?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Oh ffs way to virtue signal Mayock. I don't remember, was Mayock one of the ones that refused to say Redskins too when that was the outrage du jour?
I can't remember. I remember Peter King stopped saying it that year. I wonder if he's slipped up since then and started printing and saying it again.

townsend

Banned
One of these dudes moves to safety if Orlando stays I bet.
I can't imagine us getting rid of Scandrick after losing Carr, Claiborne, Church, and Wilcox. I don't think it's wise to have a defensive backfield where Heath and Jones are your longest tenured players.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I thought these players couldn't be punished for things that happened before they got to to the NFL?

I mean, if that is the case, how far back could the fuckin NFL go?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Mayock went totally gay and braindead in this draft. He had no idea who was going where, it was like he was without whatever it was that made him comfortable before.

Besides the awful coverage NFLN did, he was a big reason why I hit the mute button earlier today and just listened to others. Brugler was ten times more insightful than he could ever be.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Mayock went totally gay and braindead in this draft. He had no idea who was going where, it was like he was without whatever it was that made him comfortable before.

Besides the awful coverage NFLN did, he was a big reason why I hit the mute button earlier today and just listened to others. Brugler was ten times more insightful than he could ever be.
The ESPN coverage wasn't much better either. It was a good 30-45 minutes for them to play catch up to earlier draft picks.

Top Bottom