1st Round Pick #28 Taco Charlton

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This dude can bend the edge, and has great pursuit. Very good in the run game, and decent first step.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
This is probably the best highlight video. Mainly because there is no music and is a compilation of all of his sacks.

dallen

Senior Tech
Grading Day 1 of the Cowboys' draft: Why Taco falls short of an 'A'

The Cowboys drafted for need with the selection of Michigan defensive end Taco Charlton in Thursday's first round. But did they get the right player? Here is a quick assessment of the Cowboys' first day from SportsDay's beat writers:

David Moore
Day 1 Grade: Incomplete
A cop-out? Not at all.
The Cowboys didn't have a first-round grade on Michigan's Taco Charlton. So why take him over Washington cornerback Kevin King? Because club officials are convinced they can get a quality corner at the end of the second round Friday night. They would not have been able to get a quality edge rusher if they had let No. 28 slide by without taking Charlton.
If the Cowboys don't get a quality corner at the end of the second round, their strategy didn't work. They should have taken King in the first and gone from there. That would lower the grade to a C.
But if a quality corner is on the clock when the Cowboys pick, this grade gets better. Let's say a B.

Brandon George
Day 1 Grade: B
The Cowboys drafted a player whom they didn't have a first-round grade on in Michigan defensive end Taco Charlton. The club felt better about drafting an elite cornerback in the second round over finding an elite pass-rusher. Question remains if Charlton is elite. He has plus-length but sub-par speed and is only a one-year starter. The Cowboys made the right decision to go pass-rusher in first round -- that was badly needed -- but will Charlton become a force at right-side defensive end?

Jon Machota
Day 1 Grade: B-
The Cowboys got a solid prospect at a major position of need. Charlton should start Day 1 and immediately improve their pass rush. He's probably not the "war daddy" that Jerry Jones was looking for, but those were long gone by the time Dallas went on the clock. If the Cowboys would've drafted a cornerback at 28 it's unlikely the pass rushers left at No. 60 would be anywhere near as good as Charlton. T.J. Watt was still available at 28. The Cowboys see him as more of an outside linebacker. Some experts would argue he'll be a more productive player than Charlton. Washington cornerback Kevin King was also still there. A depleted secondary could sure use a play-making defensive back who stands 6-3. But the Cowboys believe they can still get a very good corner at 60. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Kate Hairopoulos
Day 1 Grade: B-
The Cowboys skipped right over their best-player-available mantra because they decided it was first round or bust in getting a pass rusher who can make a difference now. But is Taco Charlton ready to do just that? He started only one year at Michigan and consistency is a question mark. But he did register 13 sacks for loss and 9.5 sacks in 2016 and has the impressive measurements that show promise at right end, including those 34-inch arms. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli and line coach Leon Lett will be excited to start developing Charlton, but they'll need to bring him along quickly.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/04/28/grading-day-1-cowboys-draft-taco-falls-short

dallen

Senior Tech
David Moore is an idiot

Cotton

Staff member
David Moore is an idiot
Yes, he is. He admits we would not get a quality edge rusher if we let Taco go, and then chastises them for not letting him slip away. :crazy

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd give it a strong B+, maybe even A- if I'm in a good mood, not the most ideal of ideal picks but very strong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone who wanted King over Taco, please raise your hands?

Taco is the better player. Plain and simple in my mind.

Who gives a shit about grades though. Last year remember us getting C grades. Now that is pretty funny in hindsight. I love Taco. More than Takk even. Personally he was right there with Harris for me. I flopped back and forth on them but it was fairly close.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd give it a strong B+, maybe even A- if I'm in a good mood, not the most ideal of ideal picks but very strong.
Yeah, A- is about where I land.

Cotton

Staff member
Anyone who wanted King over Taco, please raise your hands?

Taco is the better player. Plain and simple in my mind.

Who gives a shit about grades though. Last year remember us getting C grades. Now that is pretty funny in hindsight. I love Taco. More than Takk even. Personally he was right there with Harris for me. I flopped back and forth on them but it was fairly close.
Not me. At that point with what was still on the board it was between Taco and Watt. And, to me, it was a coin flip on who I wanted more. King wasn't even in consideration.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not me. At that point with what was still on the board it was between Taco and Watt. And, to me, it was a coin flip on who I wanted more. King wasn't even in consideration.
Me too and I would have been thrilled with either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I give Dallas an A for their pick for the very reason others are grading them down. They picked the best player available for the greatest need of the club. They could have taken a BPA and gotten a higher grade by the pundits but how do you quantify the contribution to the team if the position was one that was already filled with quality personnel. One example would be joe Mixon He was high on the BPA board but what would have been the effect to the team to have him on it and not fill the defensive positions.

Cotton

Staff member

:unsure

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Pretty much.

Plenty of good DBs left in this draft, not many DEs who have a chance to have impact.

Even if we don't end up with a 2nd round DB, it was still the right choice to make.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I give Dallas an A for their pick for the very reason others are grading them down. They picked the best player available for the greatest need of the club. They could have taken a BPA and gotten a higher grade by the pundits but how do you quantify the contribution to the team if the position was one that was already filled with quality personnel. One example would be joe Mixon He was high on the BPA board but what would have been the effect to the team to have him on it and not fill the defensive positions.
http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?6645-2017-Draft-Weekend-Chatter-Thread&p=351585&viewfull=1#post351585

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much.

Plenty of good DBs left in this draft, not many DEs who have a chance to have impact.

Even if we don't end up with a 2nd round DB, it was still the right choice to make.
Yeah my list of DBs for pick 60 is pretty long. My list of pass rusher for that pick would be about 3 guys left. Bowser, Rivers and Basham.

townsend

Banned
Our safeties coach (and easily one of our best additions from 2016) was a Michigan guy, I wonder if his opinion on Taco played a role on our decision to draft him.

Top Bottom