Sturm's take on Romo's health...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I remember Emmitt's collarbone was no longer attached to his shoulder after he injured it in NY in the 1993 season finale and he had surgery to correct it in the offseason.

That's gotta be what they're referring to, right, despite the "late-90's" mention?
Well the good news is once Emmitts collar bone and shoulder was fixed it didn't give him any more problems. Maybe Romo will have the same good luck.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just this morning it was the plate.

It's insane.
And, now it's back to the plate... What in the serious hell is going on?

Report: Tony Romo makes surgery decision, will insert plate
Jeffrey Kahn - 6 hours ago 0
Newsletter

Tony Romo has reportedly made a final surgery decision.

After reviewing the results of his latest CT scan to determine the type of procedure needed to be done to his previously injured shoulder, the Dallas Cowboys quarterback has decided to insert a plate into his left collarbone, according to NBC DFW's Newy Scruggs. Romo's surgery is now set for next week around the time NFL free agency begins.

Over the course of February, Romo had been contemplating two types of shoulder procedures. He considered having the Mumford procedure done in order to reduce pain and discomfort in his shoulder, but ultimately the quarterback elected on surgically inserting a plate into his collarbone to strengthen the area.

Romo has fractured his collarbone three times in his NFL career. No. 9 is hoping that his experience with injury will help him on the road to recovery.

"The thing you realize when you get a little bit older is you know what it takes, you know your body, you know the routine," Romo said in early February. "So, it kind of goes a little bit smoother mentally than other people might think. I feel like for me it's just about continuing to train and get stronger as the years go on. And, little stuff's going to happen. The collarbone, no one was expecting that. Obviously it didn't help our season and my job is to come back and be healthy and strong and go play at my best."

Romo has been highly successful in the two seasons coming of major injury. After the first collarbone break in 2010, Romo went on to throw for 4,184 yards and 31 touchdowns to 10 interceptions in 2011. And in 2014 coming off back surgery, Romo had arguably his best season of his career as he threw for 3,705 and 34 touchdowns to nine interceptions.

With the insertion of the plate, Romo is expected to be out for the next 6-8 weeks. With that on his mind one month ago before the final surgery decision, Romo told reporters he would be "ready to rock" for OTAs in May/June. Romo missed 10 games in 2015 after the two fractured clavicles. The 35-year old quarterback expects to play for four more years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Romo's done. Third snap of the collarbone was the charm. Let's move on
and find his replacement, regardless of how soon he has to step in during
this coming 2016 season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well the good news is once Emmitts collar bone and shoulder was fixed it didn't give him any more problems. Maybe Romo will have the same good luck.
I think we're multiple breaks from being fixed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think we're multiple breaks from being fixed.
Can always hope. I have had Doctors tell me that a break if knitted properly is stronger than the bone. Maybe this time it can do better but it is still a high odds situation.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And, now it's back to the plate... What in the serious hell is going on?
ESPN and CNNSI are both reporting it is the Mumford procedure in the last few hours. I don't know where that article came from.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN and CNNSI are both reporting it is the Mumford procedure in the last few hours. I don't know where that article came from.
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone else reporting that it's the plate now except that one article. Must be BS.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Heard on 105.3 the other day that supposedly one of the deciding factors in going with the Mumford procedure is the area isn't healed enough yet to go with the plate. Romo would have had to wait a few weeks to be able to do the plate and it would put the recovery time past being ready for training camp

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Heard on 105.3 the other day that supposedly one of the deciding factors in going with the Mumford procedure is the area isn't healed enough yet to go with the plate. Romo would have had to wait a few weeks to be able to do the plate and it would put the recovery time past being ready for training camp
I would be tempted to go with Gorilla glue myself.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Romo's done. Third snap of the collarbone was the charm. Let's move on
and find his replacement, regardless of how soon he has to step in during
this coming 2016 season.
When Romo breaks his colarbone again its not like the backup will carry us to a superbowl. I'd rather start developing a potential franchise QB who can.

Top Bottom