Cowboys Free Agent Watch Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is a good thing. He won't get top dollar and he did play well enough.

Dallas' problems are up front and at safety.

Have been for a long, long time.
I don't think he played well enough, which is the point.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't think he played well enough, which is the point.
Depends on what kind of contract we are talking about. I think he did play well enough for some kind of offer. Just hope they dont go crazy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on what kind of contract we are talking about. I think he did play well enough for some kind of offer. Just hope they dont go crazy.
I was just as comfortable with Claiborne as I was with Carr last year. Claiborne has a real tendency to get hurt though. So no way in hell I'm giving him any real money. Hell, I don't really want Carr getting real money either.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Exactly. No way Claiborne gets a big contract anywhere he goes, so may as well stay.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys free-agent watch: Rolando McClain seems to like fit in Dallas
Feb 27, 2016
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys have 16 players set to become unrestricted free agents in March. In this series, we determine why a player should or should not return in 2016 and beyond.

Rolando McClain

Position: Linebacker

NFL experience: Five years

2015 salary: $750,000

2015 statistics: After missing the first four games of the season due to a suspension, McClain started the 11 games he played and finished with 97 tackles, according to the coaches’ breakdown, to go along with two sacks, nine tackles for loss, 10 pressures, an interception and three pass deflections.

Why he will be back: Speaking at the scouting combine, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys want him back. That’s a big step. Jones said McClain was more reliable in 2015 than in 2014 when he led the team in tackles. The Cowboys have a need at middle linebacker and would like to fill as many holes in free agency to help narrow their draft needs. McClain has spoken highly of linebacker coach Matt Eberflus and seems to like the atmosphere around the team after struggling with that with the Oakland Raiders. The price should not be too high considering McClain is another failed test away from a longer suspension.

Why he will not be back
: There is a chance McClain could be removed from the drug program, which could open up the bidding to more teams. He is a young player, turning just 27 in July. With all of the Cowboys' free agents, the determination will be cost. While McClain has seemingly fit into the Cowboys’ structure, there are times where he gets off track that can be frustrating to the coaches and staff. The Cowboys could look to the draft to replace McClain if he does sign elsewhere, with UCLA's Myles Jack being the highest-rated prospect.

Chance to return: Moderate to high. When Jones says the Cowboys want him back, then there is a good chance it will happen. Considering the success McClain has had in two seasons with the Cowboys, he could be in a position where he does not want to mess with what has been a good thing.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Cowboys free-agent watch: Rolando McClain seems to like fit in Dallas
Feb 27, 2016
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys have 16 players set to become unrestricted free agents in March. In this series, we determine why a player should or should not return in 2016 and beyond.

Rolando McClain

Position: Linebacker

NFL experience: Five years

2015 salary: $750,000

2015 statistics: After missing the first four games of the season due to a suspension, McClain started the 11 games he played and finished with 97 tackles, according to the coaches’ breakdown, to go along with two sacks, nine tackles for loss, 10 pressures, an interception and three pass deflections.

Why he will be back: Speaking at the scouting combine, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys want him back. That’s a big step. Jones said McClain was more reliable in 2015 than in 2014 when he led the team in tackles. The Cowboys have a need at middle linebacker and would like to fill as many holes in free agency to help narrow their draft needs. McClain has spoken highly of linebacker coach Matt Eberflus and seems to like the atmosphere around the team after struggling with that with the Oakland Raiders. The price should not be too high considering McClain is another failed test away from a longer suspension.

Why he will not be back
: There is a chance McClain could be removed from the drug program, which could open up the bidding to more teams. He is a young player, turning just 27 in July. With all of the Cowboys' free agents, the determination will be cost. While McClain has seemingly fit into the Cowboys’ structure, there are times where he gets off track that can be frustrating to the coaches and staff. The Cowboys could look to the draft to replace McClain if he does sign elsewhere, with UCLA's Myles Jack being the highest-rated prospect.

Chance to return: Moderate to high. When Jones says the Cowboys want him back, then there is a good chance it will happen. Considering the success McClain has had in two seasons with the Cowboys, he could be in a position where he does not want to mess with what has been a good thing.
Somehow I can see Jerry bidding against himself for McClain.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jones said McClain was more reliable in 2015 than in 2014

Yep, so reliable he was suspended for the first four games. It is that special kind of trustworthiness.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep, so reliable he was suspended for the first four games. It is that special kind of trustworthiness.
Hey, he wasn't suspended for the whole year...

:jerry

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Heard on the radio that Pacman was in town hanging around with goofson today.

townsend

Banned
Gregory gets suspended, then we start talking to Pac-Man. Jerry might get Jason to shoot himself.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
They also said based on some measure he was the 16th best corner in the league last year. The only thing that drew attention to him negatively was the boneheaded thing in the playoff game. I could see cutting Carr, saving 11 mil and signing Jones to s 1 or 2 year deal.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just extend Carr and spread the cost over several seasons. He doesn't suck, he's just not worth what they already paid him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just extend Carr and spread the cost over several seasons. He doesn't suck, he's just not worth what they already paid him.
What did he do to make you feel like he didn't suck? 0 ints. His 6 passes defensed? Pro football focus rankings has him as like the 55th best corner last year.

I'd say those numbers suck.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What did he do to make you feel like he didn't suck? 0 ints. His 6 passes defensed? Pro football focus rankings has him as like the 55th best corner last year.

I'd say those numbers suck.
I can take him or leave him. Just don't like getting rid of value before signing someone better. Had we cut Doug Free like everyone wanted to years ago, I think we'd have seriously regretted it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can take him or leave him. Just don't like getting rid of value before signing someone better. Had we cut Doug Free like everyone wanted to years ago, I think we'd have seriously regretted it.
I don't like paying a guy who is a bad starter top 5 corner money. I don't really like paying a bad starter at all.

Top Bottom