Archer: AFC assistant: Cowboys would be wise to draft a QB early

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And another thing, in my opinion we should not be grading these guys the same as a team like Cleveland.

We shouldn't be asking if a prospect is a potential franchise guy right now, but is there enough there for them to be a franchise guy if they sit and improve behind Romo for 2 years?

I don't think Wentz or Goff are "franchise" guys in the sense that they can step right in and turn around your team from day 1, but I think they are 100% franchise guys if afforded the time to learn for a few years behind a QB like Romo.

townsend

Banned
Franchise QB drafting seems to make a lot of sense. There's really no way we're a SB calibur team next year. There are so many holes to fill. We need two cornerbacks and only have one good safety, huge holes at linebacker, we need a new starting RB, we need a nose tackle and a defensive end. We're thin at wide receiver, and have nothing at backup QB. We need to assume the window's shut. Maybe we can have another miracle like 2014, but I sincerely doubt it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Franchise QB drafting seems to make a lot of sense. There's really no way we're a SB calibur team next year. There are so many holes to fill. We need two cornerbacks and only have one good safety, huge holes at linebacker, we need a new starting RB, we need a nose tackle and a defensive end. We're thin at wide receiver, and have nothing at backup QB. We need to assume the window's shut. Maybe we can have another miracle like 2014, but I sincerely doubt it.
2014 wasn't a miracle, Romo just stayed healthy and we committed to the run. We were 3-1 with him last season, although we clearly looked underwhelming against the Giants, but that was one game. If he stayed healthy, even without Dez and with our other deficiencies I think we would've went at least 10-6 and won the division.

If we upgrade at RB, fill in a few defensive spots with average role-player types and Romo stays healthy I think we easily win 10-11 games and the division, and from there, who knows?

We don't need to add 5 Pro Bowlers on defense. Sign a couple of mid-tier free agents, have a decent draft and the defense will be more than fine behind an offense with a healthy Romo, Dez and upgraded RB. I honestly believe our OL is just that good.

Now, is it likely that our front office is smart enough to make moves like this?

Doubtful but that doesn't mean it'd take a "miracle" for us to compete for the NFC, all it'd take is health and a couple of savvy, yet ultimately inexpensive FA signings. Aside from an HC better than Garret of course.

I made a long post about this a few months ago but coming into the season who thought Carolina would be any good?

On paper their WR's sucked, their OL was mostly shit, their secondary was average, they had no threatening edge rushers aside from Charles Johnson and they had an injury prone 29 year old RB.

Yet they had a coaching staff that played to their strengths and mitigated their weaknesses, is our staff capable of that?

Probably not, but don't tell me on paper that our roster isn't good enough to compete in the NFC when it clearly is/should be with a couple of mid-tier FA signings.

dallen

Senior Tech
We also very likely won't have the benefit of the 4th overall pick next year. Which means we either mortgage our draft for a QB or we put it off yet another year, or we take a second tier QB.
Once Romo goes down I am pretty sure we will have plenty of opportunities to draft at the top of the draft if they continue ignoring QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once Romo goes down I am pretty sure we will have plenty of opportunities to draft at the top of the draft if they continue ignoring QB.
Yeah but its so easy to limp to 5 or 6 wins and then miss out. Or have to sell the farm like the Skins did for Griffin. Or lets say the year you do have a top 3 pick there are no top QBs. Or there is only one. Then you have to wait another year.

Instead of being a total shit team for a few years, why not take the guy now. And have him ready in a couple years.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah but its so easy to limp to 5 or wins and then miss out. Or have to sell the farm like the Skins did for Griffin. Or lets say the year you do have a top 3 pick there are no top QBs. Or there is only one. Then you have to wait another year.

Instead of being a total shit team for a few years, why not take the guy now. And have him ready in a couple years.
It is quite rare that impending need and opportunity line up like they have this year for us.

So of course we will blow it by assuming Romo has 5 years left.

Die already, Jerry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is quite rare that impending need and opportunity line up like they have this year for us.

So of course we will blow it by assuming Romo has 5 years left.

Die already, Jerry.
In what world would 5 years even be realistic though. So Romo is still going to be playing great at 41 years old? Please list off QBs who have been playing great at 41 years old? I mean look at the drop off with Payton Manning and that dude is 39.

Even if you don't take injuries with Romo into account there is no way in hell anyone should be counting on a QB to be playing great into their 40s. I really think Jerry just says this stuff so that he isn't hurting is buddy Romo's feelings. It shouldn't actually be taken seriously. It's like when a parent tells their child they can be anything they want to be. No parent actually believes that.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
In what world would 5 years even be realistic though. So Romo is still going to be playing great at 41 years old? Please list off QBs who have been playing great at 41 years old? I mean look at the drop off with Payton Manning and that dude is 39.

Even if you don't take injuries with Romo into account there is no way in hell anyone should be counting on a QB to be playing great into their 40s. I really think Jerry just says this stuff so that he isn't hurting is buddy Romo's feelings. It shouldn't actually be taken seriously. It's like when a parent tells their child they can be anything they want to be. No parent actually believes that.
Jerry thinks Romo is our Tom Brady, minus the SB rings, appearances, MVP's, etc.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think Wentz or Goff are "franchise" guys in the sense that they can step right in and turn around your team from day 1, but I think they are 100% franchise guys if afforded the time to learn for a few years behind a QB like Romo.
If this is the case, then why are they worth the 4th pick in the draft? You could also trade down. Couldn't you get the same value in the 2nd round?

The 1st round does get you another year on the rookie contract, which is good. So then the 1st round next year.

Lastly, in what universe is Ezekiel Elliott "underwhelming"?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If this is the case, then why are they worth the 4th pick in the draft? You could also trade down. Couldn't you get the same value in the 2nd round?
No, you can't. And no draft pick should be judged by what they will do as a rookie. That's short sighted and leads to a very poorly run franchise that doesn't win consistently.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

The 1st round does get you another year on the rookie contract, which is good. So then the 1st round next year.

Lastly, in what universe is Ezekiel Elliott "underwhelming"?
Wentz and Goff are far superior prospects to anybody we could get in the 2nd and I don't like the chances of Cook or anybody else not named Lynch to turn into actual franchise QB's no matter how much time they have to sit and learn. And of course who knows where we will be picking next year?

If Romo is healthy it may very well be 25 or later, but even if it is in the 15-25 range that still isn't a good spot to be in to get a premiere talent at the position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wentz and Goff are far superior prospects to anybody we could get in the 2nd and I don't like the chances of Cook or anybody else not named Lynch to turn into actual franchise QB's no matter how much time they have to sit and learn. And of course who knows where we will be picking next year?

If Romo is healthy it may very well be 25 or later, but even if it is in the 15-25 range that still isn't a good spot to be in to get a premiere talent at the position.
If you could promise me Lynch in the second that would be one thing. I still really like his ability.

But when you start talking about Cook, Hackenberg, Prescott, Brandon Allen and Driskel I see some very limited QBs that you're just wasting your time with. Maybe Cook becomes an Andy Dalton type but that's probably his ceiling. The rest I don't even see having that ability.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If you could promise me Lynch in the second that would be one thing. I still really like his ability.

But when you start talking about Cook, Hackenberg, Prescott, Brandon Allen and Driskel I see some very limited QBs that you're just wasting your time with. Maybe Cook becomes an Andy Dalton type but that's probably his ceiling. The rest I don't even see having that ability.
Same on Lynch. Brandon Allen reminds me alot of Kirk Cousins, which would basically be a poor man's Andy Dalton, and he is probably the only guy I'd want us to draft outside of the top 3 QB's, and even then I wouldn't take him until about the 4th.

But yea, outside of the top 3, I don't like any of the rest. There is a chance guys like Cook, Prescott or Hackenberg work out but I'd much rather use a later pick on Allen or number 4 on Goff or Wentz of course.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No fools gold is assuming that Romo will play at least a few more years. I'd actually have no problem taking a QB in the second round of this draft if his name was Paxton Lynch but I seriously doubt he will be around still by then. Otherwise if you wait until next year to take a QB, you're waiting too long and potentially missing the window of getting a QB talent of this caliber.
I think Paxton Lynch is a 2nd rounder most years, especially somebody as raw as he is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Paxton Lynch is a 2nd rounder most years, especially somebody as raw as he is.
Yeah we just don't agree in any way at all when it comes to QBs. To me Paxton Lynch looks like a Joey Flacco type first rounder each and every year.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Wentz and Goff are in the top 10 on most boards/rankings I've seen. There aren't any dominant can't-miss prospects at other positions outside of Tunsil, who will be gone when we pick and is also a player at our strongest position and lowest need area.

It really should be a no-brainer to go with the potential long-term starting QB. But I think Jerry and the organization is going to outsmart themselves planning on Romo being the starter for at least a couple more seasons and we'll pass on QB in order to take a defensive player. If Ramsey, Bosa, Buckner or Jack were head and shoulders above the QB's then I could see that logic. But they aren't. But most signs seem to indicate that's the direction we're going to go and then probably compound it by taking a lesser QB a round or so later missing out on a much better player in the process.

The only way it could work out is if Lynch fell to us in the 2nd. He's the only QB I'd consider in the 2nd or 3rd but it's a big if that he will be available at 34. Not to mention Wentz and Goff are both top 10 players in this draft while most now have Lynch in the 20-30 range. I do wonder if we took defense at 4 if we might try to trade back into the bottom of the 1st for Lynch. But even then we'd probably have to give up something like our 2nd and 3rd to do so. So I'd rather take Wentz or Goff and then have our 2nd / 3rd than to end up with Bosa/Ramsey/Jack/Buckner + Lynch.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't agree with this at all I think we have about the same amount of holes as any of the top rated teams heading into next year.

You can go through any of the playoff teams and start naming positions that have holes and they would even out.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would assume the windows shut, who is out there in the NFC we have no chance to beat?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with this at all I think we have about the same amount of holes as any of the top rated teams heading into next year.

You can go through any of the playoff teams and start naming positions that have holes and they would even out.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would assume the windows shut, who is out there in the NFC we have no chance to beat?
Assuming health (big assumption), we are no more than a solid draft and a couple of mid-tier free agents away from being one of the top 3-5 teams in the NFC.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah we just don't agree in any way at all when it comes to QBs. To me Paxton Lynch looks like a Joey Flacco type first rounder each and every year.
Derrick Carr was a better prospect than Lynch and he went in the 2nd.

Flacco was much more polished than Lynch.

Top Bottom