Mosley: Jones' 4-5 years comment on Romo is wishful thinking

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Matt Mosley: Jones' 4-5 years comment on Romo is wishful thinking; Wentz or Prescott will be on Cowboys' roster soon

By Matt Mosley , Special Contributor Contact Matt Mosley on Twitter: @mattmosley

Either Jerry Jones is trying to talk himself out of taking a quarterback early in the NFL draft or he's running a misdirection play. For now, I'll go with the latter scenario.

He seemed open to the idea of selecting a quarterback No. 4 overall in the immediate aftermath of a 4-12 season. Jones seemed inspired by the thought of identifying his next franchise quarterback. But over the weekend, Jerry told reporters at the NFL combine that he only had eyes for a quarterback already on his roster.

"What is the one unequivocal fact that you can count on relative to the preparation of this draft and on draft day is that I'm planning on [Tony] Romo being the quarterback for the next four or five years," Jones said. "That's a fact. You won't see a decision on draft day that will fly in the face of not believing, from our standpoint, that he'll be our quarterback for four or five years."

That sounds like wishful thinking to me. Romo's broken his clavicle three times and is now waiting (why so long?) for a metal plate to be surgically inserted into the area. I believe Jones is trying to appease his starting quarterback for the time being. He and son Stephen trot out this "4-5 years" scenario every times folks get excited about the Cowboys possibly taking a quarterback.

Jones told reporters he was giving them a "lean" as to what he might do early in the draft. I think he was a bit too forthcoming. If Carson Wentz is available when the Cowboys go on the clock at No. 4, there's still a pretty good chance they will take him. And instead of listening to all these amateur film jockeys who've come out of the woodworks locally, let me point you to what league executives are saying. Almost everyone believes Jerry will take a quarterback in the first or second round.

The Cowboys currently value Wentz more than Jared Goff because they spent so much time with him at the Senior Bowl. It's believed that Jason Garrett prefers Wentz at this point. The problem is that no one in the organization that I've talked to sees either quarterback as a so-called "franchise quarterback." One scout told me that both Wentz and Goff would've gone a "half-round" behind Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota had they been in the same draft. The Cowboys will have to decide if Wentz or Goff are the type of quarterbacks you can build around.

If the Cowboys would rather wait until the second round, both Dak Prescott and Connor Cook might be available. I've read where Cook had a rough combine, but scouts still love what he did at Michigan State. When I asked a longtime AFC scout about Cook reportedly missing several throws at the combine, he shot back, "I saw the kid miss a couple throws."

The three scouts I talked to for this column said that Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott blew everyone away in interviews. And it's been reported the Cowboys spent time with him at the Senior Bowl and at the combine. Prescott said in an interview that Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson told him the team was looking to take a quarterback.

"He has a fast and compact release," one AFC North scout said of Prescott. "It almost looks like Aaron Rodgers sometimes."

The fact that Prescott was the team captain for Mississippi State in four of his five years on campus also stands out to coaches and scouts. The Cowboys could have a shot at him early in the second round.

The biggest surprise after talking to several scouts recently is that Cook is ahead of Paxton Lynch in some organizations. The mock drafts have made us think that Lynch is the third quarterback, but that's not really a consensus among actual scouts.

"I think Lynch will need at least two years before he's ready," said one scout. "He could've used another year in college. He's just a little immature compared to some of the other quarterbacks."

The "sleeper" quarterback in this draft could be Penn State's Christian Hackenberg. I know a lot of folks are saying he had a poor combine, but scouts are still intrigued by his big arm. One scout told me he threw deep balls with the same ease he threw curls. If the Cowboys don't take a quarterback in the first three rounds, Hackenberg could be in the mix in the fourth.

Forgive me for not buying Jerry's comments on Romo. I think Wentz or Prescott will be on the Cowboys' roster soon. And neither player will have to wait 4-5 years to see the field.
---------------

What is with this Dak Prescott nonsense?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
What is with this Dak Prescott nonsense?
I don't know, but it needs to stop. He is terrible.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Not feeling as great about the draft and us getting a QB anymore. I feel like Cleveland takes Wentz, and Jerry and company don't want Goff at 4. So we we either draft the DB at 4 (god help us all) or we trade back to middle or later of the 1st and take who the hell knows. So, by then Goff is gone and we draft defense or an RB, for example. 2nd round, Jerry and company thinks is too high for Lynch so we go defense again. So that leaves us in the 3rd or 4th getting Prescott (vomit) or Cook (I haven't studied him). Also, Hackenburg? lol no, please no.

Jerry is so stupid that he probably does believe that Romo is going to be playing into his early 40's. Then again, the way he talks is so incomprehensible that it's like trying to understand someone from Arkansas speaking Mandarin-Chinese. Anyway, I'm just scared Jerry is going to cute himself right through the draft and then remember to take a QB in the 7th round. Some schlub from an online college.

5 more years of Romo, guys.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not feeling as great about the draft and us getting a QB anymore. I feel like Cleveland takes Wentz, and Jerry and company don't want Goff at 4. So we we either draft the DB at 4 (god help us all) or we trade back to middle or later of the 1st and take who the hell knows. So, by then Goff is gone and we draft defense or an RB, for example. 2nd round, Jerry and company thinks is too high for Lynch so we go defense again. So that leaves us in the 3rd or 4th getting Prescott (vomit) or Cook (I haven't studied him). Also, Hackenburg? lol no, please no.

Jerry is so stupid that he probably does believe that Romo is going to be playing into his early 40's. Then again, the way he talks is so incomprehensible that it's like trying to understand someone from Arkansas speaking Mandarin-Chinese. Anyway, I'm just scared Jerry is going to cute himself right through the draft and then remember to take a QB in the 7th round. Some schlub from an online college.

5 more years of Romo, guys.
I could be just fine with Romo for another 5 years but the odds are high that he will not stay upright for that period. It's a shame that he is now a bonafied injury prone player.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I could be just fine with Romo for another 5 years but the odds are high that he will not stay upright for that period. It's a shame that he is now a bonafied injury prone player.
Yes indeed. And maybe we'll get lucky and he will be healthy for 3 or 4 more years. Because he's a damn good qb. I just don't want us to structure our team around this presumption.

Carl

RIP Brother
If you exchange the word years for games, it would make more sense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo isn't going to last 5 years but people are acting like he's already done. Bullshit to both views.

If the guy at 4 is not a surefire franchise QB, then fuck no. Wait until the 2nd round or next year.

Not when impact players like Buckner or Bosa around. Elliot or Treadwell (who is only 20) can be had with a trade down.

Buckner probably goes to SD, which fing sucks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Correct, although if he breaks his clavicle again, he is probably done.
In addition it isn't just the collar bone that is at the heart of all this. The real issue is that Dallas has no backup at the QB position who can even compete if all is lost with Romo. I always thought it was a basic tenent of team compilation to fill every position with a capable starter and reliable backup in any sport. The Dallas coach is obviously overlooking that aspect of his responsibility and should be riding the personnel manager to acquire these folks. I realize that there are organizational issues in Dallas but I also wonder if the coach even IS capable of evaluating the team's personnel and making requests for players that meet the basic requirements of starters and backups.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We will not find a franchise QB in the second round of any draft with Jerry at the helm. There, I said it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We will not find a franchise QB in the second round of any draft with Jerry at the helm. There, I said it.
And no one would have ever thought that of the Bengals or Raiders either, yet Dalton and Carr are 2nd round QB poster kids.

The Cowboys having the 4th overall pick doesn't make Wentz, Goff, or Lynch franchise QBs. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

Reaching, even if it's for a QB, is a fuckup. Reaching in the top 5 is a major fuckup.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaching, even if it's for a QB, is a fuckup. Reaching in the top 5 is a major fuckup.
Everyone in the top 5 of this draft feels like a reach. At least with Wentz and Goff I feel like they are top QBs in most drafts.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"He has a fast and compact release," one AFC North scout said of Prescott. "It almost looks like Aaron Rodgers sometimes."
Is Jim Garrett in the AFC North now?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
At least with Wentz and Goff I feel like they are top QBs in most drafts.
If they are franchise QB's then we should take one.

I just don't want us to believe they are only because we happen to be picking high. On the surface each of these guys has major weaknesses.

Bucker, Bosa or a chance at Elliott is a high cost for a gamble on a skinny kid who might break with his first hit, a guy who's never played anyone, or someone with terrible mechanics who's admittedly a project.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If they are franchise QB's then we should take one.

I just don't want us to believe they are only because we happen to be picking high. On the surface each of these guys has major weaknesses.

Bucker, Bosa or a chance at Elliott is a high cost for a gamble on a skinny kid who might break with his first hit, a guy who's never played anyone, or someone with terrible mechanics who's admittedly a project.
Ravi they must be considered franchise material by a, lot of folks because they slotted them really high in the draft selection boards.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ravi they must be considered franchise material by a, lot of folks because they slotted them really high in the draft selection boards.
The pattern has been for QB's to rise to the top whether they are franchise guys or not.

Some years don't have qualified franchise QB's, but they still get drafted as if they were.

The YPA stats and leadership demonstrated by these QB's are all encouraging.

Top Bottom