What Illinoisians Should Know About Their Taxes

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
WHAT ILLINOISANS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THEIR TAXES

April 20, 2017
By Austin Berg
The average income of taxpayers who leave Illinois is $20,000 more than the taxpayers who arrive here.
Tax Day might be behind us, but Illinoisans have plenty of reasons to worry about their finances.

Here are three things families in the Land of Lincoln need to know about the cut government takes from their pocketbooks.

First, the real pain doesn’t come on the tax forms due April 18. It comes in envelopes arriving twice a year: property tax bills. These bills are the primary reason a recent study found people in Illinois bear the highest state and local tax burden in the nation.

Laura Valdez in Sandwich, Illinois, spoke of the dread she and her husband feel before that bill arrives.

“On property taxes, it’s gone from frustration to fear,” Valdez said. “Are we even going to be able to sell our home when someone does the math on the taxes?

“Since we moved in, our house’s value is down $90,000 but the property tax bill has doubled.”

Valdez says she must use 10 to 15 percent of her family’s income just to pay real estate taxes.

Statewide, residential property taxes eat up more than 6 percent of typical household income. That share is up more than 75 percent since 1990, and without major reforms to keep local government spending in check, the upward spiral won’t slow down anytime soon.

The second thing that should concern Illinoisans about taxes: State revenues are slipping. In a healthy economy, tax revenues should be growing steadily even as the tax rate stays flat. That’s not happening here.

Compared with this point last fiscal year, Illinois has taken in $1.3 billion less in state revenues. Keep in mind state tax rates haven’t changed since then. Corporate income tax receipts alone are down nearly $750 million. This means Illinois could be flirting with a statewide recession.

Jobs growth is weak, business activity is low and people are leaving the state in record numbers. So a massive tax hike – such as the one included in the Illinois Senate’s “grand bargain”– is exactly what lawmakers shouldn’t be doing as the state starves for economic growth.

Third, Illinoisans should know who pays.

The most recent data from the Illinois Department of Revenue show that the top 19 percent of Illinois taxpayers (people taking home more than $100,000 a year) cover more than 64 percent of the state’s income taxes.

Illinoisans earning more than $1 million a year pay 15 percent of Illinois’ income taxes, or $2.6 billion. That’s equal to the income tax bill paid by the bottom 58 percent of earners combined.
Some people may still think that’s not enough. They say wealthier Illinoisans are not paying their fair share. And they’re welcome to think that.

But good luck forcing well-heeled taxpayers to stick around.

Wealth flight is all too real here. Illinois is experiencing record levels of out-migration. And since the 2011 income tax hikes, the income difference between the people coming in and the people heading out has grown drastically.

The average income of taxpayers who leave the state ($77,000) is $20,000 more than the taxpayers who arrive here ($57,000), according to data from the Internal Revenue Service. That’s the largest difference in the nation.

And don’t think millionaires are blind to the growing herd of people leaving. In fact, a 2015 report estimated Chicago was the only American city to see significant loss of millionaire households. With a net loss of 3,000 millionaires, Chicago was among the likes of Athens and Rome.

No one likes Tax Day, but Illinoisans are suffering from a different type of terror. Maybe April 18 knocked some sense into state lawmakers who can’t seem to get dreams of multibillion-dollar tax hikes out of their heads.

One can hope.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just sort of shows you what happens when you jack taxes up on people and the impact on an economy. Especially when you try to play the "fair share" game.

midswat

... soon
Didn't read the thread but wanted to send a big FU out to [MENTION=9]Cowboysrock55[/MENTION] for the all caps thread title.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Taxation is theft.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Taxation is theft.
Enjoy your privately funded police force then I am sure that won't be corrupt as hell. Matter of fact lets just enjoy that private military as well, war is good for business for be prepared for perpetual warfare.

I am all for looking at our tax laws, streamlining, them and cutting out the loopholes for everyone, but cut the ideological bullshit, it isn't helpful and is plan stupid. To intimate that we don't need to pay taxes is retarded.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoy your privately funded police force then I am sure that won't be corrupt as hell. Matter of fact lets just enjoy that private military as well, war is good for business for be prepared for perpetual warfare.

I am all for looking at our tax laws, streamlining, them and cutting out the loopholes for everyone, but cut the ideological bullshit, it isn't helpful and is plan stupid. To intimate that we don't need to pay taxes is retarded.
Taxation can both be theft and necessary. They aren't mutually exclusive like you make them sound. Of course if you view taxation as theft you'd tend to assume that it should be done only to the level that is absolutely necessary. For purposes of a Federal Government that would be to maintain a military for example. The problem is, we have gone way past "absolutely" necessary and now taxes are basically used for every whim of government.

vince

Not So New Member

Hittin the booze early.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Taxation can both be theft and necessary. They aren't mutually exclusive like you make them sound. Of course if you view taxation as theft you'd tend to assume that it should be done only to the level that is absolutely necessary. For purposes of a Federal Government that would be to maintain a military for example. The problem is, we have gone way past "absolutely" necessary and now taxes are basically used for every whim of government.
I think they are mutually exclusive, and I am glad it sounded that way because that is what I meant.

What whims of the federal government are you talking about?

I am Curious, because in the past you and I have had very similar views on the redoing the tax code.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Illinois has been going downhill for decades. It's a sad place to visit.

vince

Not So New Member
Don't drink, discuss your views. I'd be curious to know your point of view.
I was just pointing out the grammatical errors. I actually agree with you. Taxing is a necessary evil, unfortunately. But one can't deny that it can be abused and misused as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they are mutually exclusive, and I am glad it sounded that way because that is what I meant.

What whims of the federal government are you talking about?

I am Curious, because in the past you and I have had very similar views on the redoing the tax code.
Most of the stuff outside of infrastructure spending and defense spending (Which is excessive in the amount but necessary at some level). I don't think the Federal Government ever should have started the Social Security program for example. I don't think the federal government should be involved in like 99% of their social programs. They sure as shit shouldn't be taking money from their own people so that they can send it to other countries. I mean I could go on and on. What you're talking about with things like Military, roads and minimum regulation and it's enforcement are necessary evils. I don't like taxes for those things but they are absolutely necessary. What isn't absolutely necessary is the federal government giving out money to people via the Earned Income Credit who didn't pay that in federal taxes in the first place.

Think of it this way, if you have to steal water from my house to put out the fire next door it is something that is absolutely necessary. It is still theft but it's necessary. On the other hand stealing water from my house so that my neighbor doesn't have to pay for their water is theft that is unnecessary. That's the big difference.

townsend

Banned
Fun fact: Did you know Milton Freidman supported a universal basic income?

2233boys

Not So New Member
Most of the stuff outside of infrastructure spending and defense spending (Which is excessive in the amount but necessary at some level). I don't think the Federal Government ever should have started the Social Security program for example. I don't think the federal government should be involved in like 99% of their social programs. They sure as shit shouldn't be taking money from their own people so that they can send it to other countries. I mean I could go on and on. What you're talking about with things like Military, roads and minimum regulation and it's enforcement are necessary evils. I don't like taxes for those things but they are absolutely necessary. What isn't absolutely necessary is the federal government giving out money to people via the Earned Income Credit who didn't pay that in federal taxes in the first place.

Think of it this way, if you have to steal water from my house to put out the fire next door it is something that is absolutely necessary. It is still theft but it's necessary. On the other hand stealing water from my house so that my neighbor doesn't have to pay for their water is theft that is unnecessary. That's the big difference.
Agree 100%

Top Bottom