Archer: Question isn't if Cowboys draft a cornerback, but how many

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Question isn't if Cowboys draft a cornerback, but how many
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys have seven picks in next week’s draft and more needs than selections. This week, we're taking a position-by-position look at the roster to determine which spots they needs are more necessary to fill than others.

CORNERBACK

What they have: Orlando Scandrick, Nolan Carroll, Anthony Brown, Leon McFadden, Jeremiah McKinnon, Duke Thomas, Sammy Seamster.

What they need: The Cowboys watched Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne leave via free agency and signed Carroll to a three-year deal worth $10 million. He had his best season a year ago in Philadelphia, starting all 16 games for the first time in his career.

Scandrick should be better two years removed from tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his knee, an injury that cost him the 2015 season. Brown was a major find as a sixth-round pick last year. He showed he was unafraid of the moment.

But the Cowboys need more. Carroll and Scandrick are both 30.

In the lead-up to the draft, the Cowboys had 11 cornerbacks among their allotted 30 national visitors. The Cowboys do not use these visits as window dressing. From Kevin King to Fabian Moreau to Cordrea Tankersley, the Cowboys have looked at all kinds of corners.

Carr had just one interception in his final three seasons with the Cowboys, but his value was in his availability. He did not miss a game in his five-year run with the club. Claiborne never played a full season in his five years, but was having his best season last year before a groin injury kept him out for the final nine games.

Claiborne was the Cowboys’ most recent first-round selection. They moved up to No. 6 overall to take him in 2012 and it just didn’t pan out. It should shock nobody to see the Cowboys take a cornerback at No. 28 this year.

Best fit: Kevin King, Washington. At the start of the draft process his teammate, Sidney Jones, drew more attention than King, but as the process winds down, King is finding himself as a first-round lock. He has good size (6-3) and is aggressive. He can make tough plays and has good body control. He led Washington with 15 pass deflections and picked off two passes. He plays with an attitude, and that’s something the secondary needs.

Late-round possibilities: UCF’s Shaq Griffin and Oregon State’s Treston Decoud were among the Cowboys’ national visitors leading up to the draft. Griffin had four of his seven career interceptions last season. He is a gifted athlete, but does not seem to have the best instincts. Decoud had a well-traveled college career before ending up at Oregon State. He had two interceptions last year and is long, but needs to do a better job with his technique.

Feeling a draft: The question isn’t whether the Cowboys will draft one cornerback, it’s whether they will draft two cornerbacks. The last time they took two corners in the same year was 2009, but those selections came in the fifth and seventh rounds. In 2008, they selected Mike Jenkins in the first round and Scandrick in the fifth round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Take a pass rusher first. Then they can fucking O.D. on corners if they want.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If the official visit list is any indication I think that's the plan.

Stephen also said the pass rush is priority 1, while ballhawking DB's is 1A.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yes. That is the area with the biggest hole. Fill it then look at the next hole or BPA. Need can somethime legitimately override BPA.

Cotton

Staff member
Yes. That is the area with the biggest hole. Fill it then look at the next hole or BPA. Need can somethime legitimately override BPA.
BPA should actually be BPAPN.

Best pick available at a position of need.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agree that they should draft a pass rusher first. There are a lot of very good DBs around in rounds 2 and 3.

Pass rushers, not so much. I tend to think that at best you are looking at a guy like Rivers or Tarall Basham at 60. Quite a drop off from probably having your choice of McKinley, Harris, Charlton, Bowser, etc, at 32.

Meanwhile there could easily be 2-3 starting caliber corners and another 2-3 starting caliber safeties even in the third round.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
BPA should actually be BPAPN.

Best pick available at a position of need.
I don't agree.

I would say more "Best player available at a position where you can get best impact from the player during his rookie deal."

So like... a WR isn't a position of need for us, at all. But if another Dez Bryant was available at 28, yeah, he will see the field some time within the next 2-3 years, once Terrence Williams is phased out. He is my pick.

QB on the other hand... well, Prescott isn't going anywhere. RB... I'd be hard pressed to take Joe Mixon in the second or third, because, uh, he's just not gonna get any touches behind Zeke. Same with a center early maybe.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't agree.

I would say more "Best player available at a position where you can get best impact from the player during his rookie deal."

So like... a WR isn't a position of need for us, at all. But if another Dez Bryant was available at 28, yeah, he will see the field some time within the next 2-3 years, once Terrence Williams is phased out. He is my pick.
I think it's a balance. Obviously if you have an elite player slide to you, you take them. But, if you have a second tier near elite player slide to you but there is a second tier player at a position of need further down your board, you take the need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree that they should draft a pass rusher first. There are a lot of very good DBs around in rounds 2 and 3.

Pass rushers, not so much. I tend to think that at best you are looking at a guy like Rivers or Tarall Basham at 60. Quite a drop off from probably having your choice of McKinley, Harris, Charlton, Bowser, etc, at 32.

Meanwhile there could easily be 2-3 starting caliber corners and another 2-3 starting caliber safeties even in the third round.
I think safety actually concerns me more than corner. I'm not a huge fan of Carroll but he is going to start and I feel better about him starting than Jeff Heath at safety. A top 3 corners of Scandrick, Brown and Carroll is actually pretty solid. Not special at all but certainly solid. Our depth is just shit after that.

Byron Jones and Jeff Heath though, does not make me feel good. And I actually think Jeff Heath has somehow developed into a decent contributor at safety. But the great white hope is not starting material in my book. I'd put a safety as my top secondary need.

I'm sure the Cowboys view corner as more important to this defense than safety though. And I get it. It takes more athletic ability to play corner. It's why lots of corners shift to safety but you almost never see a safety shift to corner full time. It's the same reason why a LT is more important than a guard. A LT who fails, a lot of times, can kick inside and be a really good guard. But you don't ever see the opposite. At the same time I think interior lineman have a huge impact on the game. In the same fashion an elite safety impacts a defense. So basically give me our pass rushers, safety and than take some corners. But I doubt it falls that way.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think safety actually concerns me more than corner. I'm not a huge fan of Carroll but he is going to start and I feel better about him starting than Jeff Heath at safety. A top 3 corners of Scandrick, Brown and Carroll is actually pretty solid. Not special at all but certainly solid. Our depth is just shit after that.

Byron Jones and Jeff Heath though, does not make me feel good. And I actually think Jeff Heath has somehow developed into a decent contributor at safety. But the great white hope is not starting material in my book. I'd put a safety as my top secondary need.

I'm sure the Cowboys view corner as more important to this defense than safety though. And I get it. It takes more athletic ability to play corner. It's why lots of corners shift to safety but you almost never see a safety shift to corner full time. It's the same reason why a LT is more important than a guard. A LT who fails, a lot of times, can kick inside and be a really good guard. But you don't ever see the opposite. At the same time I think interior lineman have a huge impact on the game. In the same fashion an elite safety impacts a defense. So basically give me our pass rushers, safety and than take some corners. But I doubt it falls that way.
And Byron Jones is basically a CB for us in alot of nickel/dime packages.

I'd take a S over a CB all things being equal, but the talent is better and deeper at CB than S.

vince

Not So New Member

I'd take a S over a CB all things being equal, but the talent is better and deeper at CB than S.
I was able to listen to Charles Woodson's take on Byron being the best overall defensive player, simply because he's able to go back and forth between 2 positions. They really need to have Byron play at 1 position and learn to excel at it. Can't continue this back and forth with him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I was able to listen to Charles Woodson's take on Byron being the best overall defensive player, simply because he's able to go back and forth between 2 positions. They really need to have Byron play at 1 position and learn to excel at it. Can't continue this back and forth with him.
Best overall defensive player on the defense? The secondary?

I can buy the secondary but anybody who argues him over Lee has got to be a moron. I also expect Maliek Collins and perhaps Irving to pass him this year as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I can buy the secondary but anybody who argues him over Lee has got to be a moron. I also expect Maliek Collins and perhaps Irving to pass him this year as well.
I think it's sort of a safety having love for another safety. I doubt Leon Lett for example believes that Byron Jones is the best overall player on our defense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:Imdone

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I don't think he said best, I think it was more like most valuable because of his versatility. Which is a much more tenable argument.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I would definitely say the talent is deeper at corner than safety in this draft. But I'd say they are both pretty talented positions in this draft. For example at pick 28 I wouldn't necessarily say the corner we could pick would be more talented than a safety we could pick. I'd say they are on a pretty similar talent level.

I really can't wait for the draft. I always get so excited for it this time of year.

Top Bottom