Archer: If Cowboys draft a QB, then it will be later

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If Cowboys draft a QB, then it will be later
9:30 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Cowboys have seven picks in next week’s draft and more needs than selections. This week we will take a position-by-position look at the roster to determine which spots they needs are more necessary to fill than others.

QUARTERBACK

What they have: Dak Prescott, Kellen Moore.

What they need: At the very least they need more arms, unless they plan to move Jameill Showers back to quarterback after switching him to safety last year, just to get through the offseason.

Prescott stepped in as a rookie last year and delivered more than anybody could have thought possible with 23 touchdown passes and four interceptions. He was named the Offensive Rookie of the Year and the Cowboys believe he is their next franchise quarterback.

The Cowboys plan to go with Moore as their No. 2, which was the plan they had last year behind Tony Romo. When Moore suffered a broken ankle a week into camp, Prescott moved up a spot and became the starter when Romo was hurt in the preseason.

Before taking Prescott in the fourth round last year, the Cowboys had not selected a quarterback in the draft since taking Stephen McGee in the fourth round in 2009.

They have not put a lot of draft capital in the position. Early in Romo’s tenure as the starter, they put a veteran backup behind him, first with Brad Johnson and then with Jon Kitna. Moore has more time spent in the league, but he has started only two games.

Best fit: Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh. He will likely go a lot sooner than the Cowboys want to select a quarterback, but he possesses the qualities they like with his touch and smarts. He moves well enough. He started his career at Tennessee but moved to Pitt and was a two-year starter, throwing 47 touchdown passes with just 15 interceptions.

Late-round possibilities: Virginia Tech’s Jerod Evans, Baylor’s Seth Russell. Both quarterbacks were part of the Cowboys’ “Dallas Day” workouts with their local ties. Evans is more likely to be drafted than Russell, whose injuries at Baylor will scare off teams. Evans has only one season as a starter, but he helped the Hokies to the ACC title game.

Feeling a draft: Unless they run out of defensive players at positions of much greater need, the Cowboys will fall back to their previous history of not selecting a quarterback in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Cowboys draft a QB, then it will be later
9:30 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Cowboys have seven picks in next week’s draft and more needs than selections. This week we will take a position-by-position look at the roster to determine which spots they needs are more necessary to fill than others.

QUARTERBACK

What they have: Dak Prescott, Kellen Moore.

What they need: At the very least they need more arms, unless they plan to move Jameill Showers back to quarterback after switching him to safety last year, just to get through the offseason.

Prescott stepped in as a rookie last year and delivered more than anybody could have thought possible with 23 touchdown passes and four interceptions. He was named the Offensive Rookie of the Year and the Cowboys believe he is their next franchise quarterback.

The Cowboys plan to go with Moore as their No. 2, which was the plan they had last year behind Tony Romo. When Moore suffered a broken ankle a week into camp, Prescott moved up a spot and became the starter when Romo was hurt in the preseason.

Before taking Prescott in the fourth round last year, the Cowboys had not selected a quarterback in the draft since taking Stephen McGee in the fourth round in 2009.

They have not put a lot of draft capital in the position. Early in Romo’s tenure as the starter, they put a veteran backup behind him, first with Brad Johnson and then with Jon Kitna. Moore has more time spent in the league, but he has started only two games.

Best fit: Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh. He will likely go a lot sooner than the Cowboys want to select a quarterback, but he possesses the qualities they like with his touch and smarts. He moves well enough. He started his career at Tennessee but moved to Pitt and was a two-year starter, throwing 47 touchdown passes with just 15 interceptions.

Late-round possibilities: Virginia Tech’s Jerod Evans, Baylor’s Seth Russell. Both quarterbacks were part of the Cowboys’ “Dallas Day” workouts with their local ties. Evans is more likely to be drafted than Russell, whose injuries at Baylor will scare off teams. Evans has only one season as a starter, but he helped the Hokies to the ACC title game.

Feeling a draft: Unless they run out of defensive players at positions of much greater need, the Cowboys will fall back to their previous history of not selecting a quarterback in the draft.
I'm guessing we sign an undrafted free agent like Seth Russell. This QB class kind of sucks. And if I was going to draft a middle to late round QB it would probably be Chad Kelly but I don't think we are the right team for a guy like that. His self entitled attitude it going to need a strong disciplinarian head coach. In Dallas he would probably do more harm than good behind Dak.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm guessing we sign an undrafted free agent like Seth Russell. This QB class kind of sucks. And if I was going to draft a middle to late round QB it would probably be Chad Kelly but I don't think we are the right team for a guy like that. His self entitled attitude it going to need a strong disciplinarian head coach. In Dallas he would probably do more harm than good behind Dak.
I would be okay with Russell. He was pretty decent before he was injured.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would prefer not to use a draft pick on a QB this year. Grab one or two in UDFA for camp arms. Maybe one sticks. If they don't... Oh well. Maybe we can sign a backup after cut downs. If not, ride with that Nancy boy we have. He has a weenie arm, but is smart enough to maybe get us through a game or two if needed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would prefer not to use a draft pick on a QB this year. Grab one or two in UDFA for camp arms. Maybe one sticks. If they don't... Oh well. Maybe we can sign a backup after cut downs. If not, ride with that Nancy boy we have. He has a weenie arm, but is smart enough to maybe get us through a game or two if needed.
Yeah, you can't really do a QB in this draft. Just doesn't make sense unless you are willing to devote a strong pick to it.

I just get a little worried about having a dork like Kellen Moore a twisted ankle away from starting.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, you can't really do a QB in this draft. Just doesn't make sense unless you are willing to devote a strong pick to it.

I just get a little worried about having a dork like Kellen Moore a twisted ankle away from starting.
Yeah, if Prescott has to sit out any significant time, we're screwed. If Moore only has to play a game or two, I think he has enough to let us lean heavily on the running game and short passing game to get us by. I would like to upgrade from him, though.

I have no idea how the QB class is stacked up for next year, but it would be a good time to draft a guy in the middle rounds. Considering we should have 4 comp picks to go along with a full slate of picks. (until Jerry gets trade happy next week, that is. :art )

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, if Prescott has to sit out any significant time, we're screwed. If Moore only has to play a game or two, I think he has enough to let us lean heavily on the running game and short passing game to get us by. I would like to upgrade from him, though.

I have no idea how the QB class is stacked up for next year, but it would be a good time to draft a guy in the middle rounds. Considering we should have 4 comp picks to go along with a full slate of picks. (until Jerry gets trade happy next week, that is. :art )
Prescott is so young, this is uncharted territory.

I would prefer to go the pay a vet route for a while.

But they need to get the idea that it is okay to draft a QB when you are not desperate.

This was another bullet dodged. We got another freebie, just like Romo.

Keep the backup in your mind as your team matures and if you have the picks to throw at it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If Dak goes down Romo is coming out if he booth and we are I stand SB bound! He's like a backup without being a backup.

Top Bottom