Sturm's take on Romo's health...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
"Here it is: I don't think Romo's situation can be classified as a QB with "injury issues" anymore. Rather, I would suggest that Romo's collarbone situation would have to be called a "ticking time bomb." I think his future is week to week, not year to year. No longer a question of "if", but rather a matter of "when". I think that his collarbone has obviously not mended like they had first hoped and so here we sit - 159 days since Jordan Hicks broke it in September and 92 days since Thomas Davis got him again on Thanksgiving Day - without any further resolution that he is as good as new and ready to play. I might remind you that the Cowboys resisted the obvious plans of putting him on injured reserve because they originally assumed he would be available for the NFC Championship Game which was played on January 24th. 33 days ago.

So, I don't believe his collarbone has mended properly since Thankgsiving. And I sure don't believe it healed like they thought it would from September - as evidenced best that he broke it again on a rather normal-looking hit on Thankgsiving Day. I am far from a medical expert, but I can read a calendar. When they talk about this 8-10 weeks business and we sit here at the end of February and discuss further procedures, but still under the banner of "everything is fine and there is no reason for alarm", I am tempted to sound the sirens. I am not buying it anymore. This Mumford procedure that discusses shaving off part of the clavicle seems like a very odd way to strengthen a collarbone. I am positive I am showing my medical ignorance, but I also am assuming that most people having that procedure are not having 300 lb linemen like Fletcher Cox or Johnathan Hankins trying to slam them right on their collarbone at their first chance in an effort to remove the Cowboys biggest and most indispensible weapon from the proceedings.

I don't like it. In fact, I don't believe the rhetoric coming out of Valley Ranch on this topic anymore. I don't believe this 5-year window nonsense, and frankly, I don't believe they believe it either. There have been 8 QBs who were starters when Tony Romo took over the job in Dallas and remain starters today (Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, and Romo). The only one to have started as few games as Romo is Palmer, and that is only because the injury-prone Palmer also has a 9-game contract holdout to his credit. In other words, Romo has the worst health-related attendance record in his peer group, and it doesn't look like it will ever get better."

Stars

DCC 4Life
I agree with Sturm. I'm only speculating, but what is the hold-up with this surgery? Of all the expert doctors out there that Dallas surely has at their disposal, why can't they come up with a decision? Does the plate procedure have drawbacks that they aren't talking about? Why is he considering the Mumford procedure.. I thought that was more of a procedure to alleviate ligament and nerve pain, from what I read. How does shaving it help the strength of the bone. Something is going on that they are probably, rightfully not talking about.

Seeing how brittle he's become, with a plate I would just expect him to break it next time along the edge of the plate lol.

We need to draft a quarterback.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This might be a blessing in disguise for anyone hoping we draft a QB.

Stars

DCC 4Life
And I'm not saying we have to draft one @4, but it's time to start addressing the situation correctly through the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I've been very critical of that collarbone for awhile. I think Romo is experiencing serious discomfort. That's why they are considering the mumford surgery and that's also probably why they don't want to put a plate in there. A plate would just potentially cause additional discomfort. The mumford procedure is basically designed to correct the discomfort but in no way makes it less likely he will injure it again. Basically, I think it is only a matter of time before he breaks the collarbone again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
2004. Now that was a QB class.
Rivers was a late 1st/early 2nd and had a meteoric rise up into the top 5 based on the Senior Bowl while there were a good amount of questions surrounding Roethlisberger in terms of how he would fit in an NFL offense after never playing under center in college I believe, not that different from where we're at now with Wentz and Lynch.

As for Goff, he really reminds me alot of Eli, more athletic, maybe not quite as big of an arm, but I think they're comparable.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Rivers was a late 1st/early 2nd and had a meteoric rise up into the top 5 based on the Senior Bowl while there were a good amount of questions surrounding Roethlisberger in terms of how he would fit in an NFL offense after never playing under center in college I believe, not that different from where we're at now with Wentz and Lynch.

As for Goff, he really reminds me alot of Eli, more athletic, maybe not quite as big of an arm, but I think they're comparable.
Lynch similarly reminds me of Roethlisberger.

Eli was a monster in college, and I remember Rivers' rapid climb. I had barely heard of Roethlisberger, though Parcells remarked he was the best prospect he'd seen in a dozen years.

Eli looked a bit like a bitch hiding behind his dad and brother while balking at being drafted by the Chargers and driving the trade with New York for Rivers.

I thought Manning was going to be a whiff as a pro until he put it all together during the 2007 playoffs.

I really like Goff, though his weight is a bit of a concern. Wentz looks the part, though he's never played against anybody.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And I'm not saying we have to draft one @4, but it's time to start addressing the situation correctly through the draft.
Absolutely true. And it would be nice to address while we still have one so we don't have to bottom out first. We didn't bottom out last year because we have a solid young core and an excellent offensive line already built for any young QB to step into.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I agree with Sturm. I'm only speculating, but what is the hold-up with this surgery? Of all the expert doctors out there that Dallas surely has at their disposal, why can't they come up with a decision? Does the plate procedure have drawbacks that they aren't talking about? Why is he considering the Mumford procedure.. I thought that was more of a procedure to alleviate ligament and nerve pain, from what I read. How does shaving it help the strength of the bone. Something is going on that they are probably, rightfully not talking about.

Seeing how brittle he's become, with a plate I would just expect him to break it next time along the edge of the plate lol.

We need to draft a quarterback.
It may need to heal more to take the plate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like Goff, though his weight is a bit of a concern.
You and this weight stuff. If Goff puts on 10 lbs in the NFL he will be 225 which is pretty much ideal for him. It should be cake for a guy to put on 10 lbs in an NFL weight room.

townsend

Banned
You and this weight stuff. If Goff puts on 10 lbs in the NFL he will be 225 which is pretty much ideal for him. It should be cake for a guy to put on 10 lbs in an NFL weight room.
Especially if he's eating in Dallas instead of surviving on Kale and tofu in California.

Stars

DCC 4Life
It may need to heal more to take the plate.
That sounds right to me as well.

And that might be why there's been the appearance of Romo/the team going back and forth on which surgery to get, if any. They don't necessarily just want to come out and say it isn't healing at the rate it should be or that they hoped. Nor should they if they think it affects their draft plans.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Lynch similarly reminds me of Roethlisberger.

Eli was a monster in college, and I remember Rivers' rapid climb. I had barely heard of Roethlisberger, though Parcells remarked he was the best prospect he'd seen in a dozen years.

Eli looked a bit like a bitch hiding behind his dad and brother while balking at being drafted by the Chargers and driving the trade with New York for Rivers.

I thought Manning was going to be a whiff as a pro until he put it all together during the 2007 playoffs.

I really like Goff, though his weight is a bit of a concern. Wentz looks the part, though he's never played against anybody.
Eli was only 221 coming out.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Eli was only 221 coming out.
That's pretty solid, and NFL programs add a few pounds.

Thankfully Goff weighed 215 at the combine (and not 205 like he had been listed on other sites), but at 6'4" that is still a bit light.

Otherwise I think the kid looks good, but being too light makes a difference if recent history is any measure. It's not the same world as in 1979 when Joe Montana was drafted.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Goff is also very young, his playing weight in the NFL will be between 225 and 240

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't care what Romo or any Jones says, the writing's on the wall and they all know it. Tony knows he can't take any more hits, either physicality, mentally or both. More often than not, he drops into a fetal position any time a rusher is within four feet of him and has for years. It's not about his age or his talent, it's about his ability to physically ormentallybeing able to keep playing.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Goff is also very young, his playing weight in the NFL will be between 225 and 240
No.

That never happens for QB's. The playing weight of real pros (not overweight tubs like Ryan Leaf) rarely varies. Show me a real pro QB that ever gained that much weight. Tom Brady weighs exactly the same now as he did when he was drafted.

Goff will struggle with injuries because he's a bit too light for his height. Otherwise he's a great prospect, minus the normal accuracy issues QB's deal with transitioning from college to pro.

When you evaluate Goff, you'll have to factor this in. Sooner or later he's going to get crushed, and does he have the body to bounce back over a full season year in and year out.

Top Bottom