Archer: Cowboys' offseason attendance high for variety of reasons

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' offseason attendance high for variety of reasons
9:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Some teams have to do what they can to ensure players show up for the voluntary offseason program. The Green Bay Packers have close to $5 million in workout bonuses ready for their players.

The Dallas Cowboys do not have one player with a workout bonus.

The North Texas climate, the new facility and the peer pressure means the Cowboys have a high percentage of players at the voluntary workouts.

There is another reason: de-escalators.

More than 20 players have de-escalators in their deals that could end up costing them parts of their base salaries.

The monetary amounts of the de-escalators vary from player to player, but if cornerback Orlando Scandrick does not meet 90 percent of his workouts, he would forfeit $1 million of his $3 million base salary. Dez Bryant has a $500,000 de-escalator if he doesn’t attend 90 percent of the workouts tied to his $13 million base salary.

Jason Witten, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick also have de-escalators in their deals.

A number of teams use the de-escalator provisions in their deals with players, so the Cowboys are not alone. Players can miss roughly three workouts and not forfeit part of their salary. In 2015, Rolando McClain had a $250,000 workout bonus that he failed to collect after opting to do most of his knee rehab in Alabama.

According to this story by Packers NFL Nation reporter Rob Demovsky, Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews and David Bakhtiari have $500,000 workout bonuses. The Packers have workout bonuses for 20 players.

The closest the Cowboys come to a workout bonus is with new offensive lineman Byron Bell. He can earn up to $450,000 if he makes a predetermined weight the first day of minicamp, training camp and the regular season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cowboys' offseason attendance high for variety of reasons
9:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Some teams have to do what they can to ensure players show up for the voluntary offseason program. The Green Bay Packers have close to $5 million in workout bonuses ready for their players.

The Dallas Cowboys do not have one player with a workout bonus.

The North Texas climate, the new facility and the peer pressure means the Cowboys have a high percentage of players at the voluntary workouts.

There is another reason: de-escalators.

More than 20 players have de-escalators in their deals that could end up costing them parts of their base salaries.

The monetary amounts of the de-escalators vary from player to player, but if cornerback Orlando Scandrick does not meet 90 percent of his workouts, he would forfeit $1 million of his $3 million base salary. Dez Bryant has a $500,000 de-escalator if he doesn’t attend 90 percent of the workouts tied to his $13 million base salary.

Jason Witten, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick also have de-escalators in their deals.

A number of teams use the de-escalator provisions in their deals with players, so the Cowboys are not alone. Players can miss roughly three workouts and not forfeit part of their salary. In 2015, Rolando McClain had a $250,000 workout bonus that he failed to collect after opting to do most of his knee rehab in Alabama.

According to this story by Packers NFL Nation reporter Rob Demovsky, Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews and David Bakhtiari have $500,000 workout bonuses. The Packers have workout bonuses for 20 players.

The closest the Cowboys come to a workout bonus is with new offensive lineman Byron Bell. He can earn up to $450,000 if he makes a predetermined weight the first day of minicamp, training camp and the regular season.
I'm mixed about this type of program. Oversimplified a player not only should ensure they are physically fit for their positions without getting paid to do so but probably be fined if the don't show up in shape to full fill their roles.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm mixed about this type of program. Oversimplified a player not only should ensure they are physically fit for their positions without getting paid to do so but probably be fined if the don't show up in shape to full fill their roles.
I don't see the problem. They're doing exactly what you say they should be doing here. They are not being paid anything extra for working out. And they will lose money (ie fined) if they don't work out and stay in shape.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If I understand it correctly their contract provides the actual pay. It should contain any incenatives including workout pay . That's what is agreed between parties and with that they should present themselves fit for work. As I said I am mixed about it but if it isn't in the contract to me it is assumed that the compensation has been agreed on. And it not a problem for me rather a position I would take initially. Some of the Green Bay players get workout pay.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What's the difference between players getting a bonus for working out versus being fined for not working out?

Anyway, same article we get every year. Team has great participation, is in the best shape of their lives, etc.

Cotton

Staff member
What's the difference between players getting a bonus for working out versus being fined for not working out?
Yeah, I thought this, as well, when reading the article. 6 on one hand, half dozen on the other.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Anyway, same article we get every year. Team has great participation, is in the best shape of their lives, etc.
The contract terms. I recall at times some players would come in way overweight or delay surgeries until it was time for some of the camps.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, but they lose money either way. It's the same difference just worded differently.
Right. Some contracts fine you for not showing up in acceptable physical condition because that's the way it is worded. Other contracts break down the contract monetary agreements which outlines what the employer will pay if all the criteria is met. If not you don't get paid because that part of the payment will be used to pay for the penalty that was assessed in the form of a fine.

Cotton

Staff member
Right. Some contracts fine you for not showing up in acceptable physical condition because that's the way it is worded. Other contracts break down the contract monetary agreements which outlines what the employer will pay if all the criteria is met. If not you don't get paid because that part of the payment will be used to pay for the penalty that was assessed in the form of a fine.
It's accomplishes the exact same thing. They are just worded differently.

Top Bottom