Werder: Romo to have offseason surgery

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You, skid and Clay were on the Mazevo site?

Hmmph.

Sorry then.
Since Campo. To be fair, I was a lot more homer back then.

I remember moving to here after the hutch incident, and you guys all had fake names. :lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Since Campo. To be fair, I was a lot more homer back then.

I remember moving to here after the hutch incident, and you guys all had fake names. :lol
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Rasputin, Wallace and The Dude can all back me up on this.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Remember when we didn't put Romo on IR so he could return for the playoffs? Good times.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
What this really does is make a future break a much more complicated thing, now that you're going to have a plate and screws involved.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys QB Tony Romo's surgery plan to address fractured collarbone revealed

By David Moore , Staff Writer

Tony Romo still intends to have surgery on his left clavicle.

Only the date and type of procedure remain in question, sources said.

The plan is for the Cowboys quarterback to undergo another CT scan at the end of this month or early March. At that point the best way to proceed will be reassessed.

Two options are in play, sources said. Doctors could determine it's best to use a set of screws to attach a plate over the collarbone to limit the potential for this to become a recurring issue.

But if the next scan shows a comparable level of bone growth and regeneration to the one taken last week, doctors could opt for a Mumford procedure. This is where a portion of the distal clavicle is shaved off or removed.

This approach is taken to reduce pain and discomfort where the clavicle meets the shoulder. If the results of the next scan warrant this approach, it would be preferred because it places less long-term stress on the collarbone than attaching a plate.

Both procedures have a six-to-eight week recovery period which would clear Romo to take the field for the start of organized team activities in May.

Romo fractured his left clavicle on two separate occasions in a span of 10 weeks, limiting him to four games last season. He has broken the collarbone three times since the 2010 season. He said at a promotional event last month that "we're going to do the things that'll probably allow us to make sure that doesn't happen again.''

Romo first acknowledged the possibility of surgery the day after the Cowboys regular season came to an end. He indicated in that promotional event that all sides are on board about the best way to proceed but stopped short of announcing his intentions.

The Cowboys quarterback will be in San Francisco later this week to fulfill several commitments leading up to Super Bowl 50.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Source: Tony Romo leaning toward Mumford procedure over plate to help left collarbone

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon George on Twitter: @DMN_George

After three more weeks of consideration, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is leaning more toward undergoing a Mumford procedure on his left clavicle than attaching a plate over the mending collarbone, according to a source.

The Mumford procedure is where a portion of the distal clavicle is shaved off or removed.

Romo, however, has yet to make a final decision on the type of surgery he will have in March as he continues to gather facts and evaluate the benefits of each procedure that he's discussed with doctors.

"We don't have a final [decision]," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Tuesday morning from the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "Obviously that's something that he'll decide to have it or not decide to have it. It's preventative type surgery, and I think he's wanting to make sure if he does do it it's the right way to do it."

The Mumford procedure has been the preferred option, sources told Staff Writer David Moore earlier this month, because it places less long-term stress on the collarbone than attaching a plate. That approach is taken to reduce pain and discomfort where the clavicle meets the shoulder.

The other option, using a set of screws to attach a plate over Romo's left collarbone to limit the potential of fracturing it to become a recurring issue, isn't as ideal.

Both procedures have a six to eight week recovery period, which would clear Romo to take the field for the start of organized team activities in May.

Romo fractured his left clavicle on two separate occasions in a span of 10 weeks, limiting him to four games last season. He has broken his left collarbone three times since the 2010 season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Mumford procedure has been the preferred option, sources told Staff Writer David Moore earlier this month, because it places less long-term stress on the collarbone than attaching a plate. That approach is taken to reduce pain and discomfort where the clavicle meets the shoulder.
So basically one procedure will prevent the injury from happening again and the other won't. The guy has now broken his collarbone 3 times and we aren't concerned that he will break it again?:dunce

All I can say is I hope we draft one of these QB this year because they will be playing in week 6 when Romo breaks his collarbone again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So basically one procedure will prevent the injury from happening again and the other won't. The guy has now broken his collarbone 3 times and we aren't concerned that he will break it again?:dunce

All I can say is I hope we draft one of these QB this year because they will be playing in week 6 when Romo breaks his collarbone again.
Nope.

They will assume the surgery "fixes" it for the next three-four years (it's not a damn debate, guys).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope.

They will assume the surgery "fixes" it for the next three-four years (it's not a damn debate, guys).
I think some doctor has convinced Dallas brass that there is nothing about Romo's collarbone that is more likely to get hurt then any other QB. And I just don't buy that to be true after the guy broke the exact same collarbone 3 times now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
the whole damned bone needs to be replaced with a 3d printed copy of the original in pure titanium.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

And picking in the top 10 yet again.

Cotton

Staff member
Romo to have plate inserted...

Romo to have plate inserted...

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member