Cowboys Free Agent Watch Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I honestly see nothing worth bringing back. He can't generate a pass rush any more. He isn't as stout against the run as some of our DT/DE type D-lineman already on the roster. To me David Irvin would be a better choice. Not touting the guy as a future starter but I think Irvin flashed enough last year to at least be in consideration for some rotational time.
But like, he is a leader. And stuff.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It was clear early last season that there's significant role for Lance Dunbar

By David Moore , Staff Writer Contact David Mooreon Twitter:mad:DavidMooreDMN

Free agency for all NFL players begins on March 9.

The Cowboys have 16 free agents. Not all of them will depart for other teams. Here's a projection of the five who are most likely to stay.
No. 4 free agent most likely to return in 2016: Lance Dunbar, running back

Type: Unrestricted

2015 impact: After talking about the need to get Dunbar more involved, the coaching staff finally did. He caught 21 passes out of the backfield for 215 yards and was the team's leading receiver after four games. He carried the ball five times for 67 yards in that span, including breaking one for 45 yards. He was the biggest threat the Cowboys had after Dez Bryant went down in the season opener. The problem is Dunbar went down with a torn ACL while returning a kickoff against New Orleans on Oct. 4 and didn't return.

Why he's likely to return: It became clear early last season that there's a significant role in this offense for Dunbar. While he's flashed promise in his four seasons with Dallas, he hasn't shown the sort of sustained success that would have other teams beating down his door in free agency. Now that the Cowboys haven't gotten their arms around how to use Dunbar, it's unlikely he's want to give that up for a shot somewhere else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Screw Lance Dunbar. Unreliable. Good day, sir.

dallen

Senior Tech
I feel like Dunbar is the next guy we let go because we couldn't figure out how to use him who goes on to have a decent career afterwards

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I feel like Dunbar is the next guy we let go because we couldn't figure out how to use him who goes on to have a decent career afterwards
Dunbar has performed when used. His problem is he can't stay healthy. Because he is injury prone he just can't be relied on. He has probably missed more games than Sean Lee on a percentage basis.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How is he going to get on the field to prove it. He is a dime a dozen utility back.

dallen

Senior Tech
How is he going to get on the field to prove it. He is a dime a dozen utility back.
How is that any different from Danny Amendola or Martellus Bennett? Or even Jimmy Smith?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How is that any different from Danny Amendola or Martellus Bennett? Or even Jimmy Smith?
Get and stay on the field is what I meant.

They created a role for him last year and he couldn't follow through because, yes, he got hurt again.

The years before that it was him fumbling, tripping over his own feet and fumbling.

You can get a number of guys that can do better. I'd pick Bralon Addison in this draft. He is a RB/WR cross but better since he is decent on teams also.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So move on.
I agree with you. I've never been a big fan of Dunbar. I never got the big advantage of a RB who can't run with the ball. I mean on third down when he is in the backfield just cover the guy like you would a WR. It's that simple. The guy almost never carries the ball.

If he was going to be healthy for the offseason I might keep him around to compete. But with the injury and him starting on pup, he won't even be healthy to compete. I see no reason to bring him back. Let him get healthy and if we need a RB at that time he will probably still be sitting out there available.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys free agent watch: Is Mo Claiborne's time in Dallas over?
2:52 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys have 16 players set to become unrestricted free agents in March. In this series, we determine why a player should or should not return in 2016 and beyond.

Morris Claiborne

Position: Cornerback

NFL experience: Four years

2015 salary: $2.607 million

2015 statistics: In 11 games, Claiborne was credited with 42 tackles and nine pass deflections. He missed five games with hamstring and ankle injuries. He has not had an interception since Week 3 of the 2014 season.

Why he will be back: The Cowboys need cornerbacks. A lot of them. Their belief is that when Claiborne played, he played well, despite not intercepting a pass last season. Perhaps that is a stubbornness involved from moving up to the sixth pick in the draft to take him in 2012. He is young, having turned 26 on Feb. 7, and he showed some grit in coming back from a torn patellar tendon suffered in 2014. He works hard. He is a good kid. He does things the right way. The Cowboys could still see potential in a player they had rated as the best cornerback since Deion Sanders.

Why he will not be back: Claiborne will have a say in the matter. Though he often repeated a desire to remain a Cowboy when asked about his future last season, there has to be a feeling that change could serve him well. He will always be measured against his draft status here. Despite missing five games, he was penalized nine times, the most by a defensive player. At the time of the trade up to get him, the Cowboys were universally praised, but the results of the past four years show it was a mistake. They took a big swing and missed.

Chance to return: Low to moderate. Never say never with cornerbacks, even if Claiborne’s on-field performance has been spotty. The Cowboys could be in an either/or scenario with Claiborne and Brandon Carr, who has a $13.8 million cap figure. The tiebreaker should be availability. Carr has not missed a game in his career.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm cool with that as long as it isn't costly.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm ok with Claiborne and McClain returning for cheap deals. Here's the thing, you have so many holes in free agency that you might not be able to fill them all with players who will be for sure upgrades in reliable performance over McClain and Claiborne. A guy who is going to play all 16 games at a higher level than McClain is gonna either be outright unaffordable; or in the alternative, might be affordable but would probably preclude us from landing a significant player at a different position.

To propose a hypothetical... I can get McClain and Lamar Miller, since McClain is cheap... Or I can go out and get a better, more reliable player in Danny Trevathan but I can only then afford Joique Bell at RB.

I'll take the discount players we know and then swing for the fences at safety, RB, and DE, if that is an option for me. Then because McClain and Claiborne are cheap I can still address those spots in the draft if the opportunity presents itself and I don't feel bad moving on.

I want to get into the draft having no qualms about taking a QB first overall, a DT at 34, and a WR or RB in the third.

Top Bottom