Official Manziel To Dallas? Griffin To Dallas? Thread

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I fail to see why this would be a big deal on par with cheating that would merit the confiscation of a draft pick, or even any punishment at all.

They covered for his ass.... So what?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I fail to see why this would be a big deal on par with cheating that would merit the confiscation of a draft pick, or even any punishment at all.

I tend to agree. I don't condone their actions but it probably wouldn't be a big deal if it was someone else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The NFL does get pretty serious about their injury reports though for whatever reason. If they lied on that it could be an issue. But my understanding is the Browns have the medical reports to back their side up.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Why would the Brown's go out of the way like this to cover for Manziel, they have had no issues before disciplining him before.

If he had showed up to practice drunk I am pretty shure they would have cut or suspended him and they would not have waited this long to say they were cutting him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why would the Brown's go out of the way like this to cover for Manziel, they have had no issues before disciplining him before.

If he had showed up to practice drunk I am pretty shure they would have cut or suspended him and they would not have waited this long to say they were cutting him.
Don't be so sure. There is a PR aspect. Plus cutting him right away would have had significant cap ramifications to boot. I can see them trying to hide it.

Not easy to admit the guy is shooting your whole organization the middle finger right at the end of a shitty season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Agreed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Don't be so sure. There is a PR aspect. Plus cutting him right away would have had significant cap ramifications to boot. I can see them trying to hide it.

Not easy to admit the guy is shooting your whole organization the middle finger right at the end of a shitty season.
I was not talking about cutting him right away it was about doing earlier what they ended up doing just say they are moving on.

IMO if he showed up drunk it would be more than 1 guy saying he did.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Exactly. Like this doesn't happen all the time.

Daily occasion for Barry Switzer during the Cowboys mid-90's collapse.

At one point Jerry Jones paid off Everett McIver to keep him from pressing charges against Michael Irvin for stabbing him in the neck with scissors. Next to that cover-up, Manziel showing up drunk is model-citizenship.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Exactly. Like this doesn't happen all the time.

Daily occasion for Barry Switzer during the Cowboys mid-90's collapse.

At one point Jerry Jones paid off Everett McIver to keep him from pressing charges against Michael Irvin for stabbing him in the neck with scissors. Next to that cover-up, Manziel showing up drunk is model-citizenship.
The climate for tolerating behavior in the nfl 20 years ago was enormously different than it is today.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The climate for tolerating behavior in the nfl 20 years ago was enormously different than it is today.
It really shouldn't have been tolerated then either. That's one reason we collapsed. Jerry and Barry instilled zero discipline and let them get away with anything.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It really shouldn't have been tolerated then either. That's one reason we collapsed. Jerry and Barry instilled zero discipline and let them get away with anything.
I agree, but I'm referring to NFL league office discipline.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It definitely has, no doubt. It's been Goodell's mantra for sure and enforcing behavioral guidelines is what he's hung his hat on.

I don't think showing up drunk could ever be a reportable offense to the NFL, though. On a given day out of a pool of 1500 twenty-somethings there are going to be several hung over and some even high or drunk. That's just life.

In that case as a coach you run them until they hurl and maybe suspend or churn the fringe guys.

townsend

Banned
Kerrville isn't in North Texas, it's just a few miles NW of San Antonio.
I suspect he's been part of the DFW metroplex in some way or another most of his life. Obviously most of his legal trouble went down in Fort Worth, and I think his girl friend is from Deep Ellum. I think that level of social mobility enables you to be "from" several places.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
More talk that Cowboys don’t think RGIII is a fit in their offense

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2016, 2:59 PM EST

With Dallas in need of a backup quarterback and Washington set to release Robert Griffin III, there’s been plenty of talk that Griffin could end up with a star on his helmet.

But that talk has centered mostly on Griffin’s apparent desire to return to Texas, where he played high school and college football. A Griffin-to-Cowboys deal would also have to appeal to the Cowboys, and that doesn’t appear to be the case.

We noted last week that Griffin doesn’t seem to be a good fit for what the Cowboys want to do offensively, and today Ed Werder of ESPN reported that the Cowboys’ coaching staff doesn’t see Griffin’s skill set as a good fit for their schemes.

“Not a lot of people in Dallas think he’s a great fit in Jason Garrett’s offense, and I’m told that Scott Linehan, the offensive coordinator, is really not a fan of RGIII’s and doesn’t think he would excel with what the Cowboys would ask him to do,” Werder said on NFL Live.

Werder added that Johnny Manziel would have been a possibility if he had shown an ability to stay out of trouble off the field, but the most recent allegations of domestic violence will keep the Cowboys away. At the moment, the leading candidate to back up Tony Romo is Kellen Moore, who started the last two games of the 2015 season for the Cowboys. Dallas may add another quarterback in the draft or free agency, but don’t expect to see Griffin with the Cowboys.

:towel

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
“Not a lot of people in Dallas think he’s a great fit in Jason Garrett’s offense
But then who not named Tony Romo really is.

Top Bottom