Scruggs: Stop Talking About the Cowboys 'Window'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stop Talking About the Cowboys 'Window'

By Newy Scruggs

I get tired of hearing about the Cowboys approach to the 2016 NFL Draft should be about the club’s “window”. My twitter page gets loaded up with comments like that.

Or the whole take advantage of the “window” of quarterback Tony Romo argument for the justification of passing on a signal caller with the fourth overall pick.

4-12 teams don’t have a Super Bowl window.

Jason Garrett has coached the Cowboys for five full seasons and generated just one winning year.

That does not make a “window" friends.

Don’t give me the “If Romo and Dez are healthy” argument, either.

Tony Romo has produced an amazing career for an undrafted free agent. Let me say that again, he’s had an amazing career for a player every NFL club decided many times over he wasn’t worth drafting after winning the Walter Payton Award at Eastern Illinois. He’ll be 36-years-old this fall and recovering from another shoulder surgery. Window? The club hopes Romo can play 16 games for the first time since 2012.

The Cowboys have needs all over the place. Drafting a defensive end like Joey Bosa will not make Dallas a Super Bowl LI contender. To get this club into a true contending status like Carolina, Seattle or Arizona will take more than one draft and free agent signing period.

The blueprint has to be a longer term view. This may take two years to build a roster that is stocked for a long playoff run.

You can’t skip steps trying to build a true contender. That’s how you end up with the Greg Hardy’s and Randy Gregory’s of the world. I thought GM Jerry Jones learned his lesson when he was drafting quality and character guys on his offensive line. The last few years.

After a 12-4 season, too many moves were made for a 2015 Super Bowl “window”. You can’t skip steps. You have to build the club the right way. Jones went through this with Jimmy Johnson in the 1990s but forgets to stick with the plan anytime he gets a sniff off what he perceives is a contending club.

The Cowboys defense is not ready for a Super Bowl run. The front and the back have to improve dramatically to even talk about playing Super Sunday. Last year, Dallas was 25th in the league in sacks and 30th in picks. They can’t get to the quarterback or intercept him. Hard to beat the Cam Newtons and Aaron Rodgers of the world if you can’t put them on the ground or intercept their passes.

A better defense and a long term quarterback should be high priorities. They need a number two wide receiver since Terrance Williams and Devin Street have not stepped up to become difference makers. The Cowboys need better linebackers.

This club has holes-a-plenty and that is why I say the talk about a “window” is off based.

townsend

Banned
Tony Romo has produced an amazing career for an undrafted free agent. Let me say that again, he’s had an amazing career for a player every NFL club decided many times over he wasn’t worth drafting after winning the Walter Payton Award at Eastern Illinois. He’ll be 36-years-old this fall and recovering from
He's had an amazing career period. If your #1 overall pick had Romo's career it would still be amazing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
More like it's time to start talking about opening a new window.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I don't know about the whole window talk for any team in the league anymore. This isn't the 80's or 90's. Seems like every team reloads each year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't know about the whole window talk for any team in the league anymore. This isn't the 80's or 90's. Seems like every team reloads each year.
We could be one of those teams if we didn't handicap ourselves from the coach up.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I 'm of the opinion that the upcoming season is a put up or shut up season for Garrett. There won't be any more excuses left after nearly 9 years at the helm.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
There should be a window as long as you have a franchise QB, which we've had for a decade now.

But I do give Scruggs props for being one of the only DFW media guys who never bought into the Garrett fraud show.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
More like it's time to start talking about opening a new window.
You put a stud QB with this OL and you are never more than a few moves away from being a division winner. No rebuild needed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You put a stud QB with this OL and you are never more than a few moves away from being a division winner. No rebuild needed.
Yeah, I want to build this defense but a QB can carry an NFL team year in and year out. Especially with an O-line like ours that makes all your RB's look good.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Hence my preference for drafting Wentz or Goff. OR for that matter, a high QB every so often so we don't have a circumstance like last year. If the old regime had thought like this one we wouldn't have had the succession of really good QBs we had from Morton through White. They didn't worry about the emotional panty waisting of a QB because a potential future starter my make him feel uncomfortable. Tony says the right things and I have no reason to doubt him, but leadership needs the nads to keep the team prepped right at QB at all times. Especially with as injury prone is ours is.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Agreed. Things change way too fast. Windows are more for quarterbacks than teams, because they affect more than any three other positions put together.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's what I meant by opening a new window. Was not suggesting a rebuild. More like hiring a new Captain to run this ship in both QB and HC. New window opened.

townsend

Banned
That's what I meant by opening a new window. Was not suggesting a rebuild. More like hiring a new Captain to run this ship in both QB and HC. New window opened.
Yeah, really the old window's been shut since Garrett got the job.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Too bad that our owner is too fucking ignorant and senile to realize this.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Don't forget a new QB coach as well rather than that moron Wilson.

Top Bottom